National Geographic article

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

Yerry

December NGM arrived yesterday; In it, the "Zip USA" article (A short pice detailing one specific zip code in the US) covered 10017, which happens to be New York's Granbd Central Station.Not too much to it: A pic of commuters detraining in step, the famous old picture from the 1930's of travelers walking through the shafts of sunlight, small pics of a GCT Pr man and rail controller ("Dispatcher" in my book".

There's actually little wroitten ABOUT the station itself. The most interesting part, though, from a railfan's view, is the secret platform GCT as with the Waldorf Astoria. FDR used it to make speeches there without anyone seeing his wheelchair. Platform/track is still there, albeit in very bad shape. One pic shows an old heavyweight, completely covered in rust, surrounded by an incredible amount of debris.

Anyone have any further info on this?

I'm not sure about an old heavyweight car still being there, but it's certainly possible.

However a world of information about that platform can be obtained at a web site from Joseph Brennan.

One would assume that a picture in National Geographic would be considered proof enough.

Yerry said:
One would assume that a picture in National Geographic would be considered proof enough.
Well not having seen the photo, nor having any indication from you as to when the photo might have been taken, I would hardly consider that as proof. That photo could have been taken years ago and the car could now be long gone.

Probably more proof than was presented in the 180 day trainoff notice thread.

:p

I recall hearing about a National Geographic or History Channel show that included a spot on this rail segment Unfortunately, I didn't get to see the show. Perhaps it will be aired again at some time.

Deimos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back