so many choices: Chicago Hotels

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blackpup

Service Attendant
Not sure if this is the correct place to post this. But decided to come into Chicago two days early before we head out to DC. But there are so many hotel choices, hard to choose. Want to stay within walking distance to Art Institute, so if anyone can recommend any hotels, in the area, staying at least in the low $200, no more than that. I don't think the middle of April on a Mon and Tues night will have a run on hotels. Also ,not sure if I should book now if I find a really good price, or wait till closer.

The Palmer House!

http://www.palmerhousehiltonhotel.com

It looks expensive, but it isn't. It's about $160/night in the middle of summer. I've stayed there for $90/night during late winter and spring.

You can *feel* the history as you walk around the building, and the lobby is gorgeous (understatement of the year).

It's a quick walk to the Art Institute, not to mention many other things in the Loop. It's also really close to transit.

lol, rooms for dates of 4/10/17 - 04/12/17 are not available. So either they don't take reservations this early, or there is some big event going on in April.

lol, rooms for dates of 4/10/17 - 04/12/17 are not available. So either they don't take reservations this early, or there is some big event going on in April.
It's pretty early. I'd wait, personally. I can usually get rooms there a day in advance, unless there's something HUGE going on (like the Chicago Marathon in October or a holiday weekend). I see no reason to book a hotel this far in advance, especially since you'll be there Monday and Tuesday night.

It never hurts to check rates, of course. :) I like playing around on hotel sites, and I love the Hotel Tonight app.

With research between websites like Better Bidding or Bidding for Travel, you can book through websites like Hotwire and Priceline for pretty much rock bottom prices, and have a general idea of the property you'll likely receive by comparing the star level, amenities, and area the hotel is in (if you prefer certain brands, like I do.) Otherwise, you can still do this, and then go to TripAdvisor and get an idea of which properties you (likely) will receive, and which one to go for.

On Priceline Express you can select areas Chicago Loop-Grant Park or Downtown Chicago-Millennium Park. For dates 4/10-4/12 this shows some good results ranging from $78/night for a 2.5 star and up. What I would choose would be the 4.5 star in the Millennium Park area for $130/night, regular $250. Using Better Bidding and matching up the amenities it appears to be the Hyatt Centric The Loop Chicago, which is only a 9 minute/half mile walk from the Art Institute, and an 11 minute/0.6 mile walk from the station. Just remember that there is a bit of uncertainty involved in this. There is only one other 4.5 star property that has been listed in this area as participating in the Priceline Express option.

Going along with the uncertainty of being sneaky like this, comes mistakes, and bad info. I just double checked the areas that were listed, and Better Bidding has two areas listed that are combined, so it's hard to know. I used another way I know to look in to it a little more correctly, and it actually appears to be the Radisson Blue Aqua Hotel Chicago, which looks to be a very nice skyrise, that is 0.6 miles/13 minute walk away. Out of the 184 hotels in Chicago, it is user rated as #14 in the city on TripAdvisor.

Last edited by a moderator:
With research between websites like Better Bidding or Bidding for Travel, you can book through websites like Hotwire and Priceline for pretty much rock bottom prices, and have a general idea of the property you'll likely receive by comparing the star level, amenities, and area the hotel is in (if you prefer certain brands, like I do.) Otherwise, you can still do this, and then go to TripAdvisor and get an idea of which properties you (likely) will receive, and which one to go for.On Priceline Express you can select areas Chicago Loop-Grant Park or Downtown Chicago-Millennium Park. For dates 4/10-4/12 this shows some good results ranging from $78/night for a 2.5 star and up. What I would choose would be the 4.5 star in the Millennium Park area for $130/night, regular $250. Using Better Bidding and matching up the amenities it appears to be the Hyatt Centric The Loop Chicago, which is only a 9 minute/half mile walk from the Art Institute, and an 11 minute/0.6 mile walk from the station. Just remember that there is a bit of uncertainty involved in this. There is only one other 4.5 star property that has been listed in this area as participating in the Priceline Express option. Going along with the uncertainty of being sneaky like this, comes mistakes, and bad info. I just double checked the areas that were listed, and Better Bidding has two areas listed that are combined, so it's hard to know. I used another way I know to look in to it a little more correctly, and it actually appears to be the Radisson Blue Aqua Hotel Chicago, which looks to be a very nice skyrise, that is 0.6 miles/13 minute walk away. Out of the 184 hotels in Chicago, it is user rated as #14 in the city on TripAdvisor.
Hotwire and Priceline are useful tools for those who travel frequently and are familiar with the bidding process and the area they are visiting. However, it may not be advisable to provide complex expert level advice to a relative newbie. My rather basic advice is to use Trip Advisor as the primary research resource and then reserve your room directly from the hotel website. It's a relatively simple process that's easy to understand and is more transparent than opaque bidding sites that could potentially trap a new user in an unexpected and irreversible outcome.

