How BNSF aquisition will effect Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think one of the reasons Warren Buffet is buying BNSF is because it's a well oiled machine that is continually producing results and has strong growth potential. I believe he's generally supportive of letting people who know how to run the business to do their jobs and run the business, so long as the bottom line keeps looking good. Matt Rose has a great philosophy on how the railroad should be run. If Amtrak is on time, then all is well. If Amtrak has fallen behind significantly he knows to start asking questions.

I believe the reason is that it reduces the shipping expense for all his other businesses!!!

As far as Amtrak is concerned, I have no idea!

RF

Last edited by a moderator:
A better effect would have come if he bought UP. BNSF was already fairly Amtrak friendly.

Wish he would have bought Amtrak. THEN you would really see a reduction in the need of government subsidies and a much higher ROI. Get rid of the bureaucracy and a LOT of the waste will go away.

Wish he would have bought Amtrak. THEN you would really see a reduction in the need of government subsidies and a much higher ROI. Get rid of the bureaucracy and a LOT of the waste will go away.
Yes and no. Now that I've worked a bit in both private (airline) and public (transit) transportation systems, I've really come to realize that public organizations are not the inherently inefficient bureaucracies they are made out to be. Left on their own, with complete freedom, I think a public organization is similarly efficient to a private one (private orgs are probably a bit more efficient overall, but they're also taking a profit). The problem is that they're not left on their own. Any public agency is subject to an incredible array of rules, restrictions, reporting mandates and other such things that are a result of the meddling of politicians. They are also subject to their own existing inertia - things like an internal culture that resists change - but these are things that can also weigh down private companies.

Honestly, if Buffett was running Amtrak, I don't think you'd see one bit of change, unless: 1) You gave him tremendous latitude to fire/hire/restructure however we wants without any oversight or approval, 2) That all Congressionally mandated rules and restrictions that Amtrak is subject to are wiped off the books, 3) The all the existing labor agreements that Amtrak has are wiped away and subject to renegotiation.

And realistically, that will never happen. Passenger rail is always going to require capital investment from the government, and lacking sufficient capital investment, it will require operating subsidies. Those subsidies come with strings attached - once you start taking money from the government, immense amounts of bureaucracy come with it. The only practical way to get around this problem is to separate capital investment from the operating arm of the company and allow the operating arm of the company to run like a private enterprise. Except, you can't do that with Amtrak because there hasn't been a sufficient amount of investment in rail infrastructure.

Look at it this way: do you think Greyhound would make money if all they had to drive on was rutted, dirt roads? No way. No one would ride them and if we wanted intercity bus service, the government would have to subsidize it to a price that people would actually ride. Do you think trucking companies would be profitable? Not in long haul - all that would go to the railroads.

And it's the same thing with Amtrak - if the government builds and maintains dedicate high speed passenger rail infrastructure in this country, Amtrak will be able to run over those lines self-sufficiently. The reason Amtrak requires such a subsidy is that we haven't invested in the necessary infrastructure in this country to make passenger rail a success. Why do European systems run with sustainable operating margins "above the rails?" It's because the governments have built and maintained adequate infrastructure for them.

Basically, Buffett couldn't do much with Amtrak as it exists currently. No matter how good a manager he is, one man can't cut through all the things that constrain Amtrak as we know it.

They [public agencies] are also subject to their own existing inertia - things like an internal culture that resists change - but these are things that can also weigh down private companies.
Yes, except that those private companies will be overtaken by other private companies and probably wither and die if they don't change that inertia. So while it is true that there are private companies with bad internal inertia, they won't last very long. But who's going to overtake a public agency that probably has a monopoly? The answer is nobody. So that's why there is a much higher rate of public agencies with bad internal inertia than there are private companies with that same problem.

