Measles at NYP

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

George K

Conductor
Measles in New York.

State health officials say an upstate college student who took an Amtrak train out of Penn Station earlier this week has been diagnosed with the highly contagious measles.

The student was diagnosed at Bard College in Dutchess County, officials said, but had traveled out of New York City on Sunday, potentially exposing people beyond the campus.

Anyone who traveled on Amtrak train no. 283 departing Penn Station at 1:20 p.m. on Jan. 25 is urged to contact their doctor if they're not immune to measles and they develop a fever. The train was headed to Albany and Niagara.

The wonderful thing about measles is that you're contagious before you even know you're sick (4 days).

Last edited by a moderator:
Fortunately its effects can be much reduced through vaccination. Had most not already been vaccinated or actually had the disease in the past, we would at present be looking at a much more widespread event. Of course, this is an experiment that is ongoing about how effective getting a vaccination 30 years back is, and whether booster doses should be required to maintain resistance.

Interesting that they are focusing just on the train passengers and not also on the hundreds of people who were presumably at Penn Station when said person passed through there.

I thought the same thing. I would have focused on Penn Station as well. Look at what's happening in Disneyland. Good point about the old vaccinations. Do we really know how effective they are, a third of a century later?

Interesting that they are focusing just on the train passengers and not also on the hundreds of people who were presumably at Penn Station when said person passed through there.
Perhaps because she was in a more enclosed space for a longer period of time. Yes, I know that doesn't mean the people at NYP, etc, aren't at risk.

Do they say how she traveled to NYP? Car, taxi, bus, subway?

Although it wasn't 30 years (more like 20+), I caught the measles when working at a shopping mall about 30 years ago. It is interesting about not considering the other people at NYP. How about all the workers at all the stores and shops at NYP? How about all the commuters just passing through NYP to the subway, LIRR or NJT?

I thought the same thing. I would have focused on Penn Station as well. Look at what's happening in Disneyland. Good point about the old vaccinations. Do we really know how effective they are, a third of a century later?
There are tests known as quantitative titers, to measure the level of antibodies. Some colleges require them of students, to not only check for immunization history (or past exposure) but also for actual immunity. Many healthcare workers are required to take these tests periodically and possibly get vaccinated until they have an acceptable result.

http://m.kdlt.com/news/does-your-measles-vaccine-still-work/30987596

There are tests known as quantitative titers, to measure the level of antibodies. Some colleges require them of students, to not only check for immunization history (or past exposure) but also for actual immunity. Many healthcare workers are required to take these tests periodically and possibly get vaccinated until they have an acceptable result.

http://m.kdlt.com/news/does-your-measles-vaccine-still-work/30987596
My youngest daughter had to get one done for chicken pox because when she was a toddler they were just starting to do the vaccine and she did not get the vaccine because she had already had the chicken pox - twice (first case was mild).

I'm going to share this with my oldest daughter because she lives in CA and her husband was born with a heart condition and we're a little worried for him.

There are tests known as quantitative titers, to measure the level of antibodies. Some colleges require them of students, to not only check for immunization history (or past exposure) but also for actual immunity. Many healthcare workers are required to take these tests periodically and possibly get vaccinated until they have an acceptable result.http://m.kdlt.com/news/does-your-measles-vaccine-still-work/30987596
My youngest daughter had to get one done for chicken pox because when she was a toddler they were just starting to do the vaccine and she did not get the vaccine because she had already had the chicken pox - twice (first case was mild).
I'm going to share this with my oldest daughter because she lives in CA and her husband was born with a heart condition and we're a little worried for him.
Sure. Everyone is different. Most who who had exposure to major viral diseases are immune for life. Most vaccinated are. However, some lose their immunity over time and could use a booster. Healthcare workers get tested out of an abundance of caution.

I'm pretty sure when I got the MMR shot it was only once and no standard booster. My kid's vaccination schedule calls for a booster.

Yet another reminder I need to check with my doctor. I haven't had any vaccinations since I was a child, with the exception of a tetanus shot when I was 14 and a meningitis vaccine when I was 17 (required before moving into the dorms).

Measles can be spread fairly quickly, as it can be spread through sneezing and coughing and can live in the air and on surfaces for up to two hours.

Per the CDC, "Measles is so contagious that if one person has it, 90% of the people close to that person who are not immune will also become infected."

Yet another reminder I need to check with my doctor. I haven't had any vaccinations since I was a child, with the exception of a tetanus shot when I was 14 and a meningitis vaccine when I was 17 (required before moving into the dorms).

Measles can be spread fairly quickly, as it can be spread through sneezing and coughing and can live in the air and on surfaces for up to two hours.

Per the CDC, "Measles is so contagious that if one person has it, 90% of the people close to that person who are not immune will also become infected."
Sarah, Sarah, Sarah. Get your tetanus shot now. You should be getting that one every 10 years.

I'm 99% sure I had the measles since I was born in '55 and the youngest of 6 kids. I'm sure one of my siblings brought it home to me. :p

I recently found a book my mom used to keep track of all the illnesses / vaccinations we kids had. I'll should go back and see when I had them.

I got the whooping cough booster shot about 3 years ago at my daughter's request before I went out to meet my first grandchild.

Here in Texas all children that attend public schools have to get all kinds of required shots before starting school and boosters every so often before the start of the school year! Texas however leads the Country in un- insured people and a majority of adults, especially undocumented immigrant people have not had any kind of medical care in the past or @ all!

