Luggage storage in bedrooms

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I will be travelling on several LD trains in Ocotber with my husband. We will have bedrooms on all the trains, two superliner trains and one viewliner. I have only been in a viewliner bedroom before (on Silver Star) and this time we will be on LSL, SWC and CL. When I was on the Silver Star, there was plenty of room to bring relatively large suitcases into the bedroom. There was a large open storage area on top of the private bathroom with a bar so the suitcase didn't fall off. There was also a storage area on top of the exit door with another bar. Do these areas exist on LSL, SWC, CL? Do you think we could bring two suitcases in plus our 2 small carry on backpacks? I'd rather not check anything unless I have to.

Thank you.

I will be travelling on several LD trains in Ocotber with my husband. We will have bedrooms on all the trains, two superliner trains and one viewliner. I have only been in a viewliner bedroom before (on Silver Star) and this time we will be on LSL, SWC and CL. When I was on the Silver Star, there was plenty of room to bring relatively large suitcases into the bedroom. There was a large open storage area on top of the private bathroom with a bar so the suitcase didn't fall off. There was also a storage area on top of the exit door with another bar. Do these areas exist on LSL, SWC, CL? Do you think we could bring two suitcases in plus our 2 small carry on backpacks? I'd rather not check anything unless I have to.

Thank you.
On the Superliners, the bedrooms basically have only a shelf over the arm chair in the room for a bag. Our standard roller carry-on just fits in the space. You might also be able to cram a small backpack into the area between the chair and the wall.
If you don't want to check bags, just put them in the luggage storage "cubbies" that are located in the lower level of the train next to the entry door. That way you can have access to them during your trip without cluttering up your room.

Thank you.
The Superliners have a downstairs Luggage Rack by the Door when you get on, Big Suitcases can be left here so as to not have to lug them upstairs!You only really need to take what you need to the room, but can can have access anytime to the Luggage downstairs in this rack! The Bedrooms have some Space for you and your Luggage but not as much as a Viewliner!! (Bedroom A has a little less than B-E)

Most of us recommend that you get a RedCap to take you and your Luggage to your Train, theyll ride you on a cart, get you there before the other pax board, and take your Luggage top your room for a few $$! A great deal! ^_^

In Chicago you can leave your Luggage in the check room in the Metro Lounge while you explore the City/have Lunch.(remember to tip). In LA, the Traxx Lounge is where First Class pax wait foir the Starlight so your Luggage can be with you there to before the RedCap picks up up for the long trip to the Platforms!

Last edited by a moderator:

Thank you.
The Superliners have a downstairs Luggage Rack by the Door when you get on, Big Suitcases can be left here so as to not have to lug them upstairs!You only really need to take what you need to the room, but can can have access anytime to the Luggage downstairs in this rack! The Bedrooms have plenty of Space for you and your Luggage! (Bedroom A has a little less than B-E) to store your luggage, shouldnt be any problem! Most of us recommend that you get A RedCap to take you and your Luggage to your Train, theyll ride you on a cart, get you there before the other pax board, and take your Luggage top your room for a few $! A great deal! ^_^
I might add that the luggage rack by the door is fully accessible i.e. even while the train is moving, you can walk down the stairs, grab the bag stored there and look for something in it - or just bring it back to your room to do so. On our last superliner trip, we brought up the bag with our dirty clothes in it after taking our showers and added more to it.

Another tip, take two smaller bags with one containing everything you plan to use on the train and store the other below. Or if you only have one big bag, throw a collapsible one in it, then either before boarding or after lugging it up to your room, pull it out & put your needs in the small bag and put the big one in the rack. After you leave the train you can then throw the stuff and the collapsible bag back in the big one. We do that when having to check bags on a plane. We check one big bag with a small one inside; remove it at the hotel so we can use the small one as needed (like leaving the big one in the rental car as we travel); then put it back before returning on the plane. Saves those stupid bag fees. Another trick for planes - a bag containing medical equipment is exempt from the carry-on limit so I throw my CPAP (and its bag) in a small carry-on. That gets me on the plane. At the other end, I now have an extra small suitcase for traveling.

The space above the door and the space above the bathroom do not exist in the superliner sleepers. This is because these are double decker cars so the ceiling is not as high in the bedrooms. There is a small shelf above the single chair and I have also put a rollerboard (suitcase that one can carry on a plane) underneath the chair in the bedroom.

Defintely room for two backpacks and a suitcase - but probably not two suitcases. But like the others have said, store the suitcases on the lower level rack and you will be fine.

Also, definitely use the redcaps, but they don't necessarily have golf carts in all locations. But they will still help you with your bags at all of the stations that they are in!

I have traveled in bedroom C on superliners and between my grandma's suitcase, my suitcase, and my backpack, we were able to fit it all in relatively comfortably. There's a closet with coat hangers that a backpack fits in, and one suitcase was able to go under the chair as well as the couch/lower bed. I wouldn't worry about it much. The luggage racks can hold any extra

We just got back from a trip on the EB and I took the advice of the people here and packed a small bag for the room. The small bag contained my sleeping stuff, tooth brush, two days change of clothes and snaks. My small bag fit on the shelf over the chair, my wife's bag fit nicely under the chair. There was room under the lower bunk/couch for my laptop case. Our bags were always accessible in the lower storage area. When we got on the the train in Portland we stopped off at the Sleeper Lounge and they took all of our bags. They put the big ones in the storage area and took the small ones and my laptop right up to our room. It really worked out nice.

Our airplane carry-on's have a depth of 9 inches. Does any one know if this will fit under the couch. We will have a bedroom with 2 of those type of carry-on's

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. We will just make sure we keep some space in those rollers so we can push them down a bit if needed.

I always leave larger suitcases in the lower luggage rack in Superliners. I feel there is no need to carry large bags up a stairway that has 2 90º turns in the span of just over 1/3 the width if a car!
ohmy.gif
I have seen many people do this, and either have trouble - or get stuck on the turns, and everyone else boarding has to back up (or even get off the train) so they can come back down!
angry.gif

Our airplane carry-on's have a depth of 9 inches. Does any one know if this will fit under the couch. We will have a bedroom with 2 of those type of carry-on's
We took two 9" deep carryons on our last trip and they fit just fine under the seats in the bedroom. There are only a few drawbacks:

1) Be careful with the outside / front compartments on your suitcase - they may snag on the seat reclining mechanisms. Just slide them (don't shove them) under the seats and you'll be fine, unlike me.

2) You won't have access to them once the bed is lowered. I recommend pulling them out before your CSA makes up the bed for the night if you need stuff out of them.

We took two 9" deep carryons on our last trip and they fit just fine under the seats in the bedroom. There are only a few drawbacks:

1) Be careful with the outside / front compartments on your suitcase - they may snag on the seat reclining mechanisms. Just slide them (don't shove them) under the seats and you'll be fine, unlike me.

2) You won't have access to them once the bed is lowered. I recommend pulling them out before your CSA makes up the bed for the night if you need stuff out of them.

Thanks for the heads up. I may take something just to cover the surface. We will also leave the pockets empty. I will not have trouble getting these up the stairs.

Thanks for the heads up on the access as well. We will have some time to figure things out. We are going to have 12 nights on various trains over a 3 week period. (All Superliner)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back