Amtrak vs. Metra (chicago commuter rail)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So as I am getting ready for my upcoming trip I am trying to compare the ride I have taken on Metra in Chicago to what I can expect when riding Amtrak. Is there much difference? A few articles on the web I have read said Amtrak is a much more "stout" train set compared to the Metra rail consist and that there will be a comparable difference. What say my expert friends??

Without knowing what train(s) you will be riding or in what Class of Service, I can still say Amtrak will be many times more comfortable. On METRA you get a vinyl walkover seat and that's about it; of course since you're on the train for maybe an hour or so at most that is fine.

You will be pleasantly surprised when you step onto Amtrak.

Metra trains have the walk through between cars on the lower lever, Amtrak superliners have the walk through on the upper level. Bi-level cars sort of look same from the outside but are really designed differently. I think basic ride is the same - it all depends on the track roadbed. Of course, seating and accommodations are much nicer on Amtrak.

Amtrak accommodations are much more comfortable than what you find on Metra. Depending on where you're traveling to you can expect to find seat pitch far greater than coach on the airlines, some even better than first class on the airlines. Most Amtrak trains feature a Cafe Car which sell snacks, sodas, coffee, and light meals. Long distance trains feature Dining Cars where full meals are sold. I would highly recommend you visit the Travel Tips over at On Track On Line. Have a great trip!

For nearly any city pair served by both Amtrak and Metra, Amtrak will likely be faster.

Depends what cities your traveling to whether its cheaper or not. Amtrak has tickets from Chicago to nearby cities as cheap as $3. Most being $6.

Thanks everyone.. I will be in a roomette on SWC from Chicago to L.A. I am both excited and nervous at the same time.

Thanks everyone.. I will be in a roomette on SWC from Chicago to L.A. I am both excited and nervous at the same time.
That will be a luxurious experience compared to a Metra train.

(1) Get to Chicago Union Station earlier than you would arrive to catch a Metra train; Amtrak boards futher in advance of departure. Be sure to use the Metropolitan Lounge while waiting -- you're entitled to do so because you have a roomette. The regular waiting areas can get extremely crowded, but the Metropolitan Lounge is comfy. They will often board sleeper passengers directly from the Metropolitan Lounge. Once they march you out to the train, the sleeper attendants will generally be standing at the doors of the cars. One of them will be for your sleeper car -- if you show your ticket to the wrong one, they'll point you to the right one.

(2) You'll have "e-tickets" which means you can print out as many copies of the ticket as you want. Be sure to bring at least one copy!

(3) Meals in the diner are included with your sleeper ticket price. Be sure to ask *when* the diner meals are, since if you miss the window (by, for example, sleeping through breakfast-time) you will miss the meal. The times seem to vary by train and I don't remember the specific times on the Southwest Chief. Someone will come through to take reservations for lunch and dinner; if you are somehow not in the room when they take reservations, be sure to go to the diner to make a reservation. Breakfast is "show up and eat".

(4) The sleeper car attendant should make up your bed for you when you ask -- a popular time is while you are at dinner -- and should return the room to "daytime mode" when you ask -- a popular time is when you are at breakfast. People often tip the sleeper attendants, but this is a matter of discretion (there is no standard rate). Since you've never ridden in a sleeper before, let the sleeper car attendant know this and they'll probably tell you where the restrooms are, how all the buttons in the room work, etc.

(5) Be sure to visit the Sightseer Lounge. Many people think the most scenic part of the route is the "Raton Pass" between Colorado and New Mexico.

(6) When you get to Los Angeles, spend some time looking at historic LA Union Station if you can; it's worth it.

You'll (probably) love roomette travel; it's luxurious compared to riding a Metra train. Unless you've been on an ocean cruise liner or cruise train, you've probably never travelled at this level of luxury. You'll love the trip.

At first, I thought that the OP was asking for a difference in order to make a choice. If that was the case, the main arguments would be 1) cost, 2) comfort, and 3) speed.

Since the OP is travelling from CHI to LAX, then it is further made clear that the comparison is to establish a baseline of expectations. To that extent, all the replies have been excellent examples of the differences to expect on your adventure. Better service (more like an airline than a bus), food on board, almost comfortable seats (although I must say that there seems to be a bar right under the seat that makes my butt hurt after a couple of hours - bring an extra pillow), and just the sheer vastness of the landscape you will experience.

All in all, though Amtrak and Metra are both trains, they are not in any way the same experience.

Amtrak : METRA : : Greyhound : CTA
Like the analogy.

The advice above is spot on.

Don't fear - it will not be a 50 hours on the Yamanote Line kind of trip.

You will likely enjoy the ride, the scenery and the company.

That's why most of us long-timers are here --

we like the ride and the service and mostly the other passengers.

Have a great trip - it's very likely you will.

E

Amtrak : METRA : : Greyhound : CTA
Like the analogy.

The advice above is spot on.

Don't fear - it will not be a 50 hours on the Yamanote Line kind of trip.

You will likely enjoy the ride, the scenery and the company.

That's why most of us long-timers are here --

we like the ride and the service and mostly the other passengers.

Have a great trip - it's very likely you will.

E
I'll take one hour on the Yamanote. :D

I don't think you be on ANY train for 50 hours in Japan. I think their longest night train (which moves REAL slow, just so that passengers can actually sleep through the night) is the Twilight Express which is around 22 hours... You can take the bullet train in 6 hours. Big difference. Not any comparison to, say, Acela vs Silver from NYP to WAS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back