How many miles on Amtrak for you in 2012?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not enough :( Just WIL-WAS-WIL, WIL-PHL-WIL (NTD), PHL-WIL and PHL-HAR-PHL (Gathering).

Last edited by a moderator:
No idea how many miles, just a couple of trips, OKC-CHI-KAL one way, OKC-FTW round trip, OKC-AUS Round trip, and KAL-CHI-OKC next week. Only 2496 TQP's, (whcih isn't important to me at all) but 117,255 total points earned so far for the year....which IS the important number to me!

How are you folks figuring out the miles? At first I thought I would use TQP but then I remembered that it goes by dollars, not miles.

How are you folks figuring out the miles? At first I thought I would use TQP but then I remembered that it goes by dollars, not miles.
Some people keep a record of all their trips including the distance covered. If not, but if you do remember what trips you did, you can always go to the Amtrak System Timetable and look up the miles between your origin and destination shown besides every route and add them all up.

I keep a spreadsheet on Google Docs. Just takes a minute to update when I get back from a trip (get the miles from a timetable).

I'm just over 23,000 lifetime miles (not counting a ton of short BWI-WAS jumps).

I've been keeping a handwritten mileage log in a ring binder notebook since 1974...... I'm in some 60 pages and just over 142,000 total now. I make my calculations either by Amtrak (or VIA) timetable, a twenty-five year old Rand-McNally railroad atlas, or sometimes from old public timetables which predate Amtrak. Such was the case on the Roanoke NRHS excursion when I looked at a Norfolk & Western timetable from 1959.

The idea of a Google Doc spreadsheet sounds like fun...... might play with that over my Christmas Break.

I use an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of Amtrak travel. I've been a busy traveler this year: 18,800 miles, 21 nights in sleepers, and a little more than 2000 TQP.

These guys have nice products and I bought a 2nd edition atlas from them at a sharp discount right after their 3rd edition was published. Not sure if that's still possible because it's been at least 6-8 years ago now.

* YES - the order form which you can print and fax back to them indicates that the 2nd edition may be ordered still for $27.95.

http://www.deskmap.com/rr_mapping/atlase3.html

I use an excel/google docs spreadsheet to keep track of my mileage. I have 14,632 Amtrak miles in 2012. I also have SEPTA, NJ Transit, MARC and VIA 2012 miles. I am hoping to reach a total of 100,000 Amtrak cumulative miles sometime in 2013. OTOL is keeping track of my 2012 Amtrak miles.

I've been averaging about 2,000+ Amtrak miles per year for some time and 2012 was no different. Next year I am going to try and up that total a bit by taking more trips. For myself, Passenger rail is the only way to see the American landscape in comfort and relaxation.

Ugh! On train 95 now, heading to NPN, to meet Anderson at O'Dark Thirty tomorrow for inaugural of Norfolk train. A measly 3,500 TQP this year. I swear, I'm tempted to ride the NEC between now n Dec 31, just to make."Select". But in reality, it dunt gain me nuttin'.

Question for Alan B. Are most of your miles biz related?

My Amtrak mileage for 2012 comes to 4,951. In terms of mileage, this was my 2nd highest year.

This year, I rode 9 Amtrak trains, including trips from New Carrollton to Montréal and return, Denver to Salt Lake City, Los Angeles to San Diego, and Los Angeles to Washington.

I added the following 8 new (to me) Amtrak states in 2012: Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, and (not a state) Quebec. This brings my total number of states on Amtrak to 39 (+ DC and QC).

I rode 3 new (to me) Amtrak trains: the Adirondack (aced x2), the California Zephyr*, and the Southwest Chief (aced).

*The
Zephyr
was detouring between Denver and Salt Lake City via the Overland Route.
My lifetime Amtrak mileage stands at 21,626 miles. I first rode Amtrak in the summer of 2005. So far, the most miles I've ridden on Amtrak in one year is 7,047 in 2011.

Like Ryan, I keep trak of my mileage using a google spreadsheet. It's easy to update, and I can check it/update it from anywhere (including on my phone).

Happy to say we just did a little over 7,000 miles round trip from Boston to Riverside, CA and back to Boston from LA -with an extra trip on the Pacific Surfliner from Ventura to LA.

It's hard for me to tell, because I don't separate out Amtrak from other railroads, but my total this year was 32,312, of which about 4000 miles was in Japan and perhaps a few hundred on non-Amtrak trains. My lifetime total runs about 2.3 million now.

The way I was able to tell how many miles I got was through AGR. Rather than using the points, I looked at what the segments were, connected them up to a schedule with mileage, and added them up. Each SOL-VNC roundtrip nets me 244, going to LA one way VNC home gets me 225, etc. I had a couple missing points I should have filled out requests for, but too late now as they were back in January and February. I still remember what I did. The BIG one for me was LSL all the way CHI-BOS, and the 231 or so that BOS-NYP is. Other than that everything was in the Surfliner corridor, so I'm fairly happy with how I did.

The way I was able to tell how many miles I got was through AGR. Rather than using the points, I looked at what the segments were, connected them up to a schedule with mileage, and added them up. Each SOL-VNC roundtrip nets me 244, going to LA one way VNC home gets me 225, etc. I had a couple missing points I should have filled out requests for, but too late now as they were back in January and February. I still remember what I did. The BIG one for me was LSL all the way CHI-BOS, and the 231 or so that BOS-NYP is. Other than that everything was in the Surfliner corridor, so I'm fairly happy with how I did.
Doah! I was reporting "points", not "miles". My bad. Dunno how many actual miles. Stopped counting years ago. Some day maybe, when I retire, I'll count actual miles again.

Ryan, I thing if you and I get together in 2013, we could both "create" a lot of trips for "meetings" that we could justify for our "family situations".......... And they could be very short trips, early weekend mornings, on the NEC.

WPPYCES+ (With Proper Planning You Can Earn Select +) THAT's my motto for 2013!

My year to date total is about 7000 miles - mainly from LD trip between WAS and EMY (SF). I may squeeze in one more day trip to NYP before the year ends.

So far for this year, only 10,029 for a total of 16,817 since June, 2011 not like I keep track or anything. :p

Hurricane Sandy :( cancelled my NYC trip or it would be more, I'll be back in the spring.

I also plan on a short trip before the year is over.

Next year's plan is to try for 15,000 and I can't wait.

I'll be kicking off the year with a RT on the CONO

This year's total (... at least so far) is 14,268... Sadly, 364 miles less than my total mileage last year... Great, now I want to make a CHI run on a day off from work to fix that. I only need about 300 points to be able to have points enough for a round trip redemption :D

EDIT: Though it's a little funny - for less total mileage, I did some good TQP collection - 10,296, easily making my S+ goal for 2013 :D

3051. We only took the train to Chicago once since I worked weekends most of the year. 2013 will be much better since I'm back to a normal schedule. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back