I Maybe Meeting Sen. Richard Durbin

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RailFanLNK

Conductor
Hello All,

I may be meeting Sen. Richard Durbin D-IL tomorrow. I did a quick search and he seems like he is very pro-Amtrak. Any comments or suggestions if I get to visit with him personally tomorrow where I can worm in a "thought or two" about Amtrak? Thanks!

Al

Yes. Be brief and to the point and leave him (or mail with a stamp) with a letter restating the points you wish to make which may be along the lines of the below. Keep the railfan stuff to a minimum as they don't care what your hobby is. (My points are off the cuff, but make sure yours are on target.) Bear in mind that he probably has a research staff but you can bring to his attention those things that are important to you and lead him in the direction (without bringing a sheaf of paper) of reports which back up your position.

1. Thank you Sen. Durbin for your past support of Amtrak... and whatever else he's done that keeps you pulling the lever (hitting the screen in my state) for him. I'm a member of xxxxrailxxx, railxxxx and xxxxrail (train orgs).

2. It is time for the country to have a comprehensive transportation plan which includes the same perpetual funding for Amtrak that the airplanes, highways and xxxxxx currently receive. Compare, briefly, how much better Amtrak would be if it received the same consideration as the above do. Don't tell him how to run Amtrak (i.e., Amtrak can cut costs or how wonderful the food is on this and that train). Do tell him that Amtrak has a problem with the UP honoring its agreements and that causes a problem which hinders ridership (or so we think). There are some of us that will ride Amtrak intercity rather than fly for a multitude of reasons.

3. Amtrak is green, blah, blah, blah.

4. The accounting for long distance costs is considered skewed by many, including charges for regionals (or whatever it is) in a manner that is inappropriate, comparing apples to oranges.

5. Should he need additional information on any train- related subject you will be glad to assist his staff as a resource.

Don't glaze his eyes over.

If you have a current Amtrak timetable, drop it off with your letter to leave in his office or mail it with the letter later to reinforce your point.

...as I said, all off the cuff.

Rail rookie, Al, this is just my own take. I would not ask directly about Amtrak, but about the overall crisis of transportation. EDIT: If I sensed an opening I would definitely bring up Amtrak. End of edit. And yeah, good to keep it brief, on point, and be prepared to offer resources for further information. Durbin is a good guy on other issues as well, think I.

Last edited by a moderator:
1) Mention how much a good rail system is needed, as well as reliable, especially with the high cost of driving and airport and airway congestion.

2) Mention how the public can not be told every year that "this route" or "that route" will be cut due to "a need to reduce funding for Amtrak". I don't think many would like it if they hear every year, "We have to cut highway spending, so we are going to close I-90 (or I-5 or I-30 or ...)!" or "We need to cut airport spending, so we are going to close O'Hare (or JFK or DFW or ...)!" Yet Amtrak funding is OK to cut.

3) Mention that the need for government support of rail. Every other country supports passenger rail - except the US. (Except with a lot of haggling. "-0- subsidy" :eek: and the "self sufficient rule" - when are air and roads going to be required to be self sufficient?)

Avoid sounding like a rail-fan.

1) Rail is green. Green is good. Green is the marketing buzzword that can sell green-coloured coal to New castle. Mention it frequently.

2) Planes aren't green. Planes are the anti-green

3) Our highways here are a mess. Traffic in New York is only a minor issue in comparison. Make Chicago the next New York City in terms of Traffic. Get re-elected.

Hello All,I may be meeting Sen. Richard Durbin D-IL tomorrow. I did a quick search and he seems like he is very pro-Amtrak. Any comments or suggestions if I get to visit with him personally tomorrow where I can worm in a "thought or two" about Amtrak? Thanks!

Al
That's teriffic, Durbin is one of the good guys, I believe. Just generally. But he is pro-Amtrak as well. I am proud to be represented in the Senate by him.

