Towns the CZ goes through.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KmH

Engineer
Here is a list of some of the towns the CZ goes through.

Compiled from - Railroads of North America map.

[SIZE=14pt]California Zephyr[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]CZ stops[/SIZE]

ILLINOIS …………………………….

Chicago (CHI) (CZ roughly follows US - 34 to Denver, CO)

Cicero

Berwyn

Riverside

Brookfield

LeGrange

Western Springs

Hinsdale

Clarendon Hills

Westmont

Downers Grove

Lisle

Naperville (NPV)

Aurora

Montgomery

Plano

Sandwich

Somonauk

Leland

Earlville

Mendota

Arlington

Malden

Princeton (PCT)

Wyanet

Buda

Neponset

Kewanee

Galva

Altona

Oneida

Wataga

Galesburg (GBB)

Cameron

Monmouth

Kirkwood

Biggsville

Gladstone

IOWA …………………………………

Burlington (BRL)

West Burlington

Middletown

Danville

New London

Mount Pleasant (MTP)

Rome

Lockridge

Fairfield

Batavia

Agency

Ottumwa (OTM)

Albia

Melrose

Russell

Chariton

Lucas

Woodburn

Osceola (OSC)

Murray

Thayer

Afton

Creston (CRN)

Cromwell

Prescott

Corning

Nodaway

Villisca

Stanton

Red Oak

Emerson

Malvern

Glenwood

Pacific Junction

NEBRASKA …………………………

Plattsmouth

Omaha (OMA)

Ralston

Chalco

Gretna

Ashland

Greenwood

Waverly

Lincoln (LNK)

Denton

Crete

Dorchester

Friend

Exeter

Fairmont

Sutton

Harvard

Hastings (HAS)

Juniata

Kenesaw

Heartwell

Minden

Holdrege (HLD)

Oxford

Arapahoe

Holbrook

Cambridge

Bartley

Indianola

McCook (MCK)

Culbertson

Trenton

Stratton

Max

Benkelman

Haigler

COLORADO ………………………..

Laird

Wray

Eckley

Yuma

Otis

Akron

Brush (CZ follows I-76)

Ft. Morgan (FMG)

Wiggins

Roggen

Keensburg

Hudsen

Lochbuie

Brighton

Commerce City

Denver (DEN)

Arvada (CZ leaves major roads.)

(Big Ten Curve)

Pinecliff

Rollinsville

(Moffet Tunnel)

Winter Park (CZ follows US-40)

Fraser (WIP)

Tabernash

Granby (GRA)

Hot Sulphur Springs

Parshall

Kremmling (CZ leaves major roads)

Bond

Burns

Dotsero (CZ follows I-70)

Glenwood Springs (GSC)

New Castle

Silt

Rifle

Parachute

De Beque

Palisades

Clifton

Fruitvale

Grand Junction (GJT)

Fruita

Loma

Mack

UTAH ………………………………

Cisco

Thompson

Green River (GRI)(CZ follows US-6)

Wellington

Price

Carbonville

Spring Glen

Helper (HER)

Castle Gate

(Gilluly Loops - just west of Soldier Summit)

Spanish Fork (CZ follows I-15)

Springville

Provo (PRO)

Lakeview

Sunset Heights

American Fork

Lehi

Draper

Sandy

Midvale

Murray

Salt Lake City (SLC) (CZ follows I-80 to end of route at EMY)

Wendover

NEVADA …………………………….

(Arnold's loop)

Wells

Deeth

Elko (ELK)

Carlin

Beowawe

Battle Mountain (west bound only)

Winnemucca (WNN)

Lovelock

Hazen

Fernley

Sparks

Reno (RNO)

Verdi

CALIFORNIA ……………………….

Truckee (TRU)

Soda Springs

Emigrant Gap

Alta

Gold Run

Cape Horn

Colfax (COX)

Weimar

Applegate

Auburn

New Castle

Rocklin

Roseville (RSV)

North Highlands

McClellan Park

Sacramento (SAC)

West Sacramento

Davis (DAV)

Dixon

Elmira

Fairfield

Martinez (MTZ)

Crocket

Rodeo Creek

Hercules

Pinole

San Pablo

Richmond

Albany

Berkeley

Emeryville (EMY)

Last edited by a moderator:
I usually brings my railroad passenger timetables from the 40s or 50s that show all the local stations because in those days most railroads had mail and express passenger trains that made or were flagged at all stations.

Not being too train centric but doesn’t the highway follow the CZ route?

(I 80 follows CZ route)

In a historic perspective this would also hold true

I usually brings my railroad passenger timetables from the 40s or 50s that show all the local stations because in those days most railroads had mail and express passenger trains that made or were flagged at all stations.
also a copy of the "Official Guide of Railways" can give details on all the routes Amtrak serves, ones from the mid 60's, which are usually cheap to buy and still have the details might be a good "traveling with" option. Old Employee timetables both paper ones and ones available on the web can give a detailed perspective not available on the Amtrak public timetables, such as siding, junctions, and lots more.

