Additional sleeper on Cardinal?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks,

Longtime lurker, first time poster.

I'm booked on The Cardinal on 5/3 STA to CHI in a bedroom. Got the last one back in January. Last week, for some reason, I checked availability on the Card that day and now there were two more bedrooms available and a number of roomettes. So, I conclude Amtrak added a sleeper to the consist, eh? Does this happen often? What kind of impact on dining and lounge does this have?

How does one find out about an individual train's consist ... or does one?

Any experienced wisdom on this would be appreciated.

Welcome!

Yep! Last summer was the first summer, Amtrak is able to schedule maintenance and reduce the number of spare cars for a short period and are using that to get an extra sleeper on the Cardinal.

Good news! Did you find a lower fare for the Bedroom, if so call and modify, not cancel, your rez and you'll get a refund in the difference if the sleeping car charge is lower than your " last one" bedroom?!!

The Diner- Lite will be busier but Sleeping car pax get priority on the Card! Try not to get the table with no window, its the worst seat on Amtrak!

And the " French toast sticks" for breakfast are bad!

I've found the lunches, especially the sandwiches with fresh fruit and garnish

to be the best meals on the Card, with the Fish ( especially the Salmon) the best Dinner choice!

Hopefully you'll have plenty of sunlight left while going through the New River Gorge! And keep in mind the Card usually runs late but kick back and enjoy the ride!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Many thanks. Jim, our ultimate destination -- after a little time in Chicago -- is Austin on the Eagle. Any tips on that route?

Many thanks. Jim, our ultimate destination -- after a little time in Chicago -- is Austin on the Eagle. Any tips on that route?
Small world, I live in Austin and the Eagle is my home train!! I'm not sure when you are riding but there will be track work going on between Joliet and St. Louis soon so the Eagle may be re-routed thru Amish Farm Country?
If so, it makes no stops except one quickie crew change stop between Chicago and St. Louis.

If it takes the regular route you'll stop in Joliet ( interesting old Union Station on the right, pretty Minor League Baseball Stadium on the Left across the tracks)),Pontiac, Bloomington-Normal, home of State Farm and a nice new station, Lincoln, Springfield, the State Capital is on the right after the station stop which is a major stop, then lots of Farm country as you roll down along the old Route 66 on the right till you get to brief stops in Carinville and Alton!(flagstops) It should be dark by this time and Dinner will be served in the Cross Country Cafe.

When you get to East St Louis you will be on slow orders due to bad tracks going through lots of rust belt industrial wasteland, then the Mississippi River will be on your right,you'll see the Arch and Downtown St Louis lighted up, cross the bridge into the Intermodel stop ( last major stop until Ft. Worth!, you'll want to stretch your legs! The Station is upstairs via elevator or escelator but don't leave the platform even though this is a crew change/train servicing stop. Last call for boarding passengers is when the train leaves here!

You'll go through miles of rail yards, suburbs etc slowly and then have a last glimpse if the Mississippi on the left as you start into nowhere heading into the Ozarks and middle of the night stops in Popular Bluff,Walnut Ridge, Little Rock , Malvern and Arkadelphia are flagstops, then Hope ( hometown of Bill Clinton and Mike Huckabee), it should be getting light as you approach Texarkana, the train stops half in Arkansas and half in Texas. If on time Breakfast will start after you leave heading into the Texas Piney Woods for Marshall( crew change but you cant detrain)which has a Beautiful old Station/ Rail Museum, Longview which has a nicely restored station and where they way buses go to Shreveport and Houston/Galveston. You can get off briefly to stretch your legs.

Then its on through small Piney Woods towns along the old Highway 80 to Mineola and on into Dallas! You'll go through a badly decayed Industrial area and Trinity River swamps into Union Station for a brief stop. As you leave Union Sration you'll see Dealy Plaza where President Kennedy was asassinated with the Grassy Knoll, Texas Book Depository Museum on the right as you cross the RT trestle.

If on time, after the train leaves heading for Ft. Worth, lunch will be served in the CCC. You'll can see the urban landscape and Industrial areas until you're in Arlington where you'll be able to see the Six Flags Amusement Park, the Texas Rangers Baseball Stadium and the Mother Ship, Jerry World, aka AT&T Cowboy Stadium on the right.