I think there's no list of "talking points" you should bother going into at all. He already agrees with you. Just in the last two years: He was a co-sponsor of the Senate Amtrak reauthorization/improvement bill (S.294). He has been involved in getting feasibility studies done for new Amtrak service CHI-Dubuque and CHI-Quad Cities. He has personally appeared in cities along these proposed routes at town hall meetings that were called regarding the proposed new service. When the state of Illinois expanded state-supported service for October 30, 2006 by four daily state-wide roundtrips, at the last minute (two weeks before) CN said they didn't have capacity for these extra trains and threatened not to run them. The state went to Dick Durbin, who publicly promised to look into the legality of what CN was doing, and that was that: CN bowed, and the new service started on time. Also, he helped secure a commitment from Amtrak to deliver the four extra trainsets needed to run those four new daily roundtrips.

One could argue that no Senator has done more than Dick Durbin recently to protect and expand Amtrak. Just thank him for his hard work and let him know that it is important to you and some of your fellow citizens.

My take: if you should meet Senator Durbin, let him know:

o How a rotten air travel experience turned you into an Amtrak supporter

o Thank him for his work on intercity passenger rail issues

o "And by the way..." ask him what he's doing to ensure Amtrak trains run on time

The OTP issue is the one that people immediately grasp. It's something that's quite fixable. And in solving OTP issues, you solve a host of other issues (such as equipment availability!) that some individuals want to see swept under the table.

2) Mention how the public can not be told every year that "this route" or "that route" will be cut due to "a need to reduce funding for Amtrak". I don't think many would like it if they hear every year, "We have to cut highway spending, so we are going to close I-90 (or I-5 or I-30 or ...)!" or "We need to cut airport spending, so we are going to close O'Hare (or JFK or DFW or ...)!" Yet Amtrak funding is OK to cut.
the traveler brings up an excellent point, one which really frames the debate concerning intercity passenger train service in the USA. In fact, I like this point so much that if I make it to my NARP regional meeting, I'm gonna steal it and beat on the NARP folks to push this very point. B)

Well folks...I got to speak for about 45 seconds to Sen. Dick Durbin D-IL. I beat the Lincoln Journal Star to the punch, KOLN-KGIN TV as well. After Sen. Durbin endorsed a presidential candidate that I'm volunteering for, he spoke briefly with a guy from the Farm Union, then a guy from the UTU (United Transportation Union) which is railroad unions and then ME! I was in the right place at the right time. Nice early 1920's house and the house was PACKED! I was in the living room right where he began to stump for my candidate. When he shook my hand I introduced myself, said I was employee of --- and a 20 year member of the Teamsters Union. I was wearing my Amtrak polo shirt with my campaign button right under the Amtrak logo. I told him that I appreciated his support for my candidate and for taking the time to travel to my state (Nebraska) and all the support he gives to Amtrak. I told him that I began travelling Amtrak two years ago after a horrible trip (both ways) on a un-named airline. I said it was important that host railroads keep Amtrak on time and that all Americans deserve a choice in transportation that is so much more civilized than air travel. He then replied and said, "I'm a railroader man.....I support the rail industry very thoroughly" and then thanked me for my comments. So....I didn't get an hour with him, but the 100 other people never really got a chance at all to visit with him. So...I did my piece and will do it again. Oh yea...one last thing...he said the candidate that he is endorsing for the presidency will give Amtrak alot more attention than any of the other candidates. So...leave it to good ol' Railrookie to be in the right place at the right time!

Al

Well folks...I got to speak for about 45 seconds to Sen. Dick Durbin D-IL. I beat the Lincoln Journal Star to the punch, KOLN-KGIN TV as well. After Sen. Durbin endorsed a presidential candidate that I'm volunteering for, he spoke briefly with a guy from the Farm Union, then a guy from the UTU (United Transportation Union) which is railroad unions and then ME! I was in the right place at the right time. Nice early 1920's house and the house was PACKED! I was in the living room right where he began to stump for my candidate. When he shook my hand I introduced myself, said I was employee of --- and a 20 year member of the Teamsters Union. I was wearing my Amtrak polo shirt with my campaign button right under the Amtrak logo. I told him that I appreciated his support for my candidate and for taking the time to travel to my state (Nebraska) and all the support he gives to Amtrak. I told him that I began travelling Amtrak two years ago after a horrible trip (both ways) on a un-named airline. I said it was important that host railroads keep Amtrak on time and that all Americans deserve a choice in transportation that is so much more civilized than air travel. He then replied and said, "I'm a railroader man.....I support the rail industry very thoroughly" and then thanked me for my comments. So....I didn't get an hour with him, but the 100 other people never really got a chance at all to visit with him. So...I did my piece and will do it again. Oh yea...one last thing...he said the candidate that he is endorsing for the presidency will give Amtrak alot more attention than any of the other candidates. So...leave it to good ol' Railrookie to be in the right place at the right time!

