Three Sleepers on California Zephyr

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Agent

Conductor
As of yesterday (or possibly Thursday; I didn't catch #5 that day) the California Zephyr is in its summer consist with three coaches and three sleepers on the rear. Video of Amtrak #5(16) is below. Compare with yesterday's #6(14) which was still in the winter consist of two coaches and two sleepers.

So, I have this question: Is the sleeping car on the end being dropped off at the reopened Denver Union Station? I heard they used to do that before they moved to the temporary station.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes the third sleeper will run from Chicago to Denver and back.

I was on the Zephyr this past Friday , May the 16th , and Amtrak had sold rooms in car 633. The problem was the train did not have a car 633.

So where did the folks assigned to the 33 car sleep?

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

I was on the Zephyr this past Friday , May the 16th , and Amtrak had sold rooms in car 633. The problem was the train did not have a car 633.
We rode in the 633 car last year and the car went all the way on the route. We were going from CHI to SLC and did not switch cars in Denver. Perhaps this is a new plan, but the 633 car has been used in the past beyond Denver.

We rode in the 633 car last year and the car went all the way on the route. We were going from CHI to SLC and did not switch cars in Denver. Perhaps this is a new plan, but the 633 car has been used in the past beyond Denver.
Bill, last year with DUS under construction they weren't able to drop the 33 car in Denver as they traditionally do. It's possible they may send it all the way again this year, but I'd be willing to guess they'll revert to dropping/adding it in Denver.

Is Stephanie Utt still working the Zephyr Sleeper? She is one of the best Attendants Amtrak has!
She was in February - and she made our travel experience wonderful!

The passengers that had a ticket for the 633 sleeper were mostly moved to the crew sleeper with one of them placed in 632.

The reason for the booking problem was that 633 was suppose to be on the train, but Amtrak wanted the sleeper attends for 631 and 632 to cover 633 and they had refused. Amtrak was forced to staff 633 before they added it to the train.

I do not understand how one person can staff a sleeper, each has 80 beds, and not be a raving nut case after more that two days of almost no sleep. Can you image trying to work 2 sleepers, 160 beds, with people getting on and off. How did Amtrak expect one person to be in two cars at the same time?

The passengers that had a ticket for the 633 sleeper were mostly moved to the crew sleeper with one of them placed in 632.

The reason for the booking problem was that 633 was suppose to be on the train, but Amtrak wanted the sleeper attends for 631 and 632 to cover 633 and they had refused. Amtrak was forced to staff 633 before they added it to the train.

I do not understand how one person can staff a sleeper, each has 80 beds, and not be a raving nut case after more that two days of almost no sleep. Can you image trying to work 2 sleepers, 160 beds, with people getting on and off. How did Amtrak expect one person to be in two cars at the same time?
Superliner sleeper:
5 Bedrooms - 10 beds

14 Roomettes - 28 beds

1 Family Room - 4 beds

1 Assessable Room - 2 beds

Total beds - 44, and rarely will all beds in all rooms be occupied.

In addition, roomette #1 is non-revenue (for the sleeper attendant).

C&O does have a point, though; back in the Pullman days a 10 section, compartment, drawing-room sleeper (25 beds) or a 10-6 all-room sleeper (22 beds) was considered a full workload for a porter. Of course, they were also expected to shine all of the passengers' shoes....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back