"Safety Patrol" Debate Revisted - A Few Months Early

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thirdrail7

Engineer
To tie this into the WPB, this an operation that used to be supported by another train. I explained in great detail why CSX doesn't have to allow an operating agreement for an extra train and why it is in Amtrak's best interest to operate this as the Meteor. This is a major deal for Florida and a major deal for Amtrak, particularly when you're balancing the books. The dates take a while to confirm. Amtrak could probably block off the entire month of January, but I HAVE seen this special operate in early February on occasions.

I think this same discussion raged on last year.
I'll set my watch for next year.
My watch went off early since daylight savings time ended. I noticed the Amtrak Website has 98(1FEB), 97(4FEB), 98(9FEB) and 97(12FEB) listed as sold out. :ph34r:

I'm just saying........Let the good times roll.....or something like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting.... If those are the dates for the safety patrol, it is a little later than usual. I often travel to the northeast from Florida around MLK weekend and have had to reschedule a couple of times, so I am pleased to see the possibility of later dates.

Cancelling these February runs of the Meteor in early November is a *lot* better for regular customers than cancelling them on short notice. People now have three months to change their plans. *Way* better. :)

The dates are as follows:

98 - 2/1

97 - 2/4

98 - 2/9

97 - 2/12

This train is a special reserved train and although it has a schedule, the schedules are really only suggestions.

So Amtrak Status Maps will show the trains skipping lots of stations. If you really want to know where the trains are more accurately, click on "Map This Train" inside the file after clicking on the train symbol. That'll take you to asmtransitdocs.com ( Better Track-A-Train).

jb

I heard 98 pass through Orlando around 4:20(ish)pm today. It "normally" passes through about 3 hours earlier.

So Amtrak Status Maps will show the trains skipping lots of stations. If you really want to know where the trains are more accurately, click on "Map This Train" inside the file after clicking on the train symbol. That'll take you to asmtransitdocs.com ( Better Track-A-Train).
A time is shown at "MGP" - this is Mangonia Park, FL, the Tri-Rail station.

If you were Amtrak would you want 4 or 5 revenue cars half full and maybe 2/3rds of the booked on another day's train or at least 14 revenue cars all full ?

This train is a special reserved train and although it has a schedule, the schedules are really only suggestions.
I wouldn't go that far. There are scheduled times because there are crew changes and servicing stops. While the train may operate ahead of schedule, they are only going to allow it to arrive in WAS so early. If it is too early, they intend to hold it out until Washington's commission period ends. On the other hand, if it arrives too late and it won't make it to NYP by a certain time, they will hold it in PHL to wait out the NYP's commission period.

If you were Amtrak would you want 4 or 5 revenue cars half full and maybe 2/3rds of the booked on another day's train or at least 14 revenue cars all full ?
This is a group trip. A group of children, no less!! Why would you attempt to split them? Additionally, this special is 17 cars which is pretty much at the maximum recommended HEP limit for the train. It's not like there is room for anyone else.

I'm going to add another point I am not sure who would personally want to ride with 17 cars of elementary school children. And if you do you deserve a medal.

If I can fill 14 revenue cars I'm more then happy to pander to them and their scheduling needs. And it's not just amtraks equipment shortages which causes them to use a Meteor consist for this route but also CSX likely refusing access to an additional passenger train.

Are there kids in sleepers and coaches, I always thought Safety Patrol trains only used coaches...what is the story?
Nick

Before this poster will make any comment on passengers the actual train consist needs to be reported. The MPR seems to indicate Amtrak is very short of revenue cars ? It "" may "" be Amtrak does not enough spare equipment to have any spare at MIA ?

Are there kids in sleepers and coaches, I always thought Safety Patrol trains only used coaches...what is the story?

Nick
IIRC, the sleepers were only for chaperones and staff. The kiddies rode the coaches....
This is correct. There are a fair amount of people accompanying this move including medical personnel.

Before this poster will make any comment on passengers the actual train consist needs to be reported. The MPR seems to indicate Amtrak is very short of revenue cars ? It "" may "" be Amtrak does not enough spare equipment to have any spare at MIA ?
As I indicated above, it is a 17 car consist. The regular consist with seven extra AM Is.

I just saw 98 pass through Orlando. I took a video with my phone, but I am not sure if I can post it. I will try. I forwarded to Betty and Ryan. Since both are more technologically competent than I am, maybe one of them will be able to post.

EDIT: I was unable to upload - "file too large" (It was a very long train).

Back