NYC to Quebec City to NYC

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have trip planned leaving from Louisiana to catch the Crescent in Meridian, MS on the way to see a bit of New York City. Yesterday we also added a one way 10 day cruise from NYC around Nova Scotia to cruise departure at Quebec City. Instead of flying back to NYC, my wife and I would like to take the train for the view. I assume I would book VIA RAIL to the US/Canada border then Amtrak from that point to NYC so we can catch 19 Crescent back home. It would appear going through Montreal is obvious route but wondering about alternate route to see more countryside. Ship docks at Quebec City on a Thursday morning and train leaves NYC Penn station 2:15 Saturday to give a time frame.

You really don’t have much of a choice.  VIA to Montreal and Amtrak from Montreal to New York.  Theoretically you could go through Toronto, but that would be a serious detour.  

You could take a bus from Montreal to Vermont and catch the Vermonter, but that involves a nearly three hour bus ride between Montreal and Burlington.  The first bus of the day gets in too late to catch the train so you would have to spend the night in Burlington.   Getting from Quebec City to Burlington via train and bus in one day makes for a long day, but it can be done.

Assuming you take the Adirondack from Montreal to New York, I would spend Thursday night in Montreal because the Adirondack leaves Montreal in the morning. 

Last edited by a moderator:
There really aren't that many ways to do it without booking a nights hotel in Montreal because the trains don't connect easily.

Going to the states Trains No. 33 will make the connection. As well as No. 15. But if you take the Ocean which is No. 15 with a full diner you must get on in St Foy. And get off at St Lambert where you can catch the Adirondack but it's tight.

You could take a bus from Montreal to Vermont and catch the Vermonter, but that involves a nearly three hour bus ride between Montreal and Burlington.  The first bus of the day gets in too late to catch the train so you would have to spend the night in Burlington.   Getting from Quebec City to Burlington via train and bus in one day makes for a long day, but it can be done.
The Vermonter terminates in St. Albans, not Burlington. You’re probably thinking of the proposed Ethan Allen extension to Burlington.

The Vermonter terminates in St. Albans, not Burlington. You’re probably thinking of the proposed Ethan Allen extension to Burlington.
No, I was not thinking of the Ethan Allen.  I said Burlington rather than St. Albans because the bus from Montreal goes to Burlington, and not to St. Albans.  I did not think that the OP would want to take a bus to Burlington and then have to take a $55 Uber 40 minutes north to St. Albans just to catch the train one stop before the Essex Junction station.  There is also pretty much nothing to see in St. Albans whereas Burlington is a vibrant small city.

Essex Junction, where the Amtrak station is, is a suburb of Burlington.  The station is 6.7 miles from downtown Burlington as compared to the 30 mile ride to the St. Albans station.

Ok here what it's tentatively looking like after disembarking cruise ship in Quebec City..
Day 1 - Train #37 Quebec to Montreal. Leaves 1pm and arrives 4:14pm. In Montreal I will get one of the hotels at the train station. Should have time for supper somewhere in Old Town before heading back to the hotel.
Day 2 - #68 Adirondack to NYP and get hotel.
Day 3 - #19 Crescent on the way home to Louisiana.

Sounds like a fun trip.  Watch out -- the Crescent is cancelled between New Orleans and Atlanta on a lot of days in January and Feburary.  So be careful what days of the week and what months you are planning to travel.

Sounds like a fun trip.  Watch out -- the Crescent is cancelled between New Orleans and Atlanta on a lot of days in January and Feburary.  So be careful what days of the week and what months you are planning to travel.
I don’t think many people are cruising to Quebec in January and February.   :wacko:

Now I'll tell on myself [emoji16].. I'll begin by saying this will be our second ever cruise. Our first was last year leaving Seattle for 7 days to Alaska then cruising back to Seattle. This upcoming cruise was originally booked as a 7 day cruise from NYC and the last stop being Halifax Nova Scotia then sailing back to NYC. Somewhere in my mind I just thought all cruises return back to their port of departure. So when my wife said she wished we had more than 7 days I called Princess and rebooked everything to the 10-day cruise going all the way around Nova Scotia to Quebec City. I also called AGR and rescheduled our bedrooms to the new dates as well as changed all our hotels. I have to say I was pretty proud of myself until that night when I printed my new itinerary and didn't see NYC at the end. Louisiana was sure looking a long way off about that time. Anyway it worked out fine and we will get a couple extra train rides.

I don’t think many people are cruising to Quebec in January and February.  
default_wacko.png
This is the last of three long distance train trips planned for this year and happens mid October. We decided to couple it with a cruise seeing we will be in New York anyway. We did that last year when the Empire Builder reached Seattle and we exited there for the Alaskan cruise and it added so much fun to an already wonderful train trip. It was our first LD train AND first cruise. Many wonderful memories.

We travel the Crescent in March to see DC, Philly, Richmond. Williamsburg, etc. Hopefully they're back on schedule by then.
The NYC trip on the Crescent doesn't happen till October.

One can always go to Halifax on the Ocean and take the ferry to Portland then catch the train to NYC. What's a few extra nights with a trip like that?
The CAT ferry will be going to Bar Harbor this year instead of Portland, ME. if approved.

me_little_me said:
One can always go to Halifax on the Ocean and take the ferry to Portland then catch the train to NYC. What's a few extra nights with a trip like that?
Thanks for this suggestion. The last time My wife and I were in Halifax, we flew back. Your way is much more interesting and we were looking for an excuse to go back to Halifax since we didn't have enough time to do it justice the first time, so the next time we visit my sister in Brockville, Ont., we will take the train to Montreal and then catch the Ocean to Halifax and then catch the ferry to Portland.

It sounds like a neat way to go. If it goes to BarbHarbor instead of Portland, we'll just visit there and figure out a way to get to the train from there.

"The CAT ferry between Portland, Maine and Yarmouth, Nova Scotia has ended for 2018. We look forward to having you onboard, again or for the first time, when service resumes in spring of 2019."

https://www.ferries.ca/thecat/
 They wanted too move to Bar Harbor with once a day service. That is why I included "if approved" in my post. Apparently approval is lacking at this point.

http://www.theforecaster.net/high-speed-ferry-moving-from-portland-to-bar-harbor/https://www.google.com/url?

https://www.mdislander.com/maine-news/ferries-adrift-bay-ferries-lacks-leases

Back