experienced Amtrak riders, help explain...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HARHBG

Service Attendant
Would a veteran, experienced Amtrak Rider please explain to me...........I've read, re-read and read again to the point my eyes are crossing,..... the Amtrak Policy for changing reservations but I still don't "get it" and even a call to Amtrak has left me....???.............still "in the dark", HA!!

I booked a Long Distance trip from my home in Harrisburg, PA to Portland, OR. Right now I'm going on the Pennsylvanian to Pittsburgh, arriving Pittsburgh at 8:00P.M. (2200hr) roughly. Around midnight I'm supposed to board the Capitol Limited to Chicago, arriving about 8:30 A.M. (0830hrs). It's then on to the Southwest Chief to Los Angeles and the Coast Starlight to Portland. I specifically did this because I've never been on the Southwest Chief. I've ridden the Empire Builder and California Zepher.

I just realized if I leave Harrisburg just an hour earlier, I could go from Harrisburg to Philadelphia, then to Washington and board the Capitol Limited in Washington and on to Chicago.

I've done the Harrisburg, Pittsburgh, Chicago several times now and the layover in Pittsburgh is the PITTS. (Punn Intended). I'd much rather spend a few more $$'s and do Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Washinton, Chicago. Boarding the Capitol Limited in Washington, I'd get Dinner AND Breakfast and full use of the sleeper I'm paying for.

How do I change that first section of the trip to Portland (Harrisburg to Chicago) with the least grief and expense? I'm not leaving until late October so I have time to fool around with it but don't know HOW to do it. The sleeper is already reserved and paid for from Pittsburgh to Chicago so I don't see why it should be such a nightmare to alter that first piece. Harrisburg to Chicago. When I called Amtrak and tried to explain what I wanted to do the Agent asked me, "Why would you want to do that?" i.e., change the reservation from Harrisburg to Chicago via Philadelphia/Washington vrs, Pittsburgh. Agent told me it was "stupid", "didn't make sense" to go to Washington first from Harrisburg.

HELP Anyone???

When I needed to modify a segment of a trip I just called and simply said I'd like to change this part of the trip. I'd keep my why answer short: meet a friend on the layover or a "scheduling" conflict in the household. Call back and hopefully get someone more competent

Last edited by a moderator:
Ditto. That agent is a nitwit. Most that I have spoken to are very helpful. Your request is perfectly valid. Call again and don't take NO for an answer.

As was said, just call back an when you get an agent tell them you want to "revise" your reservation/ not cancel!

Tell them you want to ride a an EARLY Keystone train HAR-PHL( #42 runs too late to get you from PHL-WAS in time for #30 which leaves WAS @ 405pm)/ then a Regional or Acela ( can be pricey depending on day and train) to WAS and board #30 in your Roomette( doubtful anyone will book it from WAS-PGH, but if they have the agent can fix this).

Since you have a same day Sleeper ticket, you will be able to use the Club Acelas in PHL and WAS while waiting on your trains.

As you said, you'll get Dinner out of WAS, but depending on the Buckets this will likely cost you anywhere from a reasonable amount( $100) to alot($250)???!!!

If the agent says they can't do it, ask for a Supervisor, its easy to arrange!

Check amsnag.net ( developed by our own Paul M.) for the Fares on the day you are traveling, and you'll have an idea of how much more it will cost you before you call!

That agent was wrong for calling your modification "stupid", and you don't have to justify your reasoning.

I can understand if an agent is trying to be helpful, thinking you might not know about the shorter and more direct segment available to you, but if you say you're aware of that but would rather take the longer/scenic route, that's not their place to judge. I've had some agents question me (politely) and then say something like, "Oh! I see what you're doing. That will be a fun trip!"

Simply call back and explain that you'd like to modify that segment. If you encounter another rude agent, ask for a supervisor. There is no excuse for calling a customer or their plans "stupid".

Ditto. That agent is a nitwit. Most that I have spoken to are very helpful. Your request is perfectly valid. Call again and don't take NO for an answer.
How do you not take no for an answer when you're dealing with a call center? The more you complain the more likely they are to add comments to your record that will make it even more difficult to change anything in the future. Your request is only as valid as the faceless voice on the other end views it.

How do you not take no for an answer when you're dealing with a call center? The more you complain the more likely they are to add comments to your record that will make it even more difficult to change anything in the future. Your request is only as valid as the faceless voice on the other end views it.
What I do with call agents if I don't think they are serving me and I think their answer is wrong is not to get in a big argument with them. I call back in a bit and talk to another agent. That usually works out pretty well.

I just realized if I leave Harrisburg just an hour earlier, I could go from Harrisburg to Philadelphia, then to Washington and board the Capitol Limited in Washington and on to Chicago.

I'm sure where how you figure leaving Harrisburg "just an hour earlier."