Al
Who is the candidate?

Barack Obama from Illinois as well. I have been trying not to get political on this thread!! :rolleyes: I think we all know where we all stand politically on this forum and I just don't want this thread to get hijacked about who is pro-Amtrak or not, or who hasn't returned calls etc.

Al

May I add, Nebraska's primaries are always in May way after the presidential primary is usually all wrapped up. The Nebraska Democratic Party petitioned to have its first ever "caucus" and was granted permission so we are having the Democratic Caucus next Saturday. Since the race is so close with Clinton and Obama, our caucus and the delegates gained by the candidates is actually going to mean something to the presidential race. So that is why Sen. Dick Durbin D-IL came to LNK and OMA. I will be participating in the caucus on Saturday Feburary 9th.....I'd better be...I'm a precinct leader! :)

Barack Obama from Illinois as well. I have been trying not to get political on this thread!! :rolleyes: I think we all know where we all stand politically on this forum and I just don't want this thread to get hijacked about who is pro-Amtrak or not, or who hasn't returned calls etc.
Al
Oh Really!!

Obama has never, ever, responded to any missive that I have sent him about Amtrak ( and I have e-mailed, called his staff, and written letters) and now he's supportive of Amtrak?? Does anyone see this on his website...I must be blind!

And I positively appreciate my other Senator, Dick Durbin, who has always responded to me and has been a great supporter of Amtrak

Obama has never, ever, responded to any missive that I have sent him about Amtrak ( and I have e-mailed, called his staff, and written letters) and now he's supportive of Amtrak?? Does anyone see this on his website...I must be blind!
I confirmed this with a friend working on the Obama campaign I was watching the Super Bowl with, for what it's worth. I was told Obama is at the least clearly pro-Amtrak, pro-transit, and not anti-Amtrak, anti-transit. The extent to which he is pro-Amtrak is unclear. National infrastructure and domestic transportation policy just aren't major issues; they aren't even on-the-radar issues for most voters. It's sad, but devoting time and resources to them diverts time and resources from the issues which will win or lose the early primaries and Super Super Duper Mega OMGWTFBBQ Tuesday.

We may see this issue show up later this spring when there's a *lot* more time between primaries, but to even put it out there now on the website--important as the issue is, whatever his position on it, be it pro-airlines or pro-highway or pro-railroad--means someone will take issue with it and start forcing him to promote and defend those positions; and that takes him off-message and removes momentum. There are a lot of other issues in the same category as this one, and every candidate doubtless has opinions on all of them; this one just happens to be our issue, so we notice its absence in particular.

It's general campaign strategy, or so I've been told. Step one is "win", because otherwise steps two and beyond are meaningless; and the path to achieving step one isn't Amtrak.

I confirmed this with a friend working on the Obama campaign I was watching the Super Bowl with, for what it's worth. I was told Obama is at the least clearly pro-Amtrak, pro-transit, and not anti-Amtrak, anti-transit. The extent to which he is pro-Amtrak is unclear. National infrastructure and domestic transportation policy just aren't major issues; they aren't even on-the-radar issues for most voters. It's sad, but devoting time and resources to them diverts time and resources from the issues which will win or lose the early primaries and Super Super Duper Mega OMGWTFBBQ Tuesday.

We may see this issue show up later this spring when there's a *lot* more time between primaries, but to even put it out there now on the website--important as the issue is, whatever his position on it, be it pro-airlines or pro-highway or pro-railroad--means someone will take issue with it and start forcing him to promote and defend those positions; and that takes him off-message and removes momentum. There are a lot of other issues in the same category as this one, and every candidate doubtless has opinions on all of them; this one just happens to be our issue, so we notice its absence in particular.

