Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Signal/communication issues on the SFRTA, aka Tri-Rail. For a while their dispatch office was completely cut-off from the outside world. Signal system, telephones and radios were down. Delayed lots of their trains, too, though not as bad. All this just one day after their 30th anniversary!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, RebelRider said:

Signal/communication issues on the SFRTA, aka Tri-Rail. For a while their dispatch office was completely cut-off from the outside world. Signal system, telephones and radios were down. Delayed lots of their trains, too, though not as bad. All this just one day after their 30th anniversary!

Wait, I thought that track is owned by Brightline, not Tri-Rail?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, cpotisch said:

Wait, I thought that track is owned by Brightline, not Tri-Rail?

Brightline is on different tracks.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, pennyk said:
13 minutes ago, cpotisch said:

Wait, I thought that track is owned by Brightline, not Tri-Rail?

Brightline is on different tracks.

They share tracks for at least a portion of the route, right?

I mean, I would swear that I've seen both Brightline and Tri-Rail at this crossing, for example.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, cpotisch said:

They share tracks for at least a portion of the route, right?

I mean, I would swear that I've seen both Brightline and Tri-Rail at this crossing, for example.

I do not want to swear, but I am almost positive that they do not share tracks.  I am under the impression that Brightine is closer to US 1, whereas Tri-Rail is closer to I-95 in Broward County.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe @jis could answer this one, since I'm pretty sure he had said that Tri-Rail pays to use Brightline-owned tracks?

Edited by cpotisch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, cpotisch said:

Maybe @jis could answer this one, since I'm pretty sure he had said that Tri-Rail pays to use Brightline-owned tracks.

He knows more than I know about just about everything.  :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, cpotisch said:

Maybe @jis could answer this one, since I'm pretty sure he had said that Tri-Rail pays to use Brightline-owned tracks?

There are two major sets of north-south tracks in S. Florida. The tracks furthest east are the tracks that Brightline runs on. These tracks more or less run through the downtown areas of Miami, Ft Lauderdale and West Palm Beach. The second set, further west and more or less within sight of I-95 for long stretches are the Tri-Rail (or South Florida Reginal Transit Authority) and Amtrak tracks. There is a plan to begin running some Tri-Rail trains to MiamiCentral using the IRIS connection just south of the Tri-Rail/Metrorail connection station however, I don’t believe this has started yet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, cpotisch said:

Maybe @jis could answer this one, since I'm pretty sure he had said that Tri-Rail pays to use Brightline-owned tracks?

Even if that is true, what difference does it make in this case? RebelRider explained the outage and the territory it involved. 92 was held on the SFRTA Miami Subdivision while major signals issues were sorted out.

 

Edited by Thirdrail7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes there are future plans for some Tri-Rail trains to go off their rails at Iris onto the east west FEC freight yard connection then Tri-Rail  will turn south onto the FEC to the Brightline station.  When?  Have not seen  an answer.  As well construction work is at some progress point to allow  connection Tri-Rail track just north of Palm Beach past the hurricane cemetery to connect to the FEC line northbound.  Have not heard but this last connection was at one time set to restore to passenger train specs for Tri-Rail to go south from MGP to south on FEC ?

1 hour ago, blueman271 said:

There are two major sets of north-south tracks in S. Florida. The tracks furthest east are the tracks that Brightline runs on. These tracks more or less run through the downtown areas of Miami, Ft Lauderdale and West Palm Beach. The second set, further west and more or less within sight of I-95 for long stretches are the Tri-Rail (or South Florida Reginal Transit Authority) and Amtrak tracks. There is a plan to begin running some Tri-Rail trains to MiamiCentral using the IRIS connection just south of the Tri-Rail/Metrorail connection station however, I don’t believe this has started yet. 

Yes there are future plans for some Tri-Rail trains to go off their rails at Iris onto the east west FEC freight yard connection then Tri-Rail  will turn south onto the FEC to the Brightline station.  When?  Have not seen  an answer.  As well construction work is at some progress point to allow  connection Tri-Rail track just north of Palm Beach past the hurricane cemetery to connect to the FEC line northbound.  Have not heard but this last connection was at one time set to restore to passenger train specs for Tri-Rail to go south from MGP to south on FEC ?.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Maybe [mention=171]jis[/mention] could answer this one, since I'm pretty sure he had said that Tri-Rail pays to use Brightline-owned tracks?

What? No! At present there is no track segment shared by Tri-Rail with Brightline.

 

I don’t recall saying what you claim I said. Tri-Rail will pay to use Brightline/FECR tracks between CP Iris and MiamiCentral when they start serving MiamiCentral.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, jis said:

What? No! At present there is no track segment shared by Tri-Rail with Brightline.

 

I don’t recall saying what you claim I said. Tri-Rail will pay to use Brightline/FECR tracks between CP Iris and MiamiCentral when they start serving MiamiCentral.

Sorry! Guess I misunderstood. :blush: :help:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×