• The Pennsylvanian leaves Harrisburg at 2:36pm.
  • The Capitol Limited leaves Washington at 4:05pm.
  • The last Regional between Philadelphia and Washington with a guaranteed connection to the Capitol Limited is Northeast Regional #125 that leaves Philadelphia at 1:00pm and arrives Washington at 3:05pm.
  • In order to catch #125 at Philadelphia with a guaranteed connection, you would have to take Keystone #648 leaving Harrisburg at 10:00am and arriving Philadelphia at 11:36 am.
This is the plan:

• #648 10:00am HAR 11:36am PHL - 1hr 24min layover
  • #125 1:00pm PHL 3:05pm WAS - 1hr layover
  • #30 4:05pm WAS
In order to go from Harrisburg to Chicago via Philadelphia and Washington, you would have to leave at 10:00am - just over 4-1/2 hours earlier than taking the Pennsylvanian directly west at 2:36pm

I would persist with the Amtrak agents to get the reroute that you want thru WAS. The Potomac River Valley is quite beautiful in October, and you get to enjoy your room in the sleeper for an extra 8(?) hours.

Your reason should not matter if you want to make a change. Call back.

(and I'm with you--the Pittsburgh layover stinks. As much as I would love the ride west across PA, I always book through PHL/WAS solely to avoid that layover in either direction)

To;PRR60......You are 100% correct. I was looking at the 1:00P.M. (1300hr) leave time from Philadelphia when I wrote "1 Hour earlier". .... My goof!, And that is exactly what I did...I leave Harrisurg at 10:00A.M. (1000hr)..............

Does AGR have the ability to add comments to a "record"? I've worked for approximately twelve call centers over the years, and only one software program had the ability to add comments to a customer's account. Even then, we were limited to about 160 characters, and it had to stay professional since the comments were initial-stamped. The comments were mostly used for things like "Customer prefers UPS to DHL" or "Night shift employee - do not call before noon EST".

I'm just curious. I always see this hubbub about the magical "comment record" whenever someone mentions any company that deals with customer service, but I tend to see it as paranoia.

Does AGR have the ability to add comments to a "record"? I've worked for approximately twelve call centers over the years, and only one software program had the ability to add comments to a customer's account. Even then, we were limited to about 160 characters, and it had to stay professional since the comments were initial-stamped. The comments were mostly used for things like "Customer prefers UPS to DHL" or "Night shift employee - do not call before noon EST".

I'm just curious. I always see this hubbub about the magical "comment record" whenever someone mentions any company that deals with customer service, but I tend to see it as paranoia.
Yes. AGR can put notes on a members file.

My suggestion is if you want to go through PHL try to board 141. Train leaves PHL about 1110am and arrives in DC at 1pm. I did this a couple years ago and it was the best thing to do. At 3pm they were calling my name over the PA for my redcap. Or take a noon time Regional.

I'm sure where how you figure leaving Harrisburg "just an hour earlier."

• The Pennsylvanian leaves Harrisburg at 2:36pm.
  • The Capitol Limited leaves Washington at 4:05pm.
  • The last Regional between Philadelphia and Washington with a guaranteed connection to the Capitol Limited is Northeast Regional #125 that leaves Philadelphia at 1:00pm and arrives Washington at 3:05pm.
  • In order to catch #125 at Philadelphia with a guaranteed connection, you would have to take Keystone #648 leaving Harrisburg at 10:00am and arriving Philadelphia at 11:36 am.
This is the plan:

• #648 10:00am HAR 11:36am PHL - 1hr 24min layover
  • #125 1:00pm PHL 3:05pm WAS - 1hr layover
  • #30 4:05pm WAS
In order to go from Harrisburg to Chicago via Philadelphia and Washington, you would have to leave at 10:00am - just over 4-1/2 hours earlier than taking the Pennsylvanian directly west at 2:36pm

Question: If any of these train run late, will they guarantee the connection? It seems as if you freelance and make your own route, you run the risk of being responsible for your own connections.

That being said, I'd take Acela150's advice and take the earlier train for the connection.

Does AGR have the ability to add comments to a "record"? I've worked for approximately twelve call centers over the years, and only one software program had the ability to add comments to a customer's account. Even then, we were limited to about 160 characters, and it had to stay professional since the comments were initial-stamped. The comments were mostly used for things like "Customer prefers UPS to DHL" or "Night shift employee - do not call before noon EST". I'm just curious. I always see this hubbub about the magical "comment record" whenever someone mentions any company that deals with customer service, but I tend to see it as paranoia.
I wasn't concerned about recorded comments until I heard a second AGR agent from a different call reading them to me over the phone weeks later. Sorry if my "paranoid" example doesn't match the Pollyanna experience of your call center career.

THANKS so much to all who took the time to write and all the advice I've seen posted. What is great about sites like this is that it provides such a "learning opportunity" to all of us new to Amtrak Travel.

