fredmcain

Southwest Chief News & Future Operations

1 hour ago, railiner said:

To a scrap dealer?   Such 'secrecy'?:ohboy:

He’s in the industry and is therefore privy to some knowledge he can’t necessarily share. I imagine we’ll find out in time.

My guess is that it's the St. Louis guys.  If nothing else, the bags probably do have value for some of their parts, and I can easily see something happening like the Horizons getting leased out to a state or commuter operation (i.e. being used to replace Amtrak-sourced Amfleets on the Surfliner).

Those guys were my other thought  besides the scrapping option. But haven’t the hi levels they got their hands on earlier just sat a decade. Have they leased anything at all to anyone so far?

I doubt if  Corridor Capital (or is  it  the other way around) would be the    buyer.  They've been sitting on those  hi-levels forever, with nobody showing any interest. The Horizon cars in question are probably wrecks and wouldn't be good for any future use. 

If I win the lotto, I will definitely buy one of Ozark's Hi-Level diners and then replace half the upper-level dining area with eight or so Heritage roomettes. Then I'll have a dining car, lounge, and sleeper. But considering how long they've been sitting on those cars and how cheap they are listed at, I imagine that they will require quite a bit of refurbishment before they can be roaming the rails again. And I guess loading gauge restrictions and the fact that the passage between cars is on the upper-level, really limits the practical use of them. :unsure:

I'm betting it's Corridor Capital.  Seems to have an outside source of income to support his hobby...

On 1/9/2019 at 6:15 AM, Just-Thinking-51 said:

Fiasco all the way around.  If this is a ploy for the future then the amount of angry politicians will increase to point were there is trains, but no more Amtrak.  Too many States are turn against Amtrak on the 750 miles services. Now the politicians are getting annoyed with Amtrak on the long distance trains too.  Record amount of funding last year, and Amtrak plays hardball for more money?

See New York State.

See Connecticut.

See California.

See Washington, Oregon.

See the recent buying of ever single railcar that Amtrak had for sale by a single organization.

No good will come from this.

I keep thinking: isn't that what a lot of people want? Is that what many people have asked for? Turn the railroad to the states and private enterprise? Isn't this what various people were put in place to do? However, most Amtrak executives didn't play along, particularly David Gunn.

Maybe they finally found their man....and it may work.