What's your favorite railroad song?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally don't know of any, anybody have a link to a site that might list and/or download some of these songs.

These are some I found on a website when doing a google search. You probably download then off Win-Mx.

Casey Jones

Freight Train Boogie

City of New Orleans

Mystery Train

Cannonball

Big Black Train

Red Ball to Natchez

Take the "A" Train

Waiting for a Train

Life's Railway to Heaven

Old Train

Bringing in the Georgia Mail

Train 45

Last Cannonball

I heard my Dad, who was born in 1909 and died in 1979, sing only one song while I was growing up. The song was "The Wreck of Old 97" that was written about a mail train wreck in Virginia in 1905, I believe. I guess for lots of reasons and memories it is my favorite train song.

"He Was Found In The Wreck With His Hand On The Throttle And Was Scalded To Death By The Steam"

God!! Who came up with this topic? :blink:

Anyway, when I was 3 years old I had a little record player and Mom would buy records to keep me out of her way. I would sit in my room and play records like "Lttle Tin Soldier".

And when I was bad, I would get sent to my room and out came the records. I don't know why, but I would play the same record over and over until my parents went "nuts" and release me from my punishment. Oh, did I mention I am an only child?? :rolleyes:

What was my favorite song?

"Little Red Caboose!"

And I still know the words!!!! :p

I also had a favorite book!!!

"The Little Engine that Could"

Please don't ask anymore embarassing questions!! :angry:

Thanks! :p

B)

I am not sure who did the song, But some of the word are .

I Working on the railroad

Guy

When I was growing up in New York (where we naturally had a feeling of superiority over all others, especially southerners and small town folk), my father used to sing "Wabash Canonball" just to annoy my sister who, at 13 or so, was easily annoyed. :rolleyes:

Lots of good trains songs around - but one popularized by Johnny Cash in the pre-Amtrak late 60's is still pretty relevant today. In "I've Got a Thing About Trains" he sadly laments the demise of passenger rail . . . . . . and at the risk of being wordy, I quote:

I get a sad kind of feeling when I see a passenger train

In this fast movin' world that we live in nobody rides 'em much these days

Maybe I'm a little sentimental cause I know that things have to change

But I'd still like to go for a train ride cause I've got a thing about trains

Train, train, train, you're fading from the scene

But you've had your days of glory, train, train, train

[ guitar ]

Train they say you're too slow for travelin' but I'm gonna miss you some day

When my little boy says daddy what was it like to ride a train

I'll just say it was a good way to travel when things didn't move quite so fast

And I'm sorry son that you can't ride one because trains are the thing of the past

Train train train you're fading from the scene

And I'm gonna mourn your passing becuase I've got a thing about trains

Wow, still brings a tear to the eye all these years later!

Spot1181 you beat me to the draw on Chattanooga Ccoo Choo, and Atchison Topeka and Santa Fe. ALso, about Johnny Cash, he also wrote something about the "South WInd',a, real train, a streamliner, which used to run from Chicago to Miami.

RKA, regarding "Wreck of old 97"--yes, it was a real mail train wreck as you thought...well documented. In that song there is a line which says. ".....it was not 38, but it was ol' 97...." The "38" referred to in that line was an older train number for the Crescent.. Its old nujmbers were 37-38. A touch of genuine authenticity , there. The wreck happened between Lynchburg and Danville, as you well know from the song. I think of it often when I ride through on today's Crescent. My mother used to sing that song(and a million others).

On the subject of "On the Atchison Topeka and the Santa FE" I used to play that over and over as a child. Ir was current then.

Is anyone here familiar with the "Johnny Rockets" resaurant chain? It is a 50-ish hamburger type place with a juke box on in it. You can slip a nickel or dime(don't rememer which)inthe slot and select your tunes...there at the counter...as in the past. SO, if I when find "On the AT&SF" on it, I usually play it about three times.....hopefully nobody ever figurest who the nut is doing that...........

To GWR's reference to, I think the same song I remember. "I've Been Working on the Railroad".....it went on to say "all the live-long day......." We sang it as school children. It made some railroad jargon reference to steam engines going to the roundtable........

Guys....

We're really scratching aren't we? Anyway, without a doubt the greatest railroad song ever written and recorded was Gordon Lightfoot's "Canadian Railroad Trilogy" about 30 years ago.

I've just been listening to a thirty-two second clip of "On The Atcison Topeka and the Santa Fe" its sound great, I can't wait to hear the full version once my father can find it.

These are two that stick in my mind.....

Wabash Canonball- (play it on my dobro..... poorly)

That song from the old Good N Plenty commercial about Choo Choo Charlie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back