You'll shortly see the Skyline of Fort Worth and back into the Intermodel Station through the Diamond @ the Infamous Tower 55. You will have time to go into the Station here but ask how long, it can be from over an hour to as brief as 20 minutes depending on the OTP!

After leaving Ft. Worth, ( you will meet #22 either arriving into the station or down the line depending on the OTP) you'll cruise down to a stop @ old Santa Few Railroad Town of Cleburne ( large yards and closed ships on the left), through the Brazos River Valley Ranching Country ( spotty Cell Service) ,past Crawford ( the "City" where George W VmBush hangs our when @ his nearby Ranch), on your not Mc Gregor for a quick stop ( for the Nearby city of Waco) and into Temple! Look for the Beautiful old Restored Santa Fe Station which is now a City owned event Center, Rail Museum and Amtrak Station. Several pieces of old passenger and freight equipment on display on the left in front of the station and a nice park where the Harvey House and Rail Hospital used to be! Dinner will start after leaving here, reservations are taken after leaving Cleburne.

You'll stop in the old farming, Bar- B-Q and railroad town of Taylor briefly ( District Hdqs for UP) The old MoPac Station us on the right side, the Amtrak " Station" is a picnic table with s roof beside it!! LOL

Then its on through Hutto, Round Rock ( home of Dell Computers)and through a Gravel Plant @ McNeil where you pass under the Ligh Rail Red Line which runs 26 miles from Leander to downtown Austin!

You'll go down the middle of the MoPac Expressway with traffic on both sides ( usually stop and go!) till you get downtown, go around the corner and pull into the old MoPac Station right downtown surrounded by high rises!

Sorry this is so long and I sound like a booster but even though I've ridden the Eagle for years and years many, many times,it's still a LD train that's fun! Hopefully you'll get a good crew, there are a some good ones ( and a few duds and jerks!!) on this route!

Many thanks, Jim! Yeah, I saw you lived in Austin so figured you knew the TE well.

I'm leaving CHI on 5/5/15 re the track work.

Also, I'm booked on "421" in bedroom D ... My understanding is that sleeper and a coach are at the end of the consist so they can be easily removed in San Antonio and added to #1 to LA. have you ever done that? How far away does that make the diner?

I have read a lot of disparaging things about CCC dining. Your opinion? Sounds like you can get dinner before arriving in Austin ... especially if it's late which it seems like it usually is. So, you don't hate the CCCs too bad?

Moonshiner: #21/#421 generally only has one revenue sleeper between CHI and SAS! It is located behind the bag car ( something new on this route!!) and trans dorm with the CCC( Diner) and Sightseer Lounge behind it with the Coaches on the rear!

The LA cutout Coach will be switched along with the #421/#21 Sleeper in separate moves to the rear of #1/the Sunset Ltd. in SAS when it arrives from NOL!!

As for the CCC, once they got rid of the Mafia seats in the Diner part of the car, its just like a regular Superliner Diner but the Food Service Crews don't like to work them due to the dumb waiter set up!

They are substituted for Regular Diners, Sightseer Lounges and even for the PPCs on the Starlight when such cars are bad ordered or in short supply! Like all hybrids, they don't cut the mustard in this role very well!!

The Cafe/Lounge half of the car is pretty much wasted, it serves as a hangout for the Crew since there is a Cafe downstairs in the Sightseer Lounge!

As I said, Dinner starts after you leave Temple or 5pm and 530pm rezs if running late, with last call in Austin or no later than 7pm since the Diner crew spends the night in SAS and turns in the morning on #22!

Thanks Jim, very useful info. Guess I assumed 421 would mean two sleepers but I realize now that wouldn't really be necessary....

We rode the Cardinal to CHI last June and there was only one sleeper. Then we heard later on that another sleeper was added. This is a good idea as the sleeper space on this route was always very limited BUT passengers from two sleepers crowding the small half café car is IMO a very bad idea. If you have two sleepers a dining car becomes a necessity.

As for the Cardinal's food, we've tried it a few times, the menu is limited and the food is acceptable at best. Some menu items are decent and other menu items are terrible. As Jim said the French toast sticks for breakfast are terrible as are the foul tasting rubbery pre-prepared eggs heated in a convection oven. To get the most out of the Cardinal dining experience think convection oven. Everything is heated in a convection oven in the diner lite. There is NO grill. Think of the foods that you would heat in a convection oven and if you wouldn't do it at home, don't believe that Amtrak can do it any better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back