Amtrak is reason to party

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if planned... this could easily turn into a nightmare for the conductors...

EDIT:... And those pax who have allergies. *cough* Bluegrass* cough*

Last edited by a moderator:
Since they are talking about doing more, not sure about the track work.

I am just wondering how many people will get left behind when the train pulls out.

I mean this party ends at 12:32 AM honestly I would probably be trying to get some sleep, and now have to hear a "party" going on outside the car I would find it kind of annoying.

Since they are talking about doing more, not sure about the track work.
Well if the track work is scheduled, then it is possible Amtrak and the host hammered out a schedule.. or at least Amtrak was given a heads-up.

Who owns the track there, UP or BNSF?

This is a situation where the SWC typically arrives early and has to sit until the scheduled 12:32am departure. The train leaves Kansas City at 10:55pm and the run to Lawrence is only 40 miles, so a midnight arrival may be typical. This morning (6/16), for example, #3 arrived LRC 12:01am then sat until the 12:32am departure. 6/15 arrival was at 12:09. 6/14 it arrived 12:06.

The Southwest Chief uses BNSF end to end.

EDIT: Let me add one more thing. This idea for a 9pm arrival would be nice, but I am willing to bet that there may be a few passengers on board who may not see the charm in bands playing outside the train at midnight. For a college town on Friday night, midnight is still early. For some of the demographic groups typically on Amtrak long distance trains, midnight is the wee hours and they may not be in the mood to be "serenaded by voices, guitars, and banjos of local bluegrass and old-time music performers."

You know, the more I think about this, the funnier it gets. I have this picture of the train silently pulling in at midnight, the quiet solitude suddenly broken by a band belting out some bluegrass at full volume, and an entire sleeping car being startled awake. Priceless.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is absolutely hilarious! "Here comes the train, quick turn up the music and turn on the lights!"

This is absolutely hilarious! "Here comes the train, quick turn up the music and turn on the lights!"
Open the article and check the third comment (6/16, 4:37pm). "Yes! Don't let them sleep, Wake them up!" This is my best laugh of the night. It might we worth a trip to Lawrence just to see this show in action.

The poor SWC passengers. Not only might they have to put up with a train full of "little angel" boy scouts heading for camp in New Mexico, now this. Hilarious is the word!

This is a situation where the SWC typically arrives early and has to sit until the scheduled 12:32am departure. The train leaves Kansas City at 10:55pm and the run to Lawrence is only 40 miles, so a midnight arrival may be typical. This morning (6/16), for example, #3 arrived LRC 12:01am then sat until the 12:32am departure. 6/15 arrival was at 12:09. 6/14 it arrived 12:06.
The Southwest Chief uses BNSF end to end.

EDIT: Let me add one more thing. This idea for a 9pm arrival would be nice, but I am willing to bet that there may be a few passengers on board for who may not see the charm in bands playing outside the train at midnight. For a college town on Friday night, midnight is still early. For some of the demographic groups typically on Amtrak long distance trains, midnight is the wee hours and they may not be in the mood to be "serenaded by voices, guitars, and banjos of local bluegrass and old-time music performers."

You know, the more I think about this, the funnier it gets. I have this picture of the train silently pulling in at midnight, the quiet solitude suddenly broken by a band belting out some bluegrass at full volume, and an entire sleeping car being startled awake. Priceless.
As of late the SB Crescent has been arriving very early into ATL and ends up waiting for twice as long as the scheduled dwell time. I've noticed this along the whole route, hopefully Amtrak will begin to tighten the Crescent's Schedule.

About the only thing funnier would be the Sunset Limited being met by a mariachi band in Tuscon, AZ in the middle of the night!

About the only thing funnier would be the Sunset Limited being met by a mariachi band in Tuscon, AZ in the middle of the night!
On the other hand: talking about the SL, I wouldn't mind being welcomed by the Wild Tchoupitoulas on arriving in NOL!
I think it's a nice gesture on the part of the town to welcome the train. But, I'm sure there will be some passengers that may not appreciate the early wake up music!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back