Looking for Advice on Best Route

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Given the miles you have logged, I thought I might try my luck asking your advice. This July I am planning to travel on Amtrak with my three daughters (ages 12, 8 and 4) from the west coast (probably LA or Salinas, but flexible) to either New Orleans or Chicago, hopefully with a family bedroom reservation. (Our destination is actually Boston, but we will fly part way, as the best train travel seem to be in the west.)

Obviously, we are flexible on train routes; we are considering the EB, CZ, SWC and SL. We just hope to see the best scenery possible, whether mountains or desert, and have as good an experience on the train as possible - cleanliness, efficiency, food quality, professionalism, etc.

Having scoured the Internet for Amtrak passenger reviews, I am struck by the divergence of experiences – from wonderful to horrible. While any single trip can be good or bad, I was hoping to learn from experienced Amtrak riders or staff what they think is the all around best bet for a good trip.

Any help in answering this questions would be greatly appreciated!

Kind regards,

Mark in Hong Kong

Mark,

As I noted in my post in the other topic where you first placed this post, this forum is far better suited to get you the information that you're looking for. And it won't detract from Saxman's ongoing reporting from the train as he takes his trip around the country.

Personally having taken the trains in question, I'd say that you really want to look at either the Empire Builder or the California Zephyr. The CZ in most people's opinions has the best scenery of any Amtrak run, although there are some who do think that the EB is better. The EB definately has some great scenery, and it will have the best food service of any Amtrak train you're considering.

Mark,
As I noted in my post in the other topic where you first placed this post, this forum is far better suited to get you the information that you're looking for. And it won't detract from Saxman's ongoing reporting from the train as he takes his trip around the country.

Personally having taken the trains in question, I'd say that you really want to look at either the Empire Builder or the California Zephyr. The CZ in most people's opinions has the best scenery of any Amtrak run, although there are some who do think that the EB is better. The EB definately has some great scenery, and it will have the best food service of any Amtrak train you're considering.
Well, I could make a case for the SWC. Especially for those from Hong Kong who are looking for something "different" on their vacation. Side trips to both the Grand Canyon and Santa Fe (Railrunner) can be arranged. I'm pretty sure your family wouldn't regret it.

This July I am planning to travel on Amtrak with my three daughters (ages 12, 8 and 4) from the west coast (probably LA or Salinas, but flexible) to either New Orleans or Chicago...Obviously, we are flexible on train routes; we are considering the EB, CZ, SWC and SL. We just hope to see the best scenery possible, whether mountains or desert...
If you can travel by Train both ways, I'd recommend the SWC from Los Angeles to Chicago, then return on the CZ to Emeryville/San Francisco.

If your trip by Train is in one direction only, I'd recommend the California Zephyr from Emeryville/San Francisco to Chicago. It really covers the best of everything... two great Mountain Ranges, the Desert in between, the Great Prairies, crossing the Missouri and Mississippi Rivers, and at each end you find farmlands, industry, and a major Urban Center.

(I've done four round-trips from California to Chicago by Rail (travelling in coach), and am planning to go there again this Spring.)

Have a Great Trip!

I would say the California Zephyr is best done westbound This because, eastbound, if it is very late you could go through the Rocky Mountain scenery in the dark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back