It's general campaign strategy, or so I've been told. Step one is "win", because otherwise steps two and beyond are meaningless; and the path to achieving step one isn't Amtrak.
Agreed. In your "issues" section of your campaign website that may be viewed by millions, you want all signal and no noise. Amtrak is noise. You don't want people to have wade through your Amtrak policy to get to the part about your brilliant plan for ending the war in Iraq. I'm sure every candidate could write a 300-page book on public policy, but that doesn't belong on the public parts of your webspace.

There is brief mention of public transportation in the "Poverty" sub-section of the "Issues" section of Obama's website. It is the third bullet in his plan here: http://www.barackobama.com/issues/poverty/

Not much, but OK for this stage of the game and there is no question in my mind that public transit and intercity rail feed off each other; Amtrak does best in "walkable" cities.

Enjoyed your comment about, um, Tuesday. I can tell you that I am certainly anticipating Tuesday's results. There was some poll last week that asked whether Americans were more excited about Super Tuesday or the Super Bowl, and it was evenly split.

http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/Quirks/2008/0...r_tuesday/6139/

We should try these no-incumbents-or-sitting-VPs elections more often!!

Enjoyed your comment about, um, Tuesday. I can tell you that I am certainly anticipating Tuesday's results. There was some poll last week that asked whether Americans were more excited about Super Tuesday or the Super Bowl, and it was evenly split.http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/Quirks/2008/0...r_tuesday/6139/

We should try these no-incumbents-or-sitting-VPs elections more often!!
Agreed on that. Election seasons like this one generate interest in politics, and greater public awareness of politics may lead to greater realization of things like "hey, I can write my Congresscritter about issues I care about". And for staying on-topic, that's more likely to help Amtrak and transit than hurt them in the long run, in my opinion.

Oh Really!!

And I positively appreciate my other Senator, Dick Durbin, who has always responded to me and has been a great supporter of Amtrak.
I've sent various e-mails to Senator Obama on the Amtrak issue over the years, and I've gotten e-mail responses and IIRC a letter once. Below is an e-mail response I received from Sen. Obama's office, typical of the other responses I've gotten. BTW, I second the praise for Senator Durbin.

Dear John:
Given your interest in the future of Amtrak, I want to update you on some recent developments. I take seriously the thousands of letters, e-mails, and calls I receive daily from Illinois constituents like you, and I value your ideas and opinions. Please accept my apology for the delayed response.

As you know, last year President Bush submitted a budget proposal to Congress that eliminated all funding for Amtrak. The House of Representatives and the Senate soundly rejected the President Bush’s recommendation and instead provided full funding for Amtrak within the U.S. Department of Transportation. I joined my Senate colleagues in supporting the restoration of Amtrak funds.

Once again this year, the President's budget proposes to cut Amtrak by $393 million. I will continue to work with my Senate colleagues on the Appropriations Committee to restore full funding for Amtrak. You can be sure that as the fiscal year 2008 Transportation Appropriations bill moves to the Senate floor, I will be a strong advocate for Amtrak and its passengers and will oppose any further efforts by the President to eliminate or undermine this critical mode of transportation.

On January 16, 2007, Senator Frank Lautenberg (D-NJ) and Senator Trent Lott (R-MS) introduced S. 294, the Passenger Rail Investment and Improvement Act of 2007, which I am proud to cosponsor. This bill authorizes $19.2 billion over six years for Amtrak’s capital and operating needs, while reducing Amtrak’s operating subsidy and increasing capital funding over time. The bill also creates a capital grant program for states to invest in intercity passenger rail. The Senate approved similar legislation during the 109th Congress, but was not taken up by the House of Representatives. I supported this legislation during the 109th Congress, and will continue to work with my colleagues to pass S. 294 in the 110th Congress.

Again, I appreciate your interest in the future of Amtrak. Please stay in touch on this and other issues of concern to you.

Sincerely,

Barack Obama

United States Senator

There is brief mention of public transportation in the "Poverty" sub-section of the "Issues" section of Obama's website. It is the third bullet in his plan here: http://www.barackobama.com/issues/poverty/Not much, but OK for this stage of the game and there is no question in my mind that public transit and intercity rail feed off each other; Amtrak does best in "walkable" cities.
Obama also mentioned Amtrak, positively, in the October 30, 2007, debate (at Drexel University); I believe that is the only mention of Amtrak in any debate this season by any candidate (a quick word search on transcripts for half a dozen Democratic debates so far hasn't turned up any other occurrence of the word). If only Obama had been allowed to give one or two more sentences in his answer.... Transcript excerpt:

[brian] Williams: Senator Obama, a question to you. More than one columnist covering the field of transportation has compared our current commercial aviation business to Aeroflot in the old Soviet Union. One writer said,

"Hold on, that's insulting to Aeroflot. They have raised their service."