Plus, Hotwire charges fees.

I love TripAdvisor. It's never failed me. I use it every time I visit a new city.

OH, thanks, but I am not a newbie at getting prices on hotels at all. I use Trip Advisor all the time. The last time I was in Chicago, 5 years ago, I used priceline, and got a really nice hotel in the gold coast area for $75/night. I figured out how to use the el, subway and bus, and we went all over. Lincoln park zoo, art institute, Hershey, gheradelli, the famous chicago hot dog place (portelli,s or whatever it is called). The only times we took a cab was from Union Station to hotel and from hotel back to Union Station. So, no I am not a newbie at all on figuring things out. I just can't decide where to stay downtown, cause it all looks good.

I love TripAdvisor. It's never failed me. I use it every time I visit a new city.
Yeah, it looks like the Palmer is sold out for my dates. Must be some big convention going on. There were other hotels also sold out.

Yeah, it looks like the Palmer is sold out for my dates. Must be some big convention going on. There were other hotels also sold out.
I would keep checking. It's way too early for so many hotels to be "sold out", especially on weeknights. I checked the convention calendar and didn't see anything glaringly obvious. I've always been able to book things during weekends in April, usually for a super good deal because the hotels are only half full, so I imagine it's simply an inventory thing where they haven't opened up the rooms for sale yet.

With research between websites like Better Bidding or Bidding for Travel, you can book through websites like Hotwire and Priceline for pretty much rock bottom prices, and have a general idea of the property you'll likely receive by comparing the star level, amenities, and area the hotel is in (if you prefer certain brands, like I do.) Otherwise, you can still do this, and then go to TripAdvisor and get an idea of which properties you (likely) will receive, and which one to go for.On Priceline Express you can select areas Chicago Loop-Grant Park or Downtown Chicago-Millennium Park. For dates 4/10-4/12 this shows some good results ranging from $78/night for a 2.5 star and up. What I would choose would be the 4.5 star in the Millennium Park area for $130/night, regular $250. Using Better Bidding and matching up the amenities it appears to be the Hyatt Centric The Loop Chicago, which is only a 9 minute/half mile walk from the Art Institute, and an 11 minute/0.6 mile walk from the station. Just remember that there is a bit of uncertainty involved in this. There is only one other 4.5 star property that has been listed in this area as participating in the Priceline Express option. Going along with the uncertainty of being sneaky like this, comes mistakes, and bad info. I just double checked the areas that were listed, and Better Bidding has two areas listed that are combined, so it's hard to know. I used another way I know to look in to it a little more correctly, and it actually appears to be the Radisson Blue Aqua Hotel Chicago, which looks to be a very nice skyrise, that is 0.6 miles/13 minute walk away. Out of the 184 hotels in Chicago, it is user rated as #14 in the city on TripAdvisor.
Hotwire and Priceline are useful tools for those who travel frequently and are familiar with the bidding process and the area they are visiting. However, it may not be advisable to provide complex expert level advice to a relative newbie. My rather basic advice is to use Trip Advisor as the primary research resource and then reserve your room directly from the hotel website. It's a relatively simple process that's easy to understand and is more transparent than opaque bidding sites that could potentially trap a new user in an unexpected and irreversible outcome.
Even if someone was a complete novice at booking hotels, it's simple enough to avoid the Priceline bids, and just stick with Priceline Express or Hotwire. Put in dates, decide what areas would work for you, and leave it at that. A four star hotel is a four star hotel, it won't be a "bad" place to stay, and with those two options you will also be able to find out what amenities are offered so if you have to have a place with a restaurant on-site, or pool, etc., you can still make sure you have one.

