New Motorcoaches for Amtrak California Thruway Routes

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rickycourtney

Conductor
There has been a major investment in new motorcoaches used on Amtrak California Thruway routes. 10 new Van Hool buses went into service earlier this year (I did a trip report here) now it seems that there are several new MCI D4505 motor coaches on the Bakersfield to Southern California routes.

The buses are being painted with the Amtrak California livery of dark blue and orange and each new bus has WiFi and 2 power outlets for each seat pair. That's a nice feature for people who want to keep using their electronics after they step off the train.

The seats on these new MCI buses all have seat belts and they recline and are really comfortable. But unlike the Van Hool seats there's no tray table and no center armrest (which is nice to have when you share seats with a stranger.)

Another nice feature: the buses have electronic head signs that should clear up some confusion at the bus transfer area in Bakersfield.

First trip (BFD-Santa Clarita)
This bus hadn't been fully prepared for service (WiFi and power outlets weren't working yet, and the electronic headsign hadn't been installed.)
IMG_0075.jpg

IMG_0087.jpg

IMG_0133.jpg
A nice feature: 2 sets of "club seating" where 4 seats surround a small table (2 people seated backwards). These are really popular with families with small kids and other groups traveling together.

IMG_0072.jpg

Second trip (Santa Clarita-BFD)
While this bus wasn't painted yet it had been prepared for service and WiFi and power outlets were up and running. The WiFi worked incredibly well reaching 26 Mbps on flat land and kept working at reduced speeds as we went over a mountain pass.
IMG_0153.jpg

IMG_0115.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the photos. I think that was the motor coach I was on from

San Francisco Ferry Terminal to Santa Barbara. It was comfortable with

WiFi, power outlets and restroom.

Nice shots....is that the trip number on the lighted destination sign? Neat idea......

Those Spotted Dog seats seem to be quite common on Motorcoaches anymore. I guess they coverup any spots added by pax :)
Dark colored seats with "busy" patterns are popular with all bus operators (transit and motorcoach). They are good at hiding dirt and it discourages vandalism... because it would be hard to see any graffiti that put onto fabric. (Not that I've ever seen graffiti on any Amtrak California thruway motorcoach!)

Nice shots....is that the trip number on the lighted destination sign? Neat idea......
Yes. That sign said "5917" "BAKERSFIELD" "via VAN NUYS". The trip number matches what is printed on your eTicket.

It really is a great idea when you consider it can be rather overwhelming for first time passengers when they step off the train and see 6 nearly identical buses.

I'm a pretty seasoned rider on the San Joaquin and was a bit confused this weekend... because they put up new signs at the bus station at Bakersfield. My normal bus used to leave out of bay #3... now it's bay #6. Having the electronic sign was nice and helped clear up any confusion.

Personally, I think the seats could use some wider headrests. The narrow headrests are horrors for any trip of length.
I honestly didn't mind the size of these headrests. They actually have a curve to them that cradled my head during the short nap I took on one of the legs. But I didn't take a long of a trip (1 hr, 45 min).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back