Someone mentioned Chicken Pox and since this thread is talking about getting shots, let me urge everyone who has had Chicken Pox to get a Shingles Shot!

Trust me, you don't want to have an outbreak of Shingles, its more painful than a kidney stone!!!!

I am a biologist and also a bit of a germophobe, and I have an appointment early next week to get my titers checked (despite having been revaccinated at 21). And get revaccinated if I am showing low immunity.

Measles is crazy contagious, and people's immunity can wear off. I figured this would happen eventually, someone would get on a plane/train/bus who had measles but was still asymptomatic.

I will avoid going into my rant about those who refuse to vaccinate.

(Also with the tetanus booster: people who are avid gardeners or otherwise work with soil a lot may need boosters every five years. I know this because I work with soil as part of my "gig" as an academic ecologist)

Someone mentioned Chicken Pox and since this thread is talking about getting shots, let me urge everyone who has had Chicken Pox to get a Shingles Shot!

Trust me, you don't want to have an outbreak of Shingles, its more painful than a kidney stone!!!!
I plan to get it at the end of the year when, hopefully, insurance will cover the cost. It ain't cheap.

Sarah, Sarah, Sarah. Get your tetanus shot now. You should be getting that one every 10 years.

I'm 99% sure I had the measles since I was born in '55 and the youngest of 6 kids. I'm sure one of my siblings brought it home to me. :p

I recently found a book my mom used to keep track of all the illnesses / vaccinations we kids had. I'll should go back and see when I had them.

I got the whooping cough booster shot about 3 years ago at my daughter's request before I went out to meet my first grandchild.
I already have an appointment to get my Tdap. :)

My baby book confirms I got my MMR series. Apparently, I had rubella when I was five months old. (I was too young to get the MMR.)

Like your daughter, I had the chickenpox twice. I think I'm too young for the shingles vaccine, though. Most of the literature I've seen recommends it for people over 60.

Like your daughter, I had the chickenpox twice. I think I'm too young for the shingles vaccine, though. Most of the literature I've seen recommends it for people over 60.
Which is why I'm waiting till the end of this year.

I think my oldest sister had the shingles when she was in her 50's.

Shingles usually strikes people over 40 ( the New 30!! ) but it can happen to anyone, check with your doctor, trust me it may be expensive if you don't have insurance but when it happens you'd pay any amount not to have it again!!!

Shingles usually strikes people over 40 ( the New 30!! ) but it can happen to anyone, check with your doctor, trust me it may be expensive if you don't have insurance but when it happens you'd pay any amount not to have it again!!!
I have insurance, but it won't pay till I'm 60. It would cost me over $200 to get the shot now. I'd rather spend, and I just did, that on AGR points. :p

I'm not downplaying how bad shingles are, but I'm willing to take the risk.

I have insurance, but it won't pay till I'm 60. It would cost me over $200 to get the shot now. I'd rather spend, and I just did, that on AGR points. :p

I'm not downplaying how bad shingles are, but I'm willing to take the risk.
This is the case for most insurance carriers. (My mom wound up having to pay for most of hers despite being over 60, because of some kind of foul-up, but she figured that was better than getting shingles)

I was also told - no idea if this is correct or not - that it wasn't "medically advisable" for an under-50 (that's me) to have it....because of immune system reasons, I was led to believe.

But you can bet I'm getting the shot as soon as I'm eligible.

My doctor requested a blood test which came out positive. Got the shingles vaccination! I was over 60 so it was covered.

My parents made sure I got all my shots. I remember being in the pediatricians office both arms were jabbed multiple times. Polio was the fun one! It was those sweet candy like liquid.

I just don't understand the parents who refuse to vaccinate. I mean many of these vaccine preventable disease can lead to other diseases down the line. Usually after they are dead and their kids are old with their own families. Say whatever about the blah blah chemicals etc in the vaccine but chemo therapy and radiation treatment or lifetime drug treatment later on in life is NOT a better tradeoff.

HPV -> Cervical Cancer

Hepatits -> Liver Cancer

Mumps -> Sterility

Chicken Pox -> Shingles

etc. etc.

The shingles vaccination is recomended for between 60 to 69 because that is the age range when people usually get Shingles. It is not recommend for younger people because the effectivness decreases whithin five years. The effectiveness beyond 5 years is unknown. So if you get the shot at 40, 50, or 55 you might not be protected at the ages that you need the protection.

I was too old for the HPV vaccine when it came out. I still can't find any literature that explains WHY it isn't given after age 26. I read that Merck planned to submit data to the FDA showing the vaccine's efficacy through age 45, but then the trail goes cold.

My late wife didn't take the HPV vaccine in Canada, but got it when she came to the US, and she was over 30!!

( Unfortunately she developed Breast Cancer, fought it for 5 years, and passed away!)

The shingles vaccination is recomended for between 60 to 69 because that is the age range when people usually get Shingles. It is not recommend for younger people because the effectivness decreases whithin five years. The effectiveness beyond 5 years is unknown. So if you get the shot at 40, 50, or 55 you might not be protected at the ages that you need the protection.
I meant to say it is not recommended for younger people as strongly as 60 to 65 because the effectiveness decreases over time from getting the shot. I don't mean imply people should not get it under age 60. Some might want to get it in their 50's. But I don't think at younger than 50. Also there might be a booster needed after 10 years. That is unknown at this time.

Also the shot is not 100 per cent effective but if you do get Shingles after the shot it will likely be a lessor case. Also anyone getting a rash should see a doctor right away as they can give you a viral injection to mitigate the symptoms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back