The way of going about trying to find out what place you'll likely receive is a bit complex, yeah, but that's why Better Bidding offers help.

As a matter of fact, blackpup, PM me your exact dates and I'll look in to it for you if you'd like, I don't mind. I just picked the 10th-12th because you said mid-April, Monday-Wednesday.

OH, thanks, but I am not a newbie at getting prices on hotels at all. I use Trip Advisor all the time. The last time I was in Chicago, 5 years ago, I used priceline, and got a really nice hotel in the gold coast area for $75/night. I figured out how to use the el, subway and bus, and we went all over. Lincoln park zoo, art institute, Hershey, gheradelli, the famous chicago hot dog place (portelli,s or whatever it is called). The only times we took a cab was from Union Station to hotel and from hotel back to Union Station. So, no I am not a newbie at all on figuring things out. I just can't decide where to stay downtown, cause it all looks good.
That's awesome. :) Chicago's really fun to explore. I wish more people would leave Union Station during their long layovers.

I know the feeling about trying to pick a hotel. I feel like a kid in a candy shop whenever I go there for a weekend. I'm dying to stay at the Chicago Hilton, the Blackstone, the Allerton, and the Silversmith, but either the rates are too high or I find a better deal at another hotel, so they're still on my list. :)

There are many sites to check out/book hotels but I've found Kayak and trivago to give the best info since they let you see the hotels, show the prices charged by the various major sites.etc.

And as was said, Trip Advisor is a very useful tool to check out guests reviews.

Sarah Z. is a pro when it comes to Chicago visits,so her advice is First rate!

I'm not a pro! :p I go to Chicago often, but there are many people who are more familiar with the city, and lots of members of this board actually live there. Listen to them. ;)

I'm not a pro! :p I go to Chicago often, but there are many people who are more familiar with the city, and lots of members of this board actually live there. Listen to them. ;)
That too,but your good taste and knowledge of the hotels, attractions,architecture,shopping local transportation etc. is first rate, so you are one to listen to also!

I am not a newbie at all on figuring things out. I just can't decide where to stay downtown, cause it all looks good.
Ah, ok, my misunderstanding then.

A four star hotel is a four star hotel, it won't be a "bad" place to stay, and with those two options you will also be able to find out what amenities are offered so if you have to have a place with a restaurant on-site, or pool, etc., you can still make sure you have one.
I've stayed at hotels of nearly every level and cost (from ฿750 to €750 per night) and in my humble opinion star level doesn't carry nearly as much weight as casual travelers seem to think it does. Something else to keep in mind is that opaque "four star" hotels are sometimes listed as three star hotels by transparent sites and opaque three star hotels can sometimes include extended stay furnished apartment style dumps that no transparent site would ever give three stars. I've used Priceline and Hotwire all over the country and across the globe and I've generally had good experiences when I take the time to perform my due diligence. I've also had unfortunate experiences as well, some of which were impossible to avoid even with research, and a few which were bad enough I literally had to walk out and find another hotel. Luckily for the OP Chicago's downtown loop area is generally ripe for opaque bidding.

