Houston Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do hope our light rail becomes useful to more people. Here is a map of the planned expansion, can't start soon enough.
Thanks for the link.

I'm definitely looking forward to coming back to Houston when more sections are open.

I can't see why the present line gets so much negativity.

I do hope our light rail becomes useful to more people. Here is a map of the planned expansion, can't start soon enough.
Thanks for the link.

I'm definitely looking forward to coming back to Houston when more sections are open.

I can't see why the present line gets so much negativity.
The Houston light rail line is well patronized and quite useful. The end of track at S. Fanin is really a large park and ride lot for people coming off the freeway nearby and is usually full. I use it to get to the medical center from Katy. I take the Kingsland park and ride express bus downtown and change to rail to get out to the medical center. It's faster than driving and cheaper than paying to park down there. The rail line and the express bus were well patronized every time I used them. The problem with the Austin rail line is it misses every important revenue generating stop as in the University, the Hospital district, the Capitol and the airport. It by passes them all. What were they thinking?

The problem with the Austin rail line is it misses every important revenue generating stop as in the University, the Hospital district, the Capitol and the airport. It by passes them all. What were they thinking?
Indeed. The light rail already includes one University of Houston campus, Rice University, downtown, the medical center, and Reliant Stadium. Expansion will add another UH campus, Saint Thomas University, Texas Southern University, and the Galleria.

The problem with the Austin rail line is it misses every important revenue generating stop as in the University, the Hospital district, the Capitol and the airport. It by passes them all. What were they thinking?
What they were thinking is that they already owned the tracks out to Leander and starting a rail line out there would be the cheapest way to go.

It doesn't help that the line goes through the large suburb of Cedar Park which is not part of Austin Metro so the train doesn't stop.

The last time I rode Cap Metro the train went so far out of town I saw deer along the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
What they were thinking is that they already owned the tracks out to Leander and starting a rail line out there would be the cheapest way to go.

It doesn't help that the line goes through the large suburb of Cedar Park which is not part of Austin Metro so the train doesn't stop.

The last time I rode Cap Metro the train went so far out of town I saw deer along the way.
In the beginning year of service trains would turn before Leander for lack of pax going that far. Things have picked up since then. Cedar Park is not doing their citizens any favors watching the train fly by the water tower and no station.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back