Lake Shore Limited

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
U

USrail21

Lake Shore Limited is a Amtrak line from Chicago to New York City or Boston. But there are some problems. Lake Shore Limited shouldn't have to stop in Back Bay. It is just a mile from South Station. Back Bay shouldn't even be an Amtrak station. Only MBTA commuter rail. Also, why does LSL skip Yonkers? It goes straight to Croton-on-Hudson while passing Yonkers. Yonkers is a major station on Amtrak and Metro-North. But other than that, you can keep the rest of what LSL has.

Lake Shore Limited is a Amtrak line from Chicago to New York City or Boston. But there are some problems. Lake Shore Limited shouldn't have to stop in Back Bay. It is just a mile from South Station. Back Bay shouldn't even be an Amtrak station. Only MBTA commuter rail. Also, why does LSL skip Yonkers? It goes straight to Croton-on-Hudson while passing Yonkers. Yonkers is a major station on Amtrak and Metro-North. But other than that, you can keep the rest of what LSL has.
Back Bay is the second busiest Amtrak station in Mass; which is why it remains an Amtrak station. Take away Back Bay and you take away nearly 450,000 passengers or at least force them to board someplace else.

It skips Yonkers because by comparison to Croton-Harmon it isn't a major station, in fact Yonkers only sees half the number of passengers that Croton sees; 41,570 at Croton-Harmon vs. 20,433 at Yonkers. And passengers can transfer to either Metro North or other Amtrak trains if they do need Yonkers. So better that the LSL keeps moving, rather than adding a few more minutes to it's running time.

Back Bay is the second busiest Amtrak station in Mass; which is why it remains an Amtrak station. Take away Back Bay and you take away nearly 450,000 passengers or at least force them to board someplace else.

It skips Yonkers because by comparison to Croton-Harmon it isn't a major station, in fact Yonkers only sees half the number of passengers that Croton sees; 41,570 at Croton-Harmon vs. 20,433 at Yonkers. And passengers can transfer to either Metro North or other Amtrak trains if they do need Yonkers. So better that the LSL keeps moving, rather than adding a few more minutes to it's running time.
I told you Back Bay is one mile from South Station. You can literally walk that distance and Yonkers is the fourth largest city in NY.

I told you Back Bay is one mile from South Station. You can literally walk that distance and Yonkers is the fourth largest city in NY.
And I told you why things are the way they are. There is a reason for why things get done the way they get done, even if you don't happen to personally like them.

Only a fool would close a station that boards 450,000 passengers a year. It's the 23rd busiest Amtrak station in the country! You don't close such a station even if it is only 1 mile away from another station.

Unless of course it's your intent not to make money and serve your passengers.

And again, Yonkers may be a large city, but for Amtrak it's not a large station; it is a MINOR station stop. So the express train doesn't stop there! People living in Yonkers have plenty of options to catch the Lake Shore.

Last edited by a moderator:
And I told you why things are the way they are. There is a reason for why things get done the way they get done, even if you don't happen to personally like them.
Only a fool would close a station that boards 450,000 passengers a year. It's the 23rd busiest Amtrak station in the country! You don't close such a station even if it is only 1 mile away from another station.

Yeah, one mile from a station that serves more than twice as many people.

Last edited:

Who cares that it's only 1 mile away from another station? :unsure: It simply doesn't matter how far or how busy that other station might be; you simply don't close the 23rd busiest station, a station that serves 450,000 people a year. Closing that station would be insanity!

And since there is a sharp curve out of South Station with a max speed of I believe 25 MPH, it's not like the trains have to slow down from 150 MPH to stop at Back Bay. They're already going slow! So it adds very little time for a very popular stop.

I'm beginning to simply discount anything written/posted by US_rail_21.

Some if these comments have been simply asinine.

That said, the answer dear US_rail_21, is simple... money talks, BS walks. That's why Amtrak stops there.

That said, the answer dear US_rail_21, is simple... money talks, BS walks. That's why Amtrak stops there.
Strongly concur. I would suggest everyone stop wasting their time by dignifying his posts with responses. He's probably a plant from the auto-lobby trying to lure us away from productive things like lobbying for more and better rail service.

I believe that the '21' in the user's name is a big clue and I also believe that they think they're talking to Amtrak.

I also believe that I could be wrong or right about that.
rolleyes.gif

Btw... why does the forum allow 'guest' posters?

I've never been on a forum that does that.