I've never lived in Chicago but I know a lot more about Chicago hotels than I know about those in my home city. Do people from Chicago routinely visit hotels in their own downtown, and if so why? Is it like Tokyo where folks who stay out late eventually stumble into a hotel after missing the last train home? Is it some sort of weirdly localized staycation craze? Or is it simply a mix of early flights, secret affairs, bizarre voodoo rituals, and rock star rampaging?

hmmm, for some reason the Amtrak Unlimited App doesn't let you write to it, seems to be read only.My exact dates are April 10th to 12th. Maybe just to early to be looking for a hotel. Just excited is all, wish I was going tomorrow, but who wants to go to Florida in July, right? Note to self, remember to call Amtrak and cancel the WDL to CHI leg of trip and reschedule for April 10th.

I've never lived in Chicago but I know a lot more about Chicago hotels than I know about those in my home city. Do people from Chicago routinely visit hotels in their own downtown, and if so why? Is it like Tokyo where folks who stay out late eventually stumble into a hotel after missing the last train home? Is it some sort of weirdly localized staycation craze? Or is it simply a mix of early flights, secret affairs, bizarre voodoo rituals, and rock star rampaging?
Ha, no. :) I meant locals are often better about recommending restaurants and transportation routing than I am.

When I lived in Milwaukee, I stayed at a hotel in Milwaukee once, but of course it was my wedding night, and it was a fancy hotel, and well , you know.

Now, I want to make an extra trip to Chicago. Actually, I only live 3 1/2 to 4 hours away by car. It's only $120 round trip for two via Amtrak, so not bad. I live in a very rural community in Wisconsin, I mean, I live in the woods, so going to Chicago, blows me away with all those big high skyscrapers. I mean even Milwaukee can't compare. The hotel we stayed at last time in Gold Coast was really nice. It was a couple blocks from the lake, and the room had a small fridge and microwave. There was either a Walgreen or CVS a block away, so we bought milk, cereal, plastic bowls and spoons. So we didn't have to pay for pricey breakfast this way. We went to the lincoln park zoo, which was free. We went to the Art museum on a Thursday night when it was free. The hotel room was $75/night. We bought a 3 day ride pass. So Chicago does not have to cost a lot if you do research and plan accordingly.

LOL, since talking about Chicago hotels, I found my trip report on TripAdvisor. It is from 2009, guess we were there longer than I thought. Just posting it in case anyone was interested.

Left WI Dells via Amtrack. Train was on time. Train was pretty full and husband and I did not find a seat together. When coach attendant came by to find out where I was going, I asked if there was anyway we could sit together, and she moved someone so we could. Very kind of her to do so. I really loved the train ride. Very comfortable seating.

Got to Union Station on time. Waited for a red cap to pick us up at the train, since my husband hurt his leg he has had to walk with a cane and can't walk that far. After waiting about 10 minutes a red cap finally came. He dropped us off where we could get the 3 day visitor pass. Bought two of those, they really came in handy. After I got the cards, realized that I left my backpack on the cart. About a minute later the red cap tracked me down with my backpack in tow. Thank goodness.

Took a cab to Ambassador East Hotel. Cost about $10 to get there. Decided with all the luggage, it would have been a bit difficult to take the bus. I was very impressed with the hotel, and will write that review separately.

After we got settled in our room, we decided to go to Portillos for dinner. Took the bus there. I really loved Portillos. Excellent hot dogs. I wanted to go back there a second time and get the Italian beef, but we never made it. I really liked the old time pictures and statues that had.

Day 2

Ate breakfast at 3rd Coast. I really did not find anything to great about this place.

We went to the CVS pharmacy after breakfast and bought milk and cereal so we could just eat breakfast in the hotel room (our room had a little refrigerator in it)that save a lot of time and money.

Took the red line and then the bus to Navy Pier.Borrowed one of their wheelchairs for my husband. I didn't find Navy Pier anything to exciting, but I really did like the museum of stained glass art. Really beautiful stained glass windows and doors.

We ate in the food court at Greek Delight (or whatever it was called) and had their gyros. I think we could have shared one, they were huge.

After Navy Pier took the bus to Michigan Ave to the Hershey place. Didn't find that place to exciting either. Had some lady there signing while building a cupcake. After the cupcake was done, she gave it away to some guy who shouted the loudest. It was funny.

