How to clean a motor?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VentureForth

Engineer
I have this oldish N gauge Bachmann Spectrum Dash 8. It runs real slow. How do I clean it? What do I clean? I applied lithium grease to the gears years ago. That looked like a dumb idea. There is green all over the rotor. Is that protectant or corrosion? Sand it down? LaBelle 101 it?

IMG_20181203_181019c.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I am an HO modeler, but the motor looks almost exactly like some of my old Bachman’s models that I own. The green is normal on the actual motor. It is hard to say from just the one picture what might be wrong. Does the engine stutter and stop or just run slow?

I am an HO modeler, but the motor looks almost exactly like some of my old Bachman’s models that I own. The green is normal on the actual motor. It is hard to say from just the one picture what might be wrong. Does the engine stutter and stop or just run slow?

Deleon gears have a tendency to split when they age, which can cause slow motion or stuttering or stalling.

Back