Texas Eagle Opinions Wanted

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RobTrav

In the past four years, I've enjoyed traveling on all the major Amtrak routes west of Chicago with the exception of the Texas Eagle. I'm planning a winter trip to Southern California and am considering the Eagle.

I could take the Southwest Chief for the quickest way or The California Zephyr/Coast Starlight for the great scenery. But I've done those routes and would like to try something different.

The Texas Eagle is a long ride, which is fine, but I'm not sure if the scenery is that great.

I'd welcome opinions from those of you who have taken these routes.

Thanks in advance,

Rob

The Texas Eagle is a nice change of pace offering a different variety of scenery and giving you 3 Train Nights assuming you do the Full Pull CHI-LAX (though part of night 2 is "on the ground" as SAS but you do not have to leave the train if you are booked through). And it is failry good about staying on time with the Sunset Limited/Texas Eagle usually pulling into LAX early.

I rode the Sunset Limited from Southern California to New Orleans so covered the area the Texas Eagle covers from San Antonio to LA. Scenery to me is not the best on that trip. Desert in AZ and NM and well...Texas in Texas. Not horrible but just not that interesting. I don't know what the scenery is like from Chicago to San Antonio. That might be very interesting.

Dan

PS I have lived and traveled in the Southwest for much of my life so I know what I like in SW scenery. Maybe I am too picky in that regard.

I've never done the Chief east of ABQ but, I've done the Eagle LA to Temple TX twice. Cant comment on the route between Texas and Chicago but, I did enjoy the scenery and riding through western Texas, New Mexico and eastern Arizona. Probably not as "scenic" as other routes but, I wouldn't hesitate doing the Eagle again. In Fact, I've already booked a 2-zone bedroom points redemption for next year traveling on the Eagle from LA to Chicago with the return the return on the Chief.

I'm fine with "non-spectacular" scenery - what you like is up to you. If you've traveled the other routes, go ahead and experience a different route and take the Eagle.

I would do it simply for completion's sake, meaning you can say you've been on every western route. :)

For me the highlights of the TX Eagle trip are the St. Louis arch, Dallas/Fort Worth (esp. Dealey Plaza), El Paso and the Mexican border, and the Salton Sea in CA. It's a long trip with lowish grade scenery. I have traveled the Zephyr half a dozen times and hope for a half dozen more!

The other posters pretty much covered the Eagle/Sunset Route. If you have the time and just want to relax and take it easyon a LD Train this is the one to the take!

Even though the Eagle is an orphan train and gets the oldest equipment most of the OBS and T&E Crew have Seniority and are professional and make the ride enjoyable!

Also surprisingly, even though we now have a standard National Menu with Limited Choices, the chefs generally take pride in their jobs and turn out tasty meals! I just had the best steak I've ever had on a Amtrak Train aboard the Eagle between SPI and Austin.

This route has become very popular and most days the Sleepers are Sold Out ( #421/#422 only run 3 days a week between CHI and LAX) so using amsnag.net is a good idea to get a good fare if paying for the trip!

I have found it enjoyable the three times I took it end to end.Ya got the desert,wide open country,the heartland of America.Beautiful sunrises and sunsets in the desert and Texas never does end:)Plus you have a lot of train time.

One more day on the train is a great reason to take The Eagle. Going Eastbound,I enjoy waking up in the desert of Arizona, the proximity to the Mexican border in El Paso, the small towns in Texas, the coupling of the trains and the overnight in San Antonio, the Dallas skyline and the St louis Arch, plus you get in early to Chicago, so there is little chance of a missed Eastern connection. It's nice taking it from end to end. I remember taking The Sunset Limited all the way from LA to Fort Lauderdale back in the day..

So far, I have only made one trip aboard the Texas Eagle. But, it was easily my most positive experience on Amtrak. On the trip out, Toni Westfield was my SCA. Outstanding service, great personality -- he really went out of his way to make my trip enjoyable. I have only positive things to say about the crew of the diner, too.

For the most part, I didn't find the scenery to be outstanding. But, St. Louis and Dallas were quite impressive.

If you're going round trip by train, I think I would go out on the Southwest Chief (not sure how much longer the traditional route over Raton Pass is going to last) and return using the Sunset/Eagle.

The predawn arrival in LAX of the westbound Sunset dosn't appeal much to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back