Because the founding purpose of this forum was to give people a place to come and ask questions about Amtrak that couldn't be asked anyplace else or to which you'd get 3 different answers from 3 different people if you called Amtrak. And for many, it could just be one quick question or just one trip, so forcing them to register so as to be able to do that was deemed unnecessary.

And because railfans who have been out riding Amtrak are some of the best people to answer the questions, we also became a discussion forum for those fans.

I really appreciated the option to post my first question as a guest - it was very nice to be able to fire it off without having to go through a signup process. Since then, I've registered, as I discovered that the discussions are interesting. :)

Thankfully, the asinine guests seem to be relatively few, all things considered.

Because the founding purpose of this forum was to give people a place to come and ask questions about Amtrak that couldn't be asked anyplace else or to which you'd get 3 different answers from 3 different people if you called Amtrak. And for many, it could just be one quick question or just one trip, so forcing them to register so as to be able to do that was deemed unnecessary.

And because railfans who have been out riding Amtrak are some of the best people to answer the questions, we also became a discussion forum for those fans.
Thanks for the answer, Alan.

Makes more sense now.

Strongly concur. I would suggest everyone stop wasting their time by dignifying his posts with responses. He's probably a plant from the auto-lobby trying to lure us away from productive things like lobbying for more and better rail service.
Even better, just give him the old RailCon BuffDaddy heave ho.

Even better, just give him the old RailCon BuffDaddy heave ho.
I was just thinking of the similarities when I read this post. I don't think 21 has reached THAT level yet, but does seem to be on the same trajectory.

Lake Shore Limited is a Amtrak line from Chicago to New York City or Boston. But there are some problems. Lake Shore Limited shouldn't have to stop in Back Bay. It is just a mile from South Station. Back Bay shouldn't even be an Amtrak station. Only MBTA commuter rail.
Actually wouldn't it be even better if Lake Shore Limited doesn't stop at any of the intermediate stations? New York to Chicago with just two stops- Harmon and Albany, a tight 15 hour 45 minute schedule and yo baby! The 20th Century Limited is back!
rolleyes.gif

Amtrak should close the San Diego station because it is only three miles from the Old Town stop.

The PRR was not allowed by law to have its mainline go into DC, so the mainline instead went nowhere, while the 'sidetrack' went into DC...

Sometimes we get 3 separate answers from the same person on THIS forum. :lol: I lurked a long time before registering/posting and I learned a great deal. For all its real or perceived faults this is a great forum and appropriately moderated.

Who cares that it's only 1 mile away from another station? :unsure: It simply doesn't matter how far or how busy that other station might be; you simply don't close the 23rd busiest station, a station that serves 450,000 people a year. Closing that station would be insanity!

And since there is a sharp curve out of South Station with a max speed of I believe 25 MPH, it's not like the trains have to slow down from 150 MPH to stop at Back Bay. They're already going slow! So it adds very little time for a very popular stop.
All I said is that Back Bay shouldn't be an Amtrak station but MBTA commuter trains would serve it,

All I said is that Back Bay shouldn't be an Amtrak station but MBTA commuter trains would serve it,
And all I'm saying is that someone wanting Amtrak to cut Back Bay and the 450,000 rides it provides is someone who wants Amtrak to fail! You don't cut out stations that are in the top 25 for producing revenue. Period! It doesn't matter how close the next station is, you simply don't cut a station that provides 450,000 rides a year!

And all I'm saying is that someone wanting Amtrak to cut Back Bay and the 450,000 rides it provides is someone who wants Amtrak to fail! You don't cut out stations that are in the top 25 for producing revenue. Period! It doesn't matter how close the next station is, you simply don't cut a station that provides 450,000 rides a year!
No, I am trying to make Amtrak better and despite the business at Back Bay, South Station has 1,311,205. I am cutting Back Bay because it is once again a mile from South Station. The only reason it has a high ridership I bet is that they are too lazy to use MBTA commuter trains. Bet Back Bay will become a hot spot for MBTA if that station is cut from Amtrak. How about focus on bringing Amtrak service to major cities that don't have it like San Francisco or Phoenix.

mulveyr said:
1320787963[/url]' post='328556']
JoanieB said:
1320783754[/url]' post='328519']Btw... why does the forum allow 'guest' posters?

I really appreciated the option to post my first question as a guest - it was very nice to be able to fire it off without having to go through a signup process. Since then, I've registered, as I discovered that the discussions are interesting. :)

Thankfully, the asinine guests seem to be relatively few, all things considered.
Very much agree, I really enjoyed the fAct that I could post my Builder v limited question. The responses were mostly so informative I signed up soon after!