The question to you is, how did this country get into a state where point-to-point air travel is no longer

truly dependable, but more important, what would you be truly willing to do as president to fix it?

Obama: Well, this is a problem that's been building for a long time. The airlines got into trouble after

deregulation, and it has continued and compounded. And they have now tried to make more money. And

they're seeing better solvency, but they've done it on the backs of consumers. And anybody who's flying

commercial knows that service has gone down and deteriorated further and further and further.

So, as president of the United States, we have to look at making sure that there's enough airport capacity.

We've got to place, potentially, restrictions on some flights and encourage airlines to deal with the

problems of remote areas that are having difficulty in terms of making connections.

But this is going to require the kind of leadership that we have not seen from this president, not just on

transportation in the airlines industry, but in transportation generally.

We haven't seen that kind of commitment on Amtrak...

Williams: Time.

Obama: I'm sorry. I didn't realize this was a lightning round.

Williams: Yes. Yes, sorry. The rules are...

Obama: But, generally speaking, this president has failed on this issue. We've got to keep on -- we have

to make much bigger progress than we've done.

(Transcripts of every debate, Republican and Democratic, are here, if anyone else here wants to do searches for Amtrak or transportation policies.)

Well folks...I got to speak for about 45 seconds to Sen. Dick Durbin D-IL. I beat the Lincoln Journal Star to the punch, KOLN-KGIN TV as well. After Sen. Durbin endorsed a presidential candidate that I'm volunteering for, he spoke briefly with a guy from the Farm Union, then a guy from the UTU (United Transportation Union) which is railroad unions and then ME! I was in the right place at the right time. Nice early 1920's house and the house was PACKED! I was in the living room right where he began to stump for my candidate. When he shook my hand I introduced myself, said I was employee of --- and a 20 year member of the Teamsters Union. I was wearing my Amtrak polo shirt with my campaign button right under the Amtrak logo. I told him that I appreciated his support for my candidate and for taking the time to travel to my state (Nebraska) and all the support he gives to Amtrak. I told him that I began travelling Amtrak two years ago after a horrible trip (both ways) on a un-named airline. I said it was important that host railroads keep Amtrak on time and that all Americans deserve a choice in transportation that is so much more civilized than air travel. He then replied and said, "I'm a railroader man.....I support the rail industry very thoroughly" and then thanked me for my comments. So....I didn't get an hour with him, but the 100 other people never really got a chance at all to visit with him. So...I did my piece and will do it again.
Excellent! You got a pro-Amtrak message across in a minute, and hopefully the OTP bit will rattle around in his brain.

You next project is to do the same with your Nebraska representatives. IMO, stick with the OTP issue, as it's an easy one to get across. Furthermore, as I've indicated, solving the OTP issue helps Amtrak out on a number of other maintenance and rolling stock issues in the process.

Lather, rinse, repeat. For all we know, you'll bring back the Ak-Sar-Ben Zephyr in an Amtrak incarnation!

Lather, rinse, repeat. For all we know, you'll bring back the Ak-Sar-Ben Zephyr in an Amtrak incarnation!
I hope they keep the name of that train, if this ever happens. One of my all-time favorites, up there with the Potatoland Special.

Oh Really!!

And I positively appreciate my other Senator, Dick Durbin, who has always responded to me and has been a great supporter of Amtrak.
I've sent various e-mails to Senator Obama on the Amtrak issue over the years, and I've gotten e-mail responses and IIRC a letter once. Below is an e-mail response I received from Sen. Obama's office, typical of the other responses I've gotten. BTW, I second the praise for Senator Durbin.

Dear John:
Given your interest in the future of Amtrak, I want to update you on some recent developments. I take seriously the thousands of letters, e-mails, and calls I receive daily from Illinois constituents like you, and I value your ideas and opinions. Please accept my apology for the delayed response.

