First Time Empire Builder Questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

smh219

Hello!

I just have a few questions before I depart for my first Amtrak trip EVER on the Empire Builder. I'm taking coach and most of the advice I have seen is for those who have the rooms.

1. I will be bringing my laptop - will there be a secure place to store it if I get up and walk around?

2. How typical is it to get someone sitting next to you - or do people spread out fairly easily? I would really want a seat by the window.

3. Will there be a place to freshen up? Even if it's just washing my face in the bathroom...?

4. What's the typical price of food on the EB? Do they only take cash? Do you recommend eating on the train, or bringing sandwiches and stuff?

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it! Looking forward to my trip!

Here are the quick answers. Others will fill in:

1. No

2. Depends on how full the train is

3. Yes

4. In my opinion food, whether from the dining car or cafe is a bit pricey. There being few other options, it's not a bad deal, however. You can bring your own food, but I suggest eating in the dining car, if it's within your budget. If the machine is working, they will take credit cards.

To provide further answers:

1) No. If you go to the dining car or lounge car, I would bring it with you.

2) You have a 50/50 chance of getting a window seat. But of my trips, I can count on my fingers the number of times that I had an aisle seat - and have many fingers left over.

3) Coach has 5 rest rooms in the car.

4) As stated, food can sometimes be pricey. To lower costs, I personally eat just breakfast and/or dinner. If I want something else, there's always the lounge car, or at a longer stop you may get a chance to get something from a vending machine at the station.

Enjoy the trip! :)

I've been on it twice from Chicago to Seattle. You didn't say where you're boarding, but from Fargo to Chicago the train usually fills up pretty well. If you get on in Fargo going to Chicago, you might not get a window seat.

Going the other way, if you get on in Fargo you'll have better luck getting the window seat.

However, I've traveled on the EB in May and September, when school was still in session and there weren't a whole lot of vacationers. The summer months could be very crowded and then it's anyone's guess what seat you'd get.

I agree that the food is pricey. I always take a sandwich to eat the first night on the train and buy lounge car food for lunch the next day. Coach passengers don't get first choice for the dining times and usually the only time choice I was given for dinner was after 8pm, so again, I usually get something from the lounge car. I almost always have breakfast in the diner.

In Havre, you can get a chicken dinner, which is pretty good. They take the order before you get to Havre and then they distribute the dinners after the train leaves the station.

About the laptop, the rule of thumb is to keep anything of value with you as you move throughout the train. It could be safe, but then, it might not be safe. No sense in taking the chance that it could be stolen.

You guys are all missing the point on eating in the diner -- meeting other people!! That's the best part of the diner experience. My wife and I met great folks while dining on the SWC two years ago, and we're looking forward to the same when we travel the EB next week going to Montana from Chicago.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that eating in the diner is one of the most enjoyable parts of the trip, BUT the OP asked

4. What's the typical price of food on the EB? Do they only take cash? Do you recommend eating on the train, or bringing sandwiches and stuff?
and I responded to that question. My reply was that it can be pricey, and when I travel coach (yes I do sometimes!), and I am paying for the meals myself, I usually skip lunch in the diner to lower costs. I'm still there for 2 out of 3 meals!

I agree that eating in the diner is one of the most enjoyable parts of the trip, BUT the OP asked
and I responded to that question. My reply was that it can be pricey, and when I travel coach (yes I do sometimes!), and I am paying for the meals myself, I usually skip lunch in the diner to lower costs. I'm still there for 2 out of 3 meals!
And I guess my response was meant to say "eat on the train"...but I understand it can be pricey. If it's an LD train, we always go sleeper, so our meals are included.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your comments and suggestions. I would get a sleeper if I could afford it (college student here). And yeah, I looked into the student advantage card, but I'm not sure how often I'll be riding the train to use it. I think I'll eat one meal in the dining car and the rest will just bring sandwiches to save money. Does the dining car take debit cards? Or just cash? (Sorry for such a dumb question!)

Regarding the busyness/window seat factor, I'll be boarding in Milwaukee and going all the way to Edmonds, WA. I'm not sure if May 21st most schools are out, if it will be busy - I'm hoping that most schools let out in June (ours is earlier) so there will be the calm before the storm. Any thoughts on this?