As for us rail 21 implying he's 21 years of age (or born in 1921 is another option!) it could be, but we can't know that for sure. E.g. My number has nothing to do with age or birth year, but rather the favorite seat I occupied for many years on my bi monthly commutes back home by train during college!

No, I am trying to make Amtrak better and despite the business at Back Bay, South Station has 1,311,205. I am cutting Back Bay because it is once again a mile from South Station. The only reason it has a high ridership I bet is that they are too lazy to use MBTA commuter trains. Bet Back Bay will become a hot spot for MBTA if that station is cut from Amtrak. How about focus on bringing Amtrak service to major cities that don't have it like San Francisco or Phoenix.
Cutting revenue doesn't make Amtrak better. It makes it worse!

And again, since no Amtrak train can even get above 25 MPH between South Station and Back Bay there is no point to cutting the station. Again, it's not like your taking the train down from 150 MPH to a dead stop. The train is barely moving when it gets to Back Bay. And going north, the trains will still have to slow down before Back Bay in order to be going the correct speed to negotiate the curve into South Station.

So cutting Back Bay at most would save 2 minutes running time. You don't sacrifice 450,000 people to save 2 minutes. If it were 20 minutes, maybe you'd have think about it.

And Back Bay provides the direct link to North Station via the Orange line, so cutting it would make transfers to the Downeaster that much harder, at least until you come up with the $20 Billion or so to build your tunnel. Back Bay is also a hotel Meca, so for tourists it is a much better stop than South Station is.

Next, Back Bay is already a huge stop for the MBTA, they don't need a reason to make it busier. And they don't need to sit in that station longer to board Amtrak passengers bound to South Station, since they're tying up the mainline tracks and preventing Amtrak trains from getting to South Station.

Moving on, no one in their right mind is going to pay Amtrak prices if they can use a T commuter line, except maybe for those looking for an express ride to Providence. And they're going to board Amtrak no matter what. But I frequently ride the corridor to Boston and I can assure you that most passengers getting on at BBY aren't going to Providence, they are going further down the line. Forcing them to ride over to South Station is just a waste of everyone's time & money. Amtrak gains nothing by skipping that stop and it loses millions if it does!

Finally, cutting Back Bay in no way shape or form is going to do anything to help get Amtrak service into San Fran or Phoenix. You'd lose more money than you could ever save by cutting BBY, making it that much harder for Amtrak to ever try to get into those cities you've mentioned.

FORGET BACK BAY! It's not a problem; it's profit center for Amtrak. Cutting it only hurts Amtrak!

Cutting revenue doesn't make Amtrak better. It makes it worse!

And again, since no Amtrak train can even get above 25 MPH between South Station and Back Bay there is no point to cutting the station. Again, it's not like your taking the train down from 150 MPH to a dead stop. The train is barely moving when it gets to Back Bay. And going north, the trains will still have to slow down before Back Bay in order to be going the correct speed to negotiate the curve into South Station.

So cutting Back Bay at most would save 2 minutes running time. You don't sacrifice 450,000 people to save 2 minutes. If it were 20 minutes, maybe you'd have think about it.

And Back Bay provides the direct link to North Station via the Orange line, so cutting it would make transfers to the Downeaster that much harder, at least until you come up with the $20 Billion or so to build your tunnel. Back Bay is also a hotel Meca, so for tourists it is a much better stop than South Station is.

Next, Back Bay is already a huge stop for the MBTA, they don't need a reason to make it busier. And they don't need to sit in that station longer to board Amtrak passengers bound to South Station, since they're tying up the mainline tracks and preventing Amtrak trains from getting to South Station.

Moving on, no one in their right mind is going to pay Amtrak prices if they can use a T commuter line, except maybe for those looking for an express ride to Providence. And they're going to board Amtrak no matter what. But I frequently ride the corridor to Boston and I can assure you that most passengers getting on at BBY aren't going to Providence, they are going further down the line. Forcing them to ride over to South Station is just a waste of everyone's time & money. Amtrak gains nothing by skipping that stop and it loses millions if it does!

Finally, cutting Back Bay in no way shape or form is going to do anything to help get Amtrak service into San Fran or Phoenix. You'd lose more money than you could ever save by cutting BBY, making it that much harder for Amtrak to ever try to get into those cities you've mentioned.

FORGET BACK BAY! It's not a problem; it's profit center for Amtrak. Cutting it only hurts Amtrak!
Then how about only Northeast Regional stops in Back Bay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back