Last printed system timetable

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twin Star Rocket

Service Attendant
I have a winter-spring 2016 timetable (effective 1-11-16) as the last printed issue for the system. Any after that date?

I also have a 2016-2017 Rail Vacations booklet which I suspect is the last printed one as well.

Winter-Spring 2016 is the latest one that I have as well.

Is it really true that Amtrak is no longer printing route specific timetables as well?

Is it really true that Amtrak is no longer printing route specific timetables as well?
I can report that there were plenty of up-to-date printed Pacific Surfliner timetables available at Van Nuys two weeks ago.

Thanks for replying!

How about the Silver Service from Washington to Miami available at Washington or Fort Lauderdale for a return journey?

A few years ago, I was told that VIA Rail also discontinued them, but this past June, I pick one up in Montreal (on request, not on display), dated 5 November 2017. And I believe there may be a 2018 update...

I believe the OP was inquiring about the System (national) timetable that was printed, now only available as a PDF...

https://www.amtrak.com/content/dam/projects/dotcom/english/public/documents/timetables/Amtrak-System-Timetable-060118.pdf
Yes, I understand that. But, I recall reading that the printed specific route timetables were also no longer available. I just wanted to confirm that information.
Yea, I also recall mention of specific route timetables will no longer printed... somewhere!

Also, trainman74 mentioned Pacific Surfliner timetables being available...perhaps being the Surfliner is state funded has something to do with. Just like they retained discount programs which were discontinued by Amtrak...that again came from the State of California not Amtrak.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can tell you that it's almost impossible to find timetables for the NEC at 30th Street.

When I was in DC in January there were a lot of timetables at the counter near the Club Acela.
They have also largely, if not completely, disappeared from Chicago as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
What could be interesting is some kind of electronic timetable which shows the schedule alongside the current estimates. That way you could easily get a sense of your train's performance relative to the schedule. Just an idea.

What could be interesting is some kind of electronic timetable which shows the schedule alongside the current estimates. That way you could easily get a sense of your train's performance relative to the schedule. Just an idea.
Like this?

https://asm.transitdocs.com/train/2018/10/25/8'> https://asm.transitdocs.com/train/2018/10/25/8
Thank you muchly.
default_smile.png

I can report that there were plenty of up-to-date printed Pacific Surfliner timetables available at Van Nuys two weeks ago.

Sadly to hear, the printed schedules are becoming scarce to find at more and more Amtrak stations. I hadn't seen any printed Amtrak schedules one could grab at Chicago Union Station since sometime in late 2017/early 2018, and it was kinda a miracle I saw a few left for the Capitol Limited in Pittsburgh when I did a train trip there in May 2018. For my more recent train trips(i.e. boarding in (East) Glacier Park, plus briefly walking inside the station houses in Shelby, Havre, and Minot during those Empire Builder smoke stops), there no longer were Amtrak printed route schedules inside any of those stations. So nowadays I'd say it's VERY important to either print out a copy from your computer of any Amtrak regional or long distance train you're riding on before boarding the train, or download the schedule(s) you need onto your phone, laptop, tablet, or whatever electronic device you'll use during your train trip.

Thankfully my SCA did go to the trouble, of printing out the schedule and posting it in the middle of the upstairs of the sleeping car I was riding back on train #8 back into Chicago from East Glacier Park. It was just a printed schedule taped onto the wall at the top of the stairway for the Builder, but for sure I thought that was a great gesture for him to do.

And maybe for all I know, Amtrak California is better about placing printed schedules at stations along the Pacific Surfliner route? I sadly don't see printed schedules very often at stations along regional Midwest Amtrak routes nowadays, if ever. :(

I have a winter-spring 2016 timetable (effective 1-11-16) as the last printed issue for the system. Any after that date?

I also have a 2016-2017 Rail Vacations booklet which I suspect is the last printed one as well.

If you can believe it, Amtrak Vacations actually still has printed versions of their guides available at(at least at the busier ones, as I saw booklets at the Amtrak stations in Saint Louis and Chicago) certain Amtrak stations! It's funny that considering the national timetable for Amtrak has gone away, and more recently printed timetables for individual Amtrak routes, that Amtrak Vacations still does printed booklets. I guess Amtrak Vacations sees that enough of their target audience would be alienated, if the only way to see their travel packages would be to go to their website?

I was able to find a 2019-20 Amtrak Vacations guide, and actually I have it in one of my bags from a recent Amtrak trip believe it or not!

Last edited:
A few years ago, I was told that VIA Rail also discontinued them, but this past June, I pick one up in Montreal (on request, not on display), dated 5 November 2017. And I believe there may be a 2018 update...
We still print timetables (the most recent one is dated 2 June 2019), but there are unfortunately efforts to reduce the number of prints with every new timetable and to eliminate it completely. I suspect they are mostly used by employees, but your best chance of getting one is at either Montreal Gare Centrale or Toronto Union Station...

Back