New Orleans hotel

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rosewood

Train Attendant
We are overnight one night mid January any suggestions for nearby hotels?

we like the comfort inn maison st charles . right on the st charles streetcar line. about six blocks from the train station. located in the lower garden district. we walk from the station and back, in the daytime, but some might not care to. nice rooms, pool, good breakfast. when we have stayed, the rate has been around $100 but with your trip nearing mardi gras i would guess it would be more

Last edited by a moderator:
There's lots of hotels in New Orleans (check any of the Travel sites) but the closest one to Union Station, that's affordable, is the Holiday Inn Superdome on Loyola St., about 5 blocks away.

I recommend Hotel Plas D'Armes on St. Anne St., right behind the Cathedral, close to the French Market, Cafe Du Monde etc. Beautiful 200 year old building with a great Courtyard.,nice rooms etc. Upstairs rooms are larger and quieter!Most times under $125 a night when no Major events are scheduled.

I see from another thread you are catching the Sunset Ltd for LAX so you will have time for breakfast before heading to Union Station.

Lots of hotels have breakfast included but since you're in a World Class Food City I'd suggest having a delicious brunch somewhere before heading to Union Station.( remember the 45 minute rule if you're checking luggage)

Cabs are unreliable in New Orleans when called, so riding the Street Car or even walking to Union Station might work if the weather is nice!

Last edited by a moderator:
I stay at Le Richelieu in NOLA. Very quiet section of the Quarter. About a 10 minute cab ride...walking distance to everything. Cafe DuMonde, French Market, great restaurants. You should get a room in mid-January for about $135.

http://www.lerichelieuhotel.com/

We just returned from NOLA but stayed with friends. On other trips have stayed at Placed'Armes and Richelieu as mentioned by others. Both good. Even if out of your comfort zone try one of the non chain hotels and certainly restaurants. Enjoy the uniqueness of of the French quarter even if hotels migh be a bit quirky. But don't stay on Bourbon st. For transportation we found Uber more reliable and cheaper than taxis.

Thanks to all for your replies! The taxi tips and foodie ideas were great.

We just returned from NOLA but stayed with friends. On other trips have stayed at Placed'Armes and Richelieu as mentioned by others. Both good. Even if out of your comfort zone try one of the non chain hotels and certainly restaurants. Enjoy the uniqueness of of the French quarter even if hotels migh be a bit quirky. But don't stay on Bourbon st. For transportation we found Uber more reliable and cheaper than taxis.
Great advice! You really have to experience the Quarter and the essence of New Orleans. The aforementioned Le Richelieu in on Chartres (Charters) and a very quiet area, albeit the Quarter. Have fun!

I've stayed at the aloft. Very close by. Possibly walkable. The Hyatt is even closer. The aloft is very central to walk to the French quarter and canal street.

I liked Le Pavillon. It's about a half-mile from the station, and it's an easy streetcar ride (or walk) to the French Quarter.

Has anyone ever stayed at the New Orleans Guest House? I first learned about it reading one of the trip reports from the Amtrak blog from one of the Amtrak in Residency people. Just curious if anybody has been there also!

We stayed at the Prince Conti Hotel. Right in the smack middle of the French Quarter. The hotel is right on the corner of Conti and Bourbon street so you will be right in the heart of all the hoopla if your into that.

Quality Inn (where we have stayed multiple times going through NOL) has a good Tripadvisor rating and is a few blocks off the trolley line to the station. Moreover, if you miss the trolley, it is not a bad walk (we have missed the trolley and walked twice) even for an out-of-shape senior.

Thanks for all the input I have booked at Quality Inn as stated above by a couple of responders. It looks great and close to the station . We arrive about 3pm and leave next morning at 9am so a short stay. Looking forward to our RT Portland.

Thanks for all the input I have booked at Quality Inn as stated above by a couple of responders. It looks great and close to the station . We arrive about 3pm and leave next morning at 9am so a short stay. Looking forward to our RT Portland.
Excellent! Just make your way to the Quarter for some dinner and people watching. Also, they are not called trolleys there....only streetcars. As in A Streetcar Named Desire....give that film a look to really get in the mood for New Orleans. Where are you staying in Portland? I have some lodging ideas there as well. Have fun!

I almost always stay at the Hotel St. Marie, Bourbon Street is just a half block away. The rates there are pretty decent, standard rate for 12/14 arrival is $99, like all hotels price varies based on the load.

We live just east of Portland and lived in Portland for 30 yrs prior. Still my favorite city.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back