As for my laptop I am not sure what I will do other than keep all my valuables (cash, cards, etc) in my laptop case and just tote it with me instead of my purse everywhere. The Kensington lock looks cool, but again, I don't have a lot of funds. :(

Thanks again!

Hi everyone,
Thanks for your comments and suggestions. I would get a sleeper if I could afford it (college student here). And yeah, I looked into the student advantage card, but I'm not sure how often I'll be riding the train to use it. I think I'll eat one meal in the dining car and the rest will just bring sandwiches to save money. Does the dining car take debit cards? Or just cash? (Sorry for such a dumb question!)

Regarding the busyness/window seat factor, I'll be boarding in Milwaukee and going all the way to Edmonds, WA. I'm not sure if May 21st most schools are out, if it will be busy - I'm hoping that most schools let out in June (ours is earlier) so there will be the calm before the storm. Any thoughts on this?

As for my laptop I am not sure what I will do other than keep all my valuables (cash, cards, etc) in my laptop case and just tote it with me instead of my purse everywhere. The Kensington lock looks cool, but again, I don't have a lot of funds. :(

Thanks again!
As long as your Debit Card has the Visa or Master Card logo on it, it can be ran as a Credit Card. The dinner menu on the EB typically consists of the baked "half chicken" with vegetables( around $15 If memory serves correctly), Flat Iron Steak ($22), Chef's Special, or the Vegetable Ravioli ($10 I believe). If money is a factor, Breakfast and Lunch run a bit cheaper.

As you will be traveling before Memorial Day, you should have no problem getting a window seat. The train should not be that full between Chicago and Milwaukee. If by chance all the window seats are taken when you board (highly unlikely), talk to your car attendant about moving to a window seat when one opens up. It shouldn't be a problem.

1. I will be bringing my laptop - will there be a secure place to store it if I get up and walk around?
A Kensington Computer Lock might be a solution if their is a suitable place to lock it to! However, I would encourage others who have more experience than I in this area to chime in with their opinion.
I'll chime in.

I have left my computer at my seat and never had an issue. Just close it and maybe put some papers of a piece of clothing over it. That being said, DO NOT leave it unattended during station stops as somebody can run off with it. It's a dumb idea to take something on the train...

Also, do NOT put it on the lower level luggage rack. It is safer at your seat than down there. Remember, there's sixty other people on that car-- while they might not say anything or notice anything odd their very presence is enough to deter would be thieves.

Of course... I am a "risk taker" by most people's standards. That doesn't change 11K in miles, on the EB too-- and never had a problem.

How fortunate - not only is this my first post after a good long time lurking, but I'm taking my first trip on the Empire Builder next week, too.

Now here's my first-timer question: I've got a roomette on the Capitol Limited then the EB, so I know my meals are all taken care of. But being a vegetarian, I don't know if I have to (or should) do anything ahead of time to make sure that there's going to be meals for me, i.e. calling ahead, as you would before taking a long-distance flight. I know there are supposed to be veggie-friendly options on board, but I also know that counting on things that are 'supposed' to be there occasionally leads to a letdown. Should I take it for granted that the "veggie option" won't run out, or put in a call just to make sure?

Well the choice is your really, but personally I would suggest calling to arrange special meals for one major reason. If you stick with what's available on the menu, you'll be eating the same thing for 3 days straight basically. Most likely a pasta dish too.

By calling to make special arrangements, you'll have a bit more variety.

When I called last year about special meals, I was told that they don't take requests.

Particularly, because they're supposed to always have a vegetarian option, they won't even note it in your reservation.

When I called last year about special meals, I was told that they don't take requests.
Particularly, because they're supposed to always have a vegetarian option, they won't even note it in your reservation.
They do have vegetarian options on every meal. Whether you actually get it or not... is another matter.

They do NOT have vegan options. So if the Kias here wants vegan, then they should call.

There's no need to note vegetarian since they will have some... but vegan is another matter-- they will note that.

Vegetarian is good enough for me - I'm just not up to giving up cheese on my pizza, butter on my bagels, eggs in my omelets and cream in my ice cream. Thanks!

Vegetarian is good enough for me - I'm just not up to giving up cheese on my pizza, butter on my bagels, eggs in my omelets and cream in my ice cream. Thanks!
They do run out of the vege options now and again, so sometimes its wise to get an early reservation in if you can.