To let everyone know....It took TWO more call to Amtrak to ge what I wanted, but I did it. Additional cost was a total of $110.00 which I'm more than happy to pay in order to avoid the change in Pittsburgh AND get to ride the Capitol Limited frm Beginning to End. Or End to Beginning?? :)

One posting questioned if creating your own "custom" itinerary would Amtrak will guarantee connections? My LIMITED EXPERIENCE says NO. OR it depends??? I seem to recall reading somewhere that Amtrak has a 2 hour rule about connections?

Example: in the Spring of 2015 I rode from Harrisburg, PA to Portland, OR. ..... Pennsylvanian, Capitol Limited at Pittsburgh and Empire Builder from Chicago to Portland......... BUT Amtrak WOULD NOT "ALLOW", that is, ......would not book the exact same trip in reverse, .....West to East. I could reverse the trip West to East via Empire Builder "on my own" but Amtrak would not guarantee the connection of the Empire Builder in Chicago, West to East. To get a guaranteed connection in Chicago, Amtrak INSISTED I book Coast Starlight to Emeryville, California Zepher to Chicago, then Capitol Limited to Pittsburgh and Pennsylvanian to Harrisburg. This "Amtrak Approved" return trip cost me an extra 350.00+. Amtrak offered no discount for this longer return trip. So, this being my second Long Distance round-trip on Amtrak I went with the longer, more expensive guaranteed connections "Amtrak Approved" return route because I did not want to try and deal with a missed connection in Chicago.............no idea/no experience of where to begin AND reconstructing the Chicago to Harrisburg............BUT my "Consolation Prize" was I got to ride the Coast Starlight (with Parlour Car) north to south and the California Zepher, west to east.

To Sarah's question above, comments most definitely can be added to reservation records in the airline systems I've used (as an airline employee). Amtrak's system is at its core an airline reservations system. An unlimited number of free text comments can be added by anyone with the ability to modify a reservation. OTOH, adding comments to someone's frequent flyer account is much harder to do and requires approval.

To Sarah's question above, comments most definitely can be added to reservation records in the airline systems I've used (as an airline employee). Amtrak's system is at its core an airline reservations system. An unlimited number of free text comments can be added by anyone with the ability to modify a reservation. OTOH, adding comments to someone's frequent flyer account is much harder to do and requires approval.
That has been my experience as well. It's rare that something is written that cannot be worked around eventually, but it can substantially increase the time and effort required to go down a new path. I have used and supported various ticketing systems in my own career and they have always included free form entry fields for logging prior discussions and decisions. There are few things more amusing than reading the internal commentary in a ticketing system that disallows removal or revision of prior comments, especially in the case of extranets.

One posting questioned if creating your own "custom" itinerary would Amtrak will guarantee connections? My LIMITED EXPERIENCE says NO. OR it depends??? I seem to recall reading somewhere that Amtrak has a 2 hour rule about connections?
Amtrak's support for "guaranteed" connections is so poor that I've stopped worrying about it. I immediately start making my own arrangements if I know a connection is going to be broken, because I know damn well that Amtrak isn't going to do anything for me. I do leave enough time between trains to allow for the typical lateness of a given train (as measured by Amtrakdelays).

The reason Amtrak wouldn't guarantee the same-day connection from the Empire Builder going eastbound is that it's routinely been arriving 5-6 hours late, sometimes more I wouldn't schedule that myself. On the other hand, if you get a hotel room in Chicago (which costs less than $350) Amtrak will guarantee your connection the next day, and it is reliable. I did that earlier this year.

Amtrak's support for "guaranteed" connections is so poor that I've stopped worrying about it. I immediately start making my own arrangements if I know a connection is going to be broken, because I know damn well that Amtrak isn't going to do anything for me. I do leave enough time between trains to allow for the typical lateness of a given train (as measured by Amtrakdelays).

The reason Amtrak wouldn't guarantee the same-day connection from the Empire Builder going eastbound is that it's routinely been arriving 5-6 hours late, sometimes more I wouldn't schedule that myself. On the other hand, if you get a hotel room in Chicago (which costs less than $350) Amtrak will guarantee your connection the next day, and it is reliable. I did that earlier this year.
I had a very good serviceperson when I called a few days ago. I had FLG-CHI booked as an AGR redemption, and then CHI-WAS-PHL as revenue, with an additional ticket PHL-PAO, for a total of three reservations. I called concerning "guaranteed" reservations, because trains 4 and 30 had to be booked as separate reservations due to the AGR redemption. However, I wanted to make sure that the connection would be guaranteed if 4 was late into Chicago. The rep on the phone confirmed that since that was a guaranteed connection, that it would be noted in both reservations so I would not have an issue. He then went above and beyond the call of duty and checked my entire itinerary, checking it segment by segment. He did comment that CHI-WAS-PHL-PAO was not a guaranteed connection, because the guaranteed connection was CHI-PGH-PAO (30/42), and checked each segment to see if each individual connection was guaranteed. The only connection not guaranteed was the one in Philly (Regional-Keystone) but I wasn't worried about that since Keystones are unreserved so if I miss it I can just catch the next one.

So I guess if you get a good rep they will check your custom itinerary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back