Now we need an intrepid photographer to take a picture of every one of the towns from the Zephyr as the train goes through. I'd volunteer, but there aren't enough years left in me for that.

Now we need an intrepid photographer to take a picture of every one of the towns from the Zephyr as the train goes through. I'd volunteer, but there aren't enough years left in me for that.
Then "Google (Earth) is your friend"... :)

Slight correction's to the OP.....between Huds(O)n and Commerce City, the CZ does not pass thru Brighton, Colorado......that is on the old SFZ route between Denver and Cheyenne on the UP.....the current CZ route crosses that line at Sand Creek Junction......

The CZ does meet up with US-34 again, where US-34 ends at its junction with US-40 at Granby......US-34 becomes the very scenic "Trail Ridge Road" across Rocky Mountain National Park (the road is closed in the winter thru there).

Slight correction's to the OP.....between Huds(O)n and Commerce City, the CZ does not pass thru Brighton, Colorado......that is on the old SFZ route between Denver and Cheyenne on the UP.....the current CZ route crosses that line at Sand Creek Junction......

The CZ does meet up with US-34 again, where US-34 ends at its junction with US-40 at Granby......US-34 becomes the very scenic "Trail Ridge Road" across Rocky Mountain National Park (the road is closed in the winter thru there).

The Google map I used shows the tracks going through that part of Brighton where the Staples fulfillment warehouse is, past Barr Lake, and where the tracks cross E-470.

I have added US-40 from Winter Park to Kremmling.

While I have noted a couple of railfan/notable things (Big 10 Curve, Moffet Tunnel) I wonder if there are other 'attractions' worth mentioning like trestles, bridges.

I know there is a keyhole type curve between Wendover and Wells, NV but I can't remember it's name, and that part of the route is generally done in the wee morning hours.

The keyhole curve is called Arnold's Loop. Partially visible from I-80 just east of Silver Zone Pass. Ontime CZs go thru in pitch dark. VERY late CZs can traverse the Loop in daylight.

Ruby Canyon in western Colo/eastern Utah is especially scenic, with winter being the best time.

Sounds like what the OP needs, is a copy of the "Vista-Dome Views" brochure that they handed out on the original Burlington-Rio Grande-Western Pacific CZ....

It showed a route map, with illustrations, mileposts, current schedules and minutes from nearby stations to scenic points-of-interest....It listed major river and creek crossings, and other scenic highlights...http://calzephyr.railfan.net/pmvdv-4952-front.jpg

I don't want to add scenic things like Ruby Canyon and river crossings to the list of towns, just rail stuff.

Thanks for the "Vista-Dome Views" brochure info. I just ordered a copy on eBay.

Foothill Farms and McClellan Park, CA are not towns per se at all but unincorporated areas of Sacramento County.

Enjoy the brochure, when you get it!

If its mostly railroad details you seek, then follow the earlier advice from illinoisandy.....obtain some employee operating timetables from the roads the CZ traversed...

Foothill Farms and McClellan Park, CA are not towns per se at all but unincorporated areas of Sacramento County.
Well yeah.

I not sure that's a distinction that necessarily matters for this purpose. A lot of people refer to place names as "towns" even if there is no city government.

Two schools shown in Foothills Farms have Sacramento addresses shown using the Google Railroads of North America map, so Foothill Farms is off the list.

North Highlands gets on the list because there are North Highland addresses on both sides of the track.

McClelland Park also has addresses close to the tracks so it stays on the list.

Anyone else wanting to is welcome to nitpick the list. Sheesh! :giggle:

Does anyone actually live in Cisco, UT? There are photos that call it a ghost town - https://www.google.com/maps/place/Cisco,+UT+84540/@38.9699847,-109.3206722,2039m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x8747ccfaea073639:0x5df6e0145d2ca8a5

Hazen, NV ain't much bigger, but at least from satellite photos it looks like people live there.

You could add West Sacramento between Sacramento and Davis. The city has its own place in Amtrak lore after an engineer was attacked to the tune of a $5.6 million judgment against Amtrak and Vacaville between Elmira and Fairfield/Suisun City and Benicia between Fairfield/Suisun City and Martinez.

*runs**ducks**hides* :giggle:

What if we were to build or own train guide (thinking of USA by Rail for example)

people could contribute data, (mileage, GPS coordinates, maps photos,

we could build an "AU Users Guide to the CZ" and any other route we wanted

this platform might not be the best, but we could use something like Google Blogspot

one person could volunteer to coordinate incorporating the data others would provide,,,,,

I know it is crazy, but my sanity is often questioned,,,,,,,

Sounds good.

Holler when you get it going. lol

You could add West Sacramento between Sacramento and Davis. The city has its own place in Amtrak lore after an engineer was attacked to the tune of a $5.6 million judgment against Amtrak and Vacaville between Elmira and Fairfield/Suisun City and Benicia between Fairfield/Suisun City and Martinez.

*runs**ducks**hides* :giggle:
Ah!

Well.

I see West Sacramento addresses on both sides of the tracks so - added.

In Nevada, I also forgot to add Battle Mountain, Palisades, and Beowawe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back