Grand Canyon by Amtrak?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A lady friend on the east coast said today she'd like to visit the GrandCanyon but she and her husband don't like to fly.

Has anyone here gone via Amtrak?

Would it be Amtrak to Flagstaff and then a bus?

Thanks

Greatcats here in Flagstaff. Of course you can get here by Amtrak enroute to Grand Canyon. However, bear in mind that the train arrives from the east in Flagstaff late in the evening, so an overnight stay is required in Flagstaff or Williams before venturing to GC. Even if you arranged to have a rental car waiting for you in Flagstaff, it is not a great idea for a newcomer to drive up to Grand Canyon at night. ( Elk looking at you with big beady eyes can be unnerving....) Please private message me if you have more questions. I have used the Southwest Chief numerous times, and while I have some reservations about the current level of service, it is still an exciting adventure to cross the country by train. One other thing, in addition to the Grand Canyon Railway train from Williams, the Arizona Shuttle runs daily service from Flagstaff and Williams to Grand Canyon.

We took the SWC to Flagstaff about 2 years ago. Stayed the night and had a rental car in the morning to drive up to the Grand Canyon. Worked out well for us. I didn't know there was a bus, but that could have worked too.

We did this for our honeymoon many years ago. Took the SWC to Flagstaff, and even with a 5 hour delay (we called the car rental place) got our rental car and supplies and headed up in the middle of the night. BEAUTIFUL ride with the full moon.

Several years ago My Father and I took the SWC to Williams Junction. We hoped on the bus for a short 10 minute ride to the hotel. Nice hotel as well. Friendly staff. I can recommend this way to the canyon.

Next fall I'm planning a trip to the Grand Canyon.

I'll take the Southwest Chief to Williams Junction (WMJ).

I'll get a 2 night Grand Canyon Railway & Hotel package deal. http://www.thetrain.com/

The Grand Canyon Railway hotel is right there at the Amtrak station.

Last edited by a moderator:
KmH - Sorry to be a nitpicker, but the Williams arrangement is kind of confusing. In effect, the lobby of the Grand Canyon Railway Hotel is the Amtrak station and waiting room, and a pretty nice one at that. It is next to the old Santa Fe station from which the Grand Canyon Railway train departs to Grand Canyon. That station is located on what is now the branch line ( " Peavine " ) to Phoenix. The Amtrak train does NOT stop there. Amtrak passengers are transported by the staff of Grand Canyon Railway Hotel by van or bus about three miles out to Williams Junction, which is down an obscure, spooky forest road. There is a platform with lights out there, but nothing else. The van or bus is the waiting room out at the Junction. Some people think they are being kidnapped!

Excellent point about the Williams Junction stop Eric! The first time I rode the SWC from CHI- LAX there were some folks getting off to go to the Canyon and the place the Train stopped was pitch dark!

The Van was late for whatever reason, and the folks getting off asked the Conductor if he was sure this was their stop??!! About five minutes later the van drove up,the lights were turned on and they detrained and then we rolled out heading West!

I heard lots of people in the Lounge talking about this after we left, and I remarked that I would probably get off in Flagstaff if it was me!

I might ad...when we returned to LA, #3 was somewhat late (no surprise). The GCRY Hotel was in contact with Amtrak and was advised of the departure time from Flagstaff to better estimate when to take my wife and I (we were the only passengers) out to the platform. Even with that, the driver and I stood out on the platform in the low-teen evening air and watched two westbound freights blow through Williams Junction before the SWC arrived. My wife stayed in the warmth of the van. Our sleeper was spotted at the (small) platform and we were greeted by the conductor as we boarded.

Here are several shots of the platform...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/frensicpic/6784745035/in/set-72157628564598253

https://www.flickr.com/photos/frensicpic/6784743919/in/set-72157628564598253/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/frensicpic/6784106341/in/set-72157628564598253/

Arizona Shuttle has two round trips Flagstaff/Grand Canyon (3 in summer) that leave from the Amtrak station. Both ways require overnight stay in Flagstaff to connect with SWC from/to east. Schedules and fares on Arizona Shuttle website. Amtrak lists schedules in timetables, but does not sell tickets.

COOL! Even more adventurous than I thought!

I'll have to prepare some spook stories to tell while we wait for the van from the hotel.

"Y'all know we gotta keep our eyes and ears peeled for the Williams Junction Renegade don't you.

The Renegade snatches 3 or 4 train passengers off this platform every year, but the Renegade only every takes 1 at a time and never leaves a trace.

Man!

I wish the lights were on!

The local sheriff doesn't like coming out here.

What was that noise?

OMG!

Is everyone still here?

Aarrgggggg!"

Very humorous. The last time I took the train from Williams in may, 2013 ( I live in Flagstaff, but the hotel in Williams is a good place to leave a car ) it was very early in the morning. There was only one other passenger in the van and the driver turned off the platform lights so we could enjoy the starry sky from among the Ponderosa pines. ( Those trees are one of the reasons I chose to live in northern Arizona! )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back