Refundability/exchangeability of partially-travelled reservations

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chuljin

Lead Service Attendant
I may have several tickets, each of them only part of a reservation, to refund, or more likely, exchange. I searched the fora for +partial +refund and saw nothing about the particular situation, so a new thread.

OK, crow-eating from me, eye-rolling from you.

Last year, I commuted home almost every day, LAX-GDL, on train 785.

Now it's 2009, and I could easily and gradually requalify for S+ over the next 4-5 months doing precisely the same.

But I don't know how much longer we'll be in SoCal, planning to move to the largest city in the US utterly unserved by Amtrak (and I call shenanigans on anyone who insists that MRC counts, but at least it has [almost token] light rail), so the free (read: cheap :p ) ride is almost over.

So now instead I commute home in one of three different ways (785 as above and two other ones on 785 and 798 that are *ahem* less direct), and, geek that I am, actually wrote an application that uses train status to make and revise, throughout the afternoon, recommendations as to which one. Since I have 5 months of detailed Surfliner OTP data stored locally (a geeky application does that, too :p ), I got statistics about which option it would have recommended for each weekday of those 4-5 months, assumed that they would have approximately the same distribution in future, calculated how many tickets I'd need for each city pair, carefully arranged them in groups of 4 to optimize the number of reservations I'd have to make (snag 1, below) and price I'd have to pay (snag 2, below), booked them, and picked them up.

Now that's bit me from behind, because, since OTP is consistent in its inconsistency, my favorite (read: cheapest, fastest, and getting-home-earliest) of the options has been occuring far more frequently than the past suggests (the good news), leaving me with a glut of BUR-GDL tickets that I will likely will not use (the bad news).

So here's the more detailed question.

I've seen mention, on no less than Amtrak's own refund policy page, of the possibility of partial refunds/exchanges. There are two snags, here, though:

1. The likely-unused tickets are each one of several on the same reservation, the other tickets already used (or sure to be soon), and not necessarily in the same order as 'listed' in the reservation, and certainly not on the trains and dates that amtrak.com forces one to choose to get unreserved tickets that have no mention of train and date and can be used on any train and date;
  2. The likely-unused tickets are, in most cases, one half of a two-ticket pair used to take advantage (not malicious advantage, just advantage) of pricing points; i.e. because BUR-LAX is $4.00, so is BUR-GDL/GDL-LAX (specifically, $2.10/$1.90 respectively).

Amtrak's page suggests, unless I read wrong, that the first issue is not an issue. It's the second that I think must certainly have been disallowed by now, otherwise it seems abuseable ('isolated' GDL-LAX or v.v. is usually $3 in low season before discounts).

In fact, I'm not even sure they'd know how much to refund; On such tickets, instead of each one showing the breakout, they all show the same total at 'Total', but the first shows the total at 'Rail Fare' and the rest show $.00 at 'Rail Fare'. It's only when the tickets post to AGR when the actual individual fares are revealed (to me, anyways).

Assuming they can be refunded anyways, how much of an ordeal is an in-person refund/exchange for the customer and the ticket agent? Is there a certain transaction-level overhead and each individual ticket is pretty quick, or do 5 tickets take 5 times as long as 1 ticket? (Note: I'm not talking a whole briefcase full of tickets here, just 12).

I'm going to go the voucher way, because I'm certain I'll use it (and may just get tickets I'm sure to use even while standing there). Does one get one voucher per ticket? per reservation? or per visit to the ticket counter? I'd hate for me to have to make them print, and for them to have to make me later redeem, 12 vouchers.

Yes, this is karma. :)

Yes, you told me so. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
First, this is my opinion only.

[1] each ticket has an individual value, as printed on the ticket. This differs from airline tickets. Therefore, the "value" of the ticket is price printed on such ticket.

[2] the value of a ticket is valid in exchange for a new purchase, at 100% face value. (make a reservation, present the unused ticket to an agent, pay the difference if any). see that bar code on the ticket? they will scan that for the value. OH, you have one-year to make that exchange.

[3] any refund {to cash or credit card} suffers a 10% fee

[4] an exchange to voucher is a process. It serves no purpose if you plan to travel again {see #2}

Good Luck.

First, this is my opinion only.
[1] each ticket has an individual value, as printed on the ticket. This differs from airline tickets. Therefore, the "value" of the ticket is price printed on such ticket.

[2] the value of a ticket is valid in exchange for a new purchase, at 100% face value. (make a reservation, present the unused ticket to an agent, pay the difference if any). see that bar code on the ticket? they will scan that for the value. OH, you have one-year to make that exchange.