As you know, last year President Bush submitted a budget proposal to Congress that eliminated all funding for Amtrak. The House of Representatives and the Senate soundly rejected the President Bush’s recommendation and instead provided full funding for Amtrak within the U.S. Department of Transportation. I joined my Senate colleagues in supporting the restoration of Amtrak funds.

Once again this year, the President's budget proposes to cut Amtrak by $393 million. I will continue to work with my Senate colleagues on the Appropriations Committee to restore full funding for Amtrak. You can be sure that as the fiscal year 2008 Transportation Appropriations bill moves to the Senate floor, I will be a strong advocate for Amtrak and its passengers and will oppose any further efforts by the President to eliminate or undermine this critical mode of transportation.

On January 16, 2007, Senator Frank Lautenberg (D-NJ) and Senator Trent Lott (R-MS) introduced S. 294, the Passenger Rail Investment and Improvement Act of 2007, which I am proud to cosponsor. This bill authorizes $19.2 billion over six years for Amtrak’s capital and operating needs, while reducing Amtrak’s operating subsidy and increasing capital funding over time. The bill also creates a capital grant program for states to invest in intercity passenger rail. The Senate approved similar legislation during the 109th Congress, but was not taken up by the House of Representatives. I supported this legislation during the 109th Congress, and will continue to work with my colleagues to pass S. 294 in the 110th Congress.

Again, I appreciate your interest in the future of Amtrak. Please stay in touch on this and other issues of concern to you.

Sincerely,

Barack Obama

United States Senator
John,

I see your letter was a recent response from Obama, I was not clear in my message that most of my attempted contacts with him were pre-presidential race! And thus my wonderment at what the previous poster said!

For those of you that don't know what Ak-Sar-Ben is....its Nebraska spelt backwards! aksarben-nebraska! :) Huskermom and I plan on going to NYC and DC this summer with her two daughters. I talked to the son of the former Secretary of Agriculture this week and he even said that some constituents ask their elected officials to meet for lunch in DC while travelling. I think I will try to do that even if its one of my state reps that makes me...well...vomit! :lol: I figure I can be cordial and talk a few issues with the elected officials. If its a rep that is overtly christian, maybe I will say a "group prayer" before our meal and word in "Amtrak" in the prayer. :lol: "Bless us our Lord for these are gifts from our bountiful Christ our Lord Amen....In the name of the Zephyr, the Lakeshore, The Acela Express and the Capitol Limited...Amen!" Would that get a wierd look or what?!? Heck maybe go so far as to have my girlfriends oldest daughter have a temporary tattoo of Amtrak on her lower back! :p Thanks Sam for the compliment. There was 100 folks there and about 10 of us that actually got to get "face time" and I didn't have to "roller derby" or "mosh pit" my way through the crowd to speak with Sen. Durbin.

Al - when you talked to him did he have a staff member next to him taking notes or anything? I wonder if they remember everything everyone says to them?

May I add, Nebraska's primaries are always in May way after the presidential primary is usually all wrapped up. The Nebraska Democratic Party petitioned to have its first ever "caucus" and was granted permission so we are having the Democratic Caucus next Saturday. Since the race is so close with Clinton and Obama, our caucus and the delegates gained by the candidates is actually going to mean something to the presidential race. So that is why Sen. Dick Durbin D-IL came to LNK and OMA. I will be participating in the caucus on Saturday Feburary 9th.....I'd better be...I'm a precinct leader! :)
Well railrookie, now it looks like there's no question your state's caucuses will matter - and will probably be the biggest national news story of the day next Saturday!! Would have been hard to imagine a year ago.

I don't want to get political on this board either, so I will just say in the tradition of those crazy old-time passenger train names, Am-Abo-Og!

Anyway, everyone benefits because of the involvement of folks like you in the electoral process. I hope your caucus night goes smoothly.

Rail rookie, job well done!

Perhaps Senator Durbin's presence in Nebraska is wholly motivated by the Obama campaign, but I can't help but notice that you are going to have an open Senate seat in this election cycle, and the Senator is very interested in who fills it.

Whatever his motivation, he has been an effective advocate for rail transportation in Illinois.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back