I've been on it twice from Chicago to Seattle. You didn't say where you're boarding, but from Fargo to Chicago the train usually fills up pretty well. If you get on in Fargo going to Chicago, you might not get a window seat.
Going the other way, if you get on in Fargo you'll have better luck getting the window seat.

However, I've traveled on the EB in May and September, when school was still in session and there weren't a whole lot of vacationers. The summer months could be very crowded and then it's anyone's guess what seat you'd get.
This applies to all routes: Be proactive to better your chances for a window seat. You need to be ready to pounce at major stops along the way where many are likely to be getting off. Go on a recon mission and check out the destination tags. Be near that seat when vacated before it dawns on others.

Be sure and take your destination tag with you when you move to your new location. If you are away from your (especially a window) seat when the train is full, leave items in your seat to let new boarders at stops, and other potential poachers know it is taken.

Consider checking out the other coaches for a place to park for viewing but keep your destination tag at the old location in case you get bumped.

You guys are all missing the point on eating in the diner -- meeting other people!! That's the best part of the diner experience. My wife and I met great folks while dining on the SWC two years ago, and we're looking forward to the same when we travel the EB next week going to Montana from Chicago.

I agree with you on the point of the experience of meeting other people that enjoy your way of travel! As a matter of fact , that was probably the most interesting part of my trip, MEALS!!!!

ENJOY!!!!!!!!! :)

I may be a risk taker, but when I travel in coach with a laptop, I simply put it in the bag and shove it into the overhead bin when not in use. I never had a problem with that. Also, one redeeming factor of having a seatmate is that they can keep and eye on your stuff for you (you'll have to make the call as to whether you can trust them, of course :) )

This applies to all routes: Be proactive to better your chances for a window seat. You need to be ready to pounce at major stops along the way where many are likely to be getting off. Go on a recon mission and check out the destination tags. Be near that seat when vacated before it dawns on others.
If you do that on a LD route, check with the car attendant for that car. He or she may have blocked that seat as available for passengers getting on! ;)

I've had that happen to the seat I was in on the CS. I boarded at PDX, and was given an aisle seat for my trip up to OLW. The guy in the window seat got off in Kelso, so I moved over, but a woman got on at Kelso and was assigned that window seat. Luckily, she did not mind sitting in the aisle seat.

I agree with you on the point of the experience of meeting other people that enjoy your way of travel! As a matter of fact , that was probably the most interesting part of my trip, MEALS!!!!ENJOY!!!!!!!!! :)
But you may be seated next to an idiot like ME! :lol:

But I agree that one of the best parts of train travel is the chance to meet other people! :)

How fortunate - not only is this my first post after a good long time lurking, but I'm taking my first trip on the Empire Builder next week, too.
Now here's my first-timer question: I've got a roomette on the Capitol Limited then the EB, so I know my meals are all taken care of. But being a vegetarian, I don't know if I have to (or should) do anything ahead of time to make sure that there's going to be meals for me, i.e. calling ahead, as you would before taking a long-distance flight. I know there are supposed to be veggie-friendly options on board, but I also know that counting on things that are 'supposed' to be there occasionally leads to a letdown. Should I take it for granted that the "veggie option" won't run out, or put in a call just to make sure?
Having taken both of those trains last month, I can say that the only vegetarian option you will have dinner wise is the Vegetarian Pasta. It's not bad, though it does get a bid old after a couple of days. On the Empire Builder they did offer a Veggie Burger on the lunch menu(garden burger pattie instead of a meat pattie). For breakfast I opted to have the Railroad French toast. I know cold cereal and bagels were available on the CL so I'm assuming they are also available on the EB. If you are on the EB long enough to have dinner both nights, make an early dinner reservation on the last night as they typically do run out of the Vegetarian Pasta dish on the last night of the run.

Having taken both of those trains last month, I can say that the only vegetarian option you will have dinner wise is the Vegetarian Pasta. It's not bad, though it does get a bid old after a couple of days. On the Empire Builder they did offer a Veggie Burger on the lunch menu(garden burger pattie instead of a meat pattie). For breakfast I opted to have the Railroad French toast. I know cold cereal and bagels were available on the CL so I'm assuming they are also available on the EB. If you are on the EB long enough to have dinner both nights, make an early dinner reservation on the last night as they typically do run out of the Vegetarian Pasta dish on the last night of the run.
Thanks for those tips - I'm going all the way to Seattle, so I'll heed your advice on the early reservation, especially on the second night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back