We then took the red line to clark/division with a stop at baskin robbins/dunkin dounuts. I couldn't believe they had no tables and chairs in the place. A person we talked to said they had to take the table and chairs out because the homeless people would come in and just sit in them and sleep or fight with each other throwing chairs around. While we were there a couple of homeless people did come into the shop trying to get free handouts from the counter person.

Day 3

Went to the Lincoln Park Zoo. Borrowed a wheelchair from them for husband. Very nice zoo. Food was a bit overpriced, but since the zoo was free, can't really complain. We really liked the gorilla area. It was fun to watch the Silverback and his "kids".

The zoo was loaded with little kids, preschool age. It was really fun watching them watching the animals. They were all so excited.

After the zoo, we went to the conservatory, they really had a nice exhibition. Could have spent a lot more time there and at the zoo.

After the conservatory we took the bus back down to Michigan ave and to Ghiradellis. We ordered some yummies there. We also bought 5 chocolate bars there. Buy 4 get one free.

After that we took the bus down to the Art Institute for there free day. We stood in line for about 15 minutes since we got there at about 4:45. There was some guy playing the violin, he was really good, and he had his case out and people gave him money. While we were standing in line, some homeless guy came up the line asking for money while jiggling his cup. Said he hasn't worked in 30 years, (yeah right).

It was finally 5 and finally got into the Art Museum. Headed right for American Gothic ( and speaking of, while on the bus to get to the Art Museum, I saw a statue of the American Gothic people). After that we headed to the special exhibit about wine through the ages. Then we headed to the impressionists. We were only at the museum for about 1.5 hours, but since my husband was walking the entire time, his leg was starting to really hurt so we had to leave. The museum was awesome though, we want to come back sometime and just spend the day at the museum when hubbies leg is completely healed.

After we got out of the museum, another homeless guy, selling those papers, was literally shoving it in our faces, it was a bit annoying, but we just kept walking.

On the way back to the red line, we stopped at The Corner Bakery for dinner.

Day 4

Took a cab to Union Station and our trip home. This was nice because my hubby is a senior over 62 and since he got priority boarding, we had no trouble finding a seat together this time. The train ride back to the Dells was uneventful, but the air conditioner was so cold, and now my throat really hurts.

We had a very nice time in Chicago. Never made it to the signature lounge. Every time I wanted to go, it was just too hazy, and we wouldn't have been able to see anything. Never made it to the Lincoln Park nature center where the butterflies are, want to come back and do that also.

The CTA visitor pass really did come in handy. We left ours at the counter at the hotel in case someone could use it. It still had some time left on it.

Chicago was very clean. They have really cleaned it up since the last time I was there over 30 years ago.

People were generally very nice and very helpful. Ran into a few rude people, but not many.

Thanks everyone for all your help and suggestions. Can't wait to come back again.

One attraction mentioned in this post

The Ambassador is called Public now. The rooms are pretty. :)

I haven't stayed there yet, though. They usually have deals on Hotel Tonight, but even the deals are pricy.

Trivia: The Ambassador is the hotel used in the Chicago scenes from "North by Northwest".

Also, their Pump Room is famous: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pump_Room,_Chicago . The Chicago History Museum even has one of the old booths on display.

Why would anyone want to drive to Chicago and pay to park $50 a night at a hotel? Take the train, you will live longer.

okay, I just booked. Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel Chicago #14 on TripAdvisor. $130/night. Can't wait. I did opt in on the trip protection, as it was only $10. Now all I have to do is choose a hotel for 2 nights in Orlando near Sea World and I'll be all set. Boy, this is going to be an amazing trip.

Why would anyone want to drive to Chicago and pay to park $50 a night at a hotel? Take the train, you will live longer.
I drive sometimes, but I never park at the hotel (unless it's free). There's plenty of free parking in Chicago if you know the neighborhoods. ;)

You can also get super cheap parking on SpotHero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back