14-28 connection in June?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

D.P. Roberts

Conductor
I've been avidly following the "EB Mess" thread, as I have a trip planned for the CS-EB this summer, CHI-LAX round trip in a roomette. Here's my dilemma, and I'm hoping some more experienced AUers can give me some advice.

On our westbound trip from Chicago to Los Angeles (27-11), I took advantage of the "overnight at my own expense" exception (AGR reward) and will be overnighting in Portland before taking the southbound Coast Starlight the next day, so I'm not terribly concerned about any lateness in the EB on that leg.

However, on our return trip we're booked 14-28. That used to be a same day connection with a window of approximately 4 hours. Unfortunately, with the new EB schedule that has 28 departing about 4 hours earlier, that connection can no longer be made. Amtrak has not contacted me about this, presumably because the new schedule is temporary and only goes through the end of May, while my trip is in June.

So, I have two options:

1) Wait to see if the schedule change stays in place. If it doesn't, then I'm okay. If it does, I can allow Amtrak to re-book me on the SWC or another route. The problem with this is that if Amtrak waits until late May to change the June schedules, the sleepers on the alternate routes may be all booked up.

2) Call Amtrak now and re-book on the SWC. Problem solved, but I'd really prefer the current CS-EB route (better scenery, more train time), and I don't want to cancel if I don't have to.

So if I decide to wait and see if Amtrak does cancel on me, is the SWC the only route they would consider? What happens if the SWC runs out of roomettes - would they just cancel my trip altogether, or consider moving one of the two legs of my existing trip & putting me up in a hotel in PDX, or work out some route on the CZ? On any of these routes, is there a chance Amtrak would move me to an available bedroom or coach (even though it's an AGR trip) if there are no roomettes available?

I really have no idea what Amtrak will do. Any help will be appreciated!

Since you're going to be in LAX there is also the Sunset Ltd/Texas Eagle option from LAX to CHI on the 3 days a week Schedule it runs!

Since you'd have to overnite in Emeryville (on your own dime!) AGR probably wouldn't OK the CS-CZ route!

Other members have also been OKd for riding the CS and EB to Seattle and spending a night on their own dime, I'd take this option over the Sunset option!

Since June is peak travel season, all of the western trains book up quickly. I wouldn't wait. Call AGR now and see what's available. I talked to some Amtrak employees in PDX, and they think it's unlikely that 14-28 connections will be restored any time soon.

If you prefer the EB route, you have two choices: overnight in PDX and catch 28 the next day, or overnight in SEA and catch 8 the next day. Both cities are worth spending a day in, and both 28 and 8 will have some beautiful scenery...which you'll get to see more of in daylight than ever before (assuming the schedule change gets extended)!

Edit: I see you are already scheduled to overnight in PDX on your westbound journey, so you may want to go for SEA on the return.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wanted to take 14-28 in June but with all the mess I am just going the other way. SEA-PDX on the Cascades and then CS-TE.... almost 5 days on the train and the Cascades seeing that I will probably never get to that corridor again, I am happy. Now to see if I make my connection in LAX.

I think you guys are probably right. I'd probably be better off being proactive rather than waiting to see what Amtrak does.

I think I'd prefer the Seattle route, but it does eat into another travel day and another hotel, on a trip that already has a lot of travel days & hotels.

I'm still thinking about that, but what about the SWC vs TE? I've taken the SWC westbound, but not eastbound, so the scenery might be a little different. I know a lot of people like the SWC, but it wasn't my favorite train. I've never taken the TE - is it more of the same scenery that I've seen on the SWC? I've never really researched the TE, but my general impression is that a lot of people don't like the crews, the scenery, the equipment, or really anything about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since you've done the SWC and want to not add days or hotel expense to your trip and haven't done the Sunset/Texas Eagle Route (#422) I'd say give it a try! It is Superliner Equipped, has very experienced crew (LAX based as far as SAS) and the Diner has always served good meals on the many trips I've taken!

This route does have lots of Desert Scenery(LAX-MCA is in the dark) but its more train time and the Tuscon Area, El Paso, Austin, FTW-DFW Area and St. Louis in the morning are worth seeing! Remember to book #422 and that the Sleeper and Coach for CHI will be switched out in SAS for the Daylight run to the Texas/Arkansas Border! I think everyone should ride this Historic Route once, its worth it !

I've done the SL/TE twice, LA to Temple, TX and return, and have enjoyed each one. Great service from the SCAs in the 421/422 sleepers. Next year, I'm planning, and looking forward to, LA to Chicago via the TE. For the return, I'm hoping to "sightsee" back via PDX on 27/11 and am watching developments carefully regarding this connection. This entire trip will be a 2 zone AGR bedroom redemption. The return is two zones regardless of the route (might as well maximize it). The alternate return will be via the SWC which, so far, I've only experienced LAX to ABQ portion.

Since you will have seen the "Coast" section of the CS going southbound, you could take the 1:45AM bus from LAX to Bakersfield connecting to the San Joaquin to Stockton and the shorter bus to Sacramento arriving at 10:10AM which is about an hour before the CZ gets to Sacramento.

Take the CZ to get back to CHI. The scenery in Utah and Colorado is just as good or better than western Montana IMO.

On the San Joaquin you get a couple hours to see the central valley of California.

I don't think I will ride the EB again until the schedule is fixed and OTP improves.

My trips from central Oregon to points east will be CS to SAC with a 4+ hour layover and the CZ east shortly after 11AM.

I would agree with Jim and others who favor the Texas Eagle route. If you have never been on it, it is worth the ride.

But eastbound on the SWC is also a pleasant run and with all the possible changes in route, you might want to ride it again before it is changed to the Transcom Route.

We are doing SWC in early summer for that reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back