[3] any refund {to cash or credit card} suffers a 10% fee

[4] an exchange to voucher is a process. It serves no purpose if you plan to travel again {see #2}

Good Luck.
*nod* to all, thanks for the tips. :) I edited actually to reflect that my most likely move, if the tickets have value, is to use that value to get more-likely-to-be-used different tickets right there in that same transaction.

Each ticket has a value, and can be exchanged for a certain value. I have done this a few times. Just this past October, due to a mis-connection, I could not use my SKN-EMY, EMY-SFC and SFC-EMY tickets. I can (but have not yet done so) submit them for an exchange.

But--like you asked since the printed value on the ticket is $0.00, how would they tell what the ticket's value is? Then again, certainly it can't be worth $0, so you could argue with the agent that it can't be worth $0 because you are holding a ticket for transportation, and that can't be free (unless Amtrak is just really nice, in which case you could ask the agent to give you another stack of free tickets from BUR-GDL!).

How did you book them to get you two tickets at the same price? Did you just do a multi-city and do BUR-GDL/GDL-LAX and it still spat out $4?

Good luck...

But--like you asked since the printed value on the ticket is $0.00, how would they tell what the ticket's value is? Then again, certainly it can't be worth $0,
how about a bus connecting to a train. may have a value of 0.00 if the bus can not be book without the connection.

An example of my tickets:

I bought a SFC-EMY-PDX ticket for IIRC $62. Due to the mis-connect. I actually used the EMY-PDX from SAC-PDX only. (However, it posted as saying EMY-PDX.) The SFC-EMY ticket was for the Thruway bus.

The EMY-PDX ticket posted with a value of $58.63. So I think the bus ticket has a value of $3.37. (I didn't exchange it yet.)

So, I have it on good authority, from someone I implicitly trust, that I can refund, or exchange for a voucher, or exchange for other tickets right there, *any* whole, unused ticket that I still have, despite whatever may have been done or not done with other tickets on the same reservation. I might just as well go ahead and try; the worst that happens is I need to find excuses to travel BUR-GDL (perhaps trips to [read: from] Fry's, which is on the other side of BUR the station from BUR the airport :p ).

But--like you asked since the printed value on the ticket is $0.00, how would they tell what the ticket's value is? Then again, certainly it can't be worth $0, so you could argue with the agent that it can't be worth $0 because you are holding a ticket for transportation, and that can't be free (unless Amtrak is just really nice, in which case you could ask the agent to give you another stack of free tickets from BUR-GDL!).
Well, since the BUR-GDL tickets are the 'first half' of the 'pair', *they're* the ones that show the full $4.00 'rail fare', and it's the GDL-LAX ones that are $0.00. But in my experience, that's just a ticket-printing oddity, because, at least when they post, they're 2.10/1.90, not 4.00/0.00. AGR, at least, considers the 'valueless' ticket to have value, because it posts at 100 points, not 0. It's pretty thickly veiled, but I'm agreeing with you. :p
How did you book them to get you two tickets at the same price? Did you just do a multi-city and do BUR-GDL/GDL-LAX and it still spat out $4?
Exactly. I guess it's similar, in a strange way, to when a particular airfare rule allows stopovers. Or not.But in my experience, Surfliner tickets AB, BC, CD on the same reservation have the same total price as a single ticket AD. All tickets show the AD price at 'Total' and pricing points A-B-C-D (and, something I've just noticed, 'CJ' [continuing journey?] at 'Fare Plans'); the AB ticket will show the whole AD price at 'Rail Fare', and the others will show $0 at 'Rail Fare'.

Then, when they post, you find out what (AGR's opinion, anyways, of what) the real rail fare is. The AB ticket, for example, shows something close to, but not quite, AB/(AB+BC+CD)*AD, and so on. (In the current example: BUR-GDL is usually 4 [yes, strangely and coincidentally same as BUR-LAX, perhaps having to do with the airport, but I digress, don't let it confuse you] and GDL-LAX 3. If it were done exactly that way, BUR-GDL would be 2.28 and GDL-LAX 1.72).

It certainly goes that way for the Surfliner. There are very few other unreserved routes in the system, but for S&Gs I tried it with the Keystone. COT-MJY alone is 9.50, MJY-HAR alone is 6.50 (=16.00), but COT-HAR is 14.00, and so is COT-MJY and MJY-HAR on the same reservation. So I imagine the COT-MJY would print 14.00 and the MJY-HAR 0.00, but when they post, probably 8.31 and 5.69 (or thereabouts) respectively.

