Amtrak in/out of Grand Central

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

darien-l

OBS Chief
Just got a call from Amtrak that all Empire Service trains and Ethan Allen will operate out of Grand Central Station (NYG) on Oct 18 and 19 & Oct 25 and 26 (Saturday and Sunday) due to track work. The Adirondack, Maple Leaf, and Lakeshore Limited will still use Penn Station. Trains in and out of NYG can be booked on Amtrak.com for those dates. Also, looking at Amtrak.com, it appears that some kind of a shuttle is provided between NYP and NYG. I'm looking forward to arriving into Grand Central on Amtrak!

Well knock me down and call me shorty. I almost want to make a screen shot of the search results on Amtrak's reservation page I have in front of me. Interesting things I'm noticing:

-Lake Shore, Maple Leaf, and Adirondack all appear to NOT be using GCT, and are still showing up as NYP trains for those days.

-Some of the Empire trains appear to be running a shuttle from GCT to Croton-Harmon. These trains carry a leading 1 on the train number. At Croton Harmon, there's a 10 minute layover to transfer to a standard Amtrak train that carries the normal train number. I wonder if this is really just one train the whole way from GCT to ALB, or if it's a Metro North service from GCT to Croton-Harmon.

-How are they going to deal with electrification issues?? I assume they're just going to use Metro North engines south of Albany. Could they be switching engines in Croton Harmon though?

-Rafi

-How are they going to deal with electrification issues?? I assume they're just going to use Metro North engines south of Albany. Could they be switching engines in Croton Harmon though?
They could do that there, not sure that they will switch engines though. But there is where MN keeps many of it's diesel engines.

that sure is good new i was look at the bookings just for kicks and it seems to actually present some problems if you try to take empire service on 10/18 from nyp the bus that takes you to nyg is sold out there for not allowing you to book the early train. If you book directly out of NYG you can still get on the train. Seems like they need to add another bus. Just my 2 cents i no it really doesnt matter but is still interesting to note

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back