West Bound across the country - homeward bound via NER, LSL, SWC and C

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
12/11-14: BOS to CHI via NE Regional and Lake Shore Ltd

Sister and bro-in-law gave me a ride down to RTE station to catch the NE Regional #83. It was a fast goodbye, and then I waited outside on the platform in mild weather. The trip home began with a quick two hours to New Haven, where I spent a couple days visiting old friends. The weather was lovely, and we took the opportunity to get outside in the New England hills. The friends told me it was quite a change from last winter's blizzards and cold.

After just about exactly 48 hours in New Haven, I boarded the NE Regional #161 to NYP.

NE72_newhaven1.jpg

This time, I am in Business Class, as it's part of my three-zone redemption for the long trip home. It looks like the BC “perks” in the NER consist of big, comfy seats and clean restrooms, no food or drink. But I'm OK with that, as I have my own lunch of hard-boiled quail eggs (from one of my friends in CT), almonds and dried fruit. I top it off with a truffle from Champlain Chocolates, as I send an email to Hubby to let him know I have started the journey home. Luxury!

NYP (new York Penn Station) – now that's another scene! Infrastructure is currently being remodeled, and when I got off the Regional train, the crowd funneled up some stairs (no escalator in sight, people struggling to get heavy bags up the stairs). Then we funneled down corridors lined with plywood, and into an underground concourse. On the first pass through, I failed to find the Amtrak station turn-off, and ended up at the LIRR (I think that's Long Island Railroad) ticketing area. Then I saw Amtrak arrows pointing back the way I had come, and found the proper ticketing and waiting areas.

It was over an hour till my train, so I went back downstairs and bought a latte at Starbucks. Someone mentioned on this discussion board that there weren't any newsstands any more, so I was delighted to see that the concourse had a couple.

NE73_nyp.jpg

As I headed back upstairs again (found the escalator this time), it occurred to me that this was NYP! There should be a first-class lounge here! I asked at the well-signed waiting area, and they directed me to the opposite corner. Threading my way through the crowd felt like swimming upstream. What a relief to get checked in, sit down, and make myself a cup of tea.

I was relieved to see that it was still daylight when the Lake Shore Ltd emerged from the tunnel, slipped out of New York, past the iconic George Washington Bridge, and up the Hudson River. My roomette was on the wrong side, but my SCA, Kirk, let me sit in a roomette on the left so I could watch the river till dark (he is excellent: knows what is needed, when it's needed, but not obtrusive). The river was much more beautiful than I had expected: the hills were higher, and hugged it closer. I observed the river infrastructure: marinas with shrink-wrapped boats and racks of kayaks, industrial sites, parks, barges with Christmas lights. Pretty soon the river was just lights reflected on dark water, so I went back to my side.

On my way to dinner, I saw a woman I had exchanged pleasantries with in the Acela Lounge, and we went in together. Diner staff told us to sit wherever we wanted, and did not seat anyone with us. I had the steak, followed by the chocolate tart (which came set out on a plate, topped with a strawberry). Conversation lasted long after dinner, as I had found an interesting woman with a story (see the top photo here).

The 4920 car is normally the “Boston sleeper”, but with the Albany track work, it's being hauled to NYP and back rather than split off at Albany. When I changed my reservation to start from New Haven instead of Boston, I was kept in the same sleeper (and actually got to occupy it right from the start, instead of getting the “stub train”). The car was almost empty to Albany, just me and a couple going only to Albany. People that boarded from the Boston section reported they had been re-booked to coach on the stub train, and not even given the option to sit in BC.

I had finished dinner by Albany, so I jumped off the train to take advantage of the wi-fi in the station and email Hubby. When I re-boarded, I was busy talking again with my dinner companion, so it took me quite a while to notice that the train was still sitting in the station. Something about having to change the engines. By the time we left, we were over an hour late. In the morning, we appeared to have re-gained about half the delay. Breakfast, served in the western side of Eastern Time, started in the dark. It's raining, but I think it is still unseasonably warm outside.

11/14-16: CHI to LAX via Southwest Chief

I explored the area north of Union Station (French Market + coffee), then walked east about ten blocks past the river to meet my nephew for lunch at Goddess and the Baker. A Garden Goddess wrap was just the thing for a fresh change from train food. Nephew went back to work, and I walked back to the Metropolitan Lounge to get online before I boarded. Met AU user KC Ghost Rider, as prearranged, and we agreed to talk later on the train.

Walked out to the waiting train, to be met by our SCA, Peggy. As soon as all were aboard, she gave us an update on all the usual stuff – and then announced that we had wifi in the sleepers! So far, though, it's been so slow as to be nonfunctional. Still trying... actually, it worked better the next morning when there weren't so many people online.