They [public agencies] are also subject to their own existing inertia - things like an internal culture that resists change - but these are things that can also weigh down private companies.
Yes, except that those private companies will be overtaken by other private companies and probably wither and die if they don't change that inertia. So while it is true that there are private companies with bad internal inertia, they won't last very long. But who's going to overtake a public agency that probably has a monopoly? The answer is nobody. So that's why there is a much higher rate of public agencies with bad internal inertia than there are private companies with that same problem.
Not when we continue to subsidize the competition, namely the roads and the airplanes. For as long as we continue to make the other forms of transport cheaper with subsidies, no private company can ever hope to succeed in running a profitable rail service.

Not when we continue to subsidize the competition, namely the roads and the airplanes. For as long as we continue to make the other forms of transport cheaper with subsidies, no private company can ever hope to succeed in running a profitable rail service.
not unless they charge the same prices the American oreant express used to charge.

That's somewhat true and it somewhat isn't. In the airlines, I worked for a sizable low-cost carrier that had been founded within the last decade. It was honestly the best place I ever worked, with a fantastic corporate culture, a willingness to expand and adapt and embrace change, and had been built from the ground up around modern practices and technology. The employees there were enthusiastic, satisfied (on a whole) and believed in their carrier. I would compare us to a lot of the legacy carriers at the airport, who had been around forever (most of whom had been through a variety of acquisitions and restructurings). Their workforces were apathetic and without directions. Their employees didn't really believe in their carrier and didn't care much for being there and they generally provided bottom of the barrel service.

In fact, I almost hired out with a legacy carrier who will remain nameless. At their interview session, there was a room of applicants and they put on a small presentation about working for their carrier.

"Who here has flow on us before?" the recruiter asked. About 75% of hands shot up.

"Now, who here can honestly say that they had a bad experience with us?" Most of the hands stayed raised.

"Yeah, we're trying to change that, and that's why were trying to bring in a new crop of employees," she told us.

Unless you fire all the employees in the process, a takeover by another company is probably not going to change a lot of the internal corporate culture. And plenty of airlines provide a very poor level of service and tremendous inertia and are still in business and have been for some time. I'd argue that the determining factor is changing a corporate culture isn't the ability to fail/be taken over, but rather the ability to hire and fire employees with tremendous latitude. It's typically very difficult for public organizations to fire employees and adjust their workforces, and I think that is more the cause of their inertia than anything else. If Amtrak does anything that upsets people, those people go to Congress. Even when we have problems with Amtrak, we have been known to go to Congress. And it's that congressional meddling that I think really hampers Amtrak as an organization. If you could provide Amtrak it's yearly subsidy in a totally hands off matter and allow them to make the decisions that are right for them, I think without a doubt we'd be in a better position than we are now.

And if you want to totally eliminate that operating subsidy, you need to invest in the underlying infrastructure like we did with highways and airports. That, and remove Amtrak from the political process.

As the low cost air carriers mature, some of the unrest that the legacy carriers have endured, are slowly creeping into the culture. Conversely, some legacy carriers have made strides in adapting to the market with cost cutting and improved culture. Some unions have seen the light, as regarding stubbornly refusing to adapt and price themselves out of a job. Over time, the old and new will be closer and closer to being the same.

Me and Warren Buffet are neighbors, he just lives 50 miles down the street from me. Berkshire Hathaway seems to buy the right companies at the right time and from what I understand, let them pretty much run themselves as long as they are making money. LNK is about to vote on a new arena to replace the 60 year old Pershing Auditorium, they are going to build it right near the Amtrak station, I would LOVE it if Warren B would invest into a high speed commuter rail from LNK to OMA for commuters during the week and then for Husker football and basketball games during the season(s). :) He's got the money!

I believe the reason is that it reduces the shipping expense for all his other businesses!!!
Some weeks ago, I read an article on Berkshire Hathaway's slow, but deliberate increase in BNI ownership. The writer suggested that Berkshire would eventually buy all of Burlington Northern Santa Fe because (among other reasons) it is a major carrier of coal used by its Midamerican Energy division.
Same article suggested it would be some years before Berkshire finished the deal, as it has taken the slow path in the past; Berkshire apparently took about ten years to buy Geico. The author was obviously wrong on that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back