But--like you asked since the printed value on the ticket is $0.00, how would they tell what the ticket's value is? Then again, certainly it can't be worth $0,
how about a bus connecting to a train. may have a value of 0.00 if the bus can not be book without the connection.
I think that goes to the distinction between value and price. I have just the example. I started my Memorial Day trip to the bay area last year by taking a bus from LA to Bakersfield, then the San Joaquin to Martinez. The total price of this part was $46.80, and because the bus ticket was 'first' in the reservation, and first traveled, *it* (the bus ticket) showed rail fare $46.80, and the train ticket showed $0.00. So by that argument, it's the *train* ticket that's valueless.Yet when they posted in AGR, the bus and train tickets showed $13.57 and $33.23, respectively.

An example of my tickets:
I bought a SFC-EMY-PDX ticket for IIRC $62. Due to the mis-connect. I actually used the EMY-PDX from SAC-PDX only. (However, it posted as saying EMY-PDX.) The SFC-EMY ticket was for the Thruway bus.

The EMY-PDX ticket posted with a value of $58.63. So I think the bus ticket has a value of $3.37. (I didn't exchange it yet.)
I have some others (in these cases, I used all the tickets :p ):LAX-SIM-OXN printed as 17.00/0.00 but posted as 9.03/7.97 (I went to the Reagan Library, then went on a bit further to maximize my time in the 'Vomit Comet' [798] coming home)

LAX-SNA-IRV-SNC printed as 15.00/0.00/0.00 but posted as 7.29/4.07/3.64 (visiting several different stations on National Train Day)

LAX-FUL-SNA-IRV printed as 18.00/0.00/0.00 but posted as 7.10/6.08/4.82

GDL-LAX-OSD printed as 20.00/0.00 but posted as 3.13/16.87 - (go figure, why

OSD-LAX-GDL printed as 20.00/0.00 but posted as 16.88/3.12 - these two differ)

So it seems that every ticket, despite what's printed on it, can have a different value/price when 'pricing points' come into play. So far, in my experience, that's the value/price of that ticket for AGR purposes; I'll find out soon whether it's also the value/price of the ticket for refund/exchange/voucher purposes.

But in my experience, Surfliner tickets AB, BC, CD on the same reservation have the same total price as a single ticket AD. All tickets show the AD price at 'Total' and pricing points A-B-C-D (and, something I've just noticed, 'CJ' [continuing journey?] at 'Fare Plans'); the AB ticket will show the whole AD price at 'Rail Fare', and the others will show $0 at 'Rail Fare'.

CJ = Conjunctive Tickets. That tells conductors and station staff there's more going on with the trip (AB-BC-CD) than just a single segment, and the trip is priced accordingly. The layover time at any given point affects your pricing. Example: if you're going on 562 LAX-SNA, then 564 SNA-SJC, then 566 SJC-OSD, then 768 OSD-SAN, the layover is sufficiently short that your trip LAX-SAN is priced at $29 on the off-peak fares...if you're going LAX-FUL today, then FUL-ANA tomorrow, then ANA-SJC on Monday, then each segment is priced differently (I don't remember offhand what those are, sorry.)

Clear as mud?

Travel light!

~BJG

Once upon a time Amtrak actually used to print the value of a specific ticket that was part of a multi-ticket reservation. It was sort of hidden and not obvious unless you knew exactly what to look for. However, about two or three years ago they stopped printing that on the ticket, even though the computer still tracks it.

While it might not amount to a huge amount, you should be able to obtain credit for all those unsued tickets.

CJ = Conjunctive Tickets. That tells conductors and station staff there's more going on with the trip (AB-BC-CD) than just a single segment, and the trip is priced accordingly. The layover time at any given point affects your pricing. Example: if you're going on 562 LAX-SNA, then 564 SNA-SJC, then 566 SJC-OSD, then 768 OSD-SAN, the layover is sufficiently short that your trip LAX-SAN is priced at $29 on the off-peak fares...if you're going LAX-FUL today, then FUL-ANA tomorrow, then ANA-SJC on Monday, then each segment is priced differently (I don't remember offhand what those are, sorry.)
Could that be, instead, due to the rule that stopovers >24 hours are priced as separate segments?

But in my experience, Surfliner tickets AB, BC, CD on the same reservation have the same total price as a single ticket AD. All tickets show the AD price at 'Total' and pricing points A-B-C-D (and, something I've just noticed, 'CJ' [continuing journey?] at 'Fare Plans'); the AB ticket will show the whole AD price at 'Rail Fare', and the others will show $0 at 'Rail Fare'.

Clear as mud?

Travel light!

~BJG
Or maybe chuljin, who uses it so often! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back