I had the steak again for dinner, and sat with a man who does Cycle Oregon every year. Since I have volunteered for the event, and have friends that participate, we had a lot to talk about. Before I went to brush my teeth, I pulled the call button and left my curtain open a couple inches. By the time I got back, SCA Peggy had put my bed down. What a gem she is! My breakfast partner, who takes the SWC often, assured me she's one of the best (contrasted with the car he's in this trip, where the beds aren't up after breakfast, the toilets need to be re-set because they aren't flushing, and no one can find the SCA).

The ride was pretty bumpy from Topeka to Colorado, with plenty of squeaking from the top bunk (which was up), but I slept through almost all of it, and learned the second night to lower the bunk one notch. I think that track is better than it used to be, at least! From Trinidad to Lamy, the ride is slow but very scenic. I hopped off at Raton, where SCA Peggy took a photo of me:

NE74_raton1.jpg

I always like to see the off-grid solar community on the north side of the track just before Lamy.

A little philosophical digression: when I emailed my friend Lynne to tell her I was on the train west, she mailed back “Train riding is about patience.” I emailed back to her: for me, the journey is the whole point. I don't see merely that it is going to take me four whole days to get from point to point B. Instead, I see that I have four whole days of “me” time: time to knit, to read, to write, to think, to talk with interesting people, to share meals in the dining car as the scenery rolls by. WHAT LUXURY! The end, and my return to a world where my days are measured by how much I accomplish, will come soon enough (and I will start planning the next trip...).

11/16-17: LAX to BND via Coast Starlight and High Desertpoint shuttle:

I set my alarm for 5am, so I could get breakfast (5-6am only) as we rolled towards LA. On arriving, I checked in at the Metropolitan Lounge, left my big roller-bag in the corner, and went out for a walk. Only a few of the vendors in the Olvera Street market were beginning to open up. Same with Chinatown, but it was a lovely cool morning and the sun felt good, so I walked the length of Chinatown, and then back on Alameda Street past Philippe's.

When I arrived back at the Metro Lounge, the Coast Starlight had been posted for boarding, I found that in my absence, my big bag had been tagged as “screened” by Amtrak. That's a first for me, does anyone know what's up with that? I got myself a cup of tea and walked out to Track 10.

I am so happy as I approach the train to see that we have a real Parlour Car! On board, my SCA Cindy greets each roomette and gives a personalized intro. Mine is very brief, as she asks right away, have I been on the train before? Yup. This makes the trip a first: 100% lucky on sleeper car attendants, both directions! I head to the Parlour Car to get online and wait for lunch.

The Greek salad with chicken for lunch is delicious, and it is nice to have real dishes to eat on instead of plastic. After I am served, we come out onto the coast and the view of the sparkling, bright-blue afternoon on the water is spectacular. This is the first time my chocolate mousse tart has been served with whipped cream.

Still have most of a day before I must get off the train, but I am going to pause here and post this... more later, if there's anything of note to report.

I had Peggy in 2014 on the way to the Gathering. I too, loved her. She gave me her "business card" and I was sure to let Amtrak know how much I appreciated her service.

When I arrived back at the Metro Lounge, the Coast Starlight had been posted for boarding, I found that in my absence, my big bag had been tagged as “screened” by Amtrak. That's a first for me, does anyone know what's up with that? I got myself a cup of tea and walked out to Track 10.
When I went through Los Angeles (just after the new luggage rules went into effect), the Metropolitan Lounge attendant weighed my bag to verify it was under 50 pounds, and put a tag on it. I'm guessing that's what your tag meant.

When I went through Los Angeles (just after the new luggage rules went into effect), the Metropolitan Lounge attendant weighed my bag to verify it was under 50 pounds, and put a tag on it. I'm guessing that's what your tag meant.
This may have been a security concern. Leaving an unattended bag in a public space is a no-no. Think Boston Bombers. However, since you were in the Metropolitan Lounge I am surprised they would take note and willem may have it right.

This may have been a security concern. Leaving an unattended bag in a public space is a no-no. Think Boston Bombers. However, since you were in the Metropolitan Lounge I am surprised they would take note and willem may have it right.
For those who have never been to the LA Lounge, it is really strange. It's set up very nicely with lots of chairs, outlets, lovely photos on the wall etc.

What is strange is there is nowhere for baggage storage, you just leave your bag along the wall. All of the other lounges have a baggage storage room. This concerns me that they "screened" your bag like this.

That may hve been it! I did see the scale... and yes, I left it right where I was told to leave it! Nothing unusual there.

A little philosophical digression: when I emailed my friend Lynne to tell her I was on the train west, she mailed back “Train riding is about patience.” I emailed back to her: for me, the journey is the whole point. I don't see merely that it is going to take me four whole days to get from point to point B. Instead, I see that I have four whole days of “me” time: time to knit, to read, to write, to think, to talk with interesting people, to share meals in the dining car as the scenery rolls by. WHAT LUXURY! The end, and my return to a world where my days are measured by how much I accomplish, will come soon enough (and I will start planning the next trip...).

I totally agree!!!!

Enjoyed the rest of your trip report.

My sister and I have done much of this trip. Your photos are bringing back memories- especially of Raton- one of our favorite places.

Back