Sunset Limited and Texas Eagle: switching cars between trains

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see the question of what happen in San Antonio come up rather frequently here. I have contributed responses but, on my recently completed round trip from Los Angeles to Temple, TX via San Antonio on train #422, I paid particular attention to the operations that took place in San Antonio. I hope this is useful.

I will use geographical (compass) directions, not railroad directions. I am providing this description based on my observations from the 2130/2230 sleeper during two round trips (422/421) through the area. Listening to the radio chatter on the scanner provided information as well. I do not have specific, detailed railroad or other knowledge of the area. With that, I am using geographical or compass directions versus railroad directions. If you have (constructive) input to this, please do so – without being snippy about it! I know that things may be different from time to time. Thanks.

When trains enter the depot area, they are switched from the main to station Track 3 and to AAR Channel 22 - 160.440 MHz to communicate with the Amtrak “yard” crew. The Amtrak yard crew (engineer, conductor, and mechanical) handles the switching of the cars may refer to the movements as the “Amtrak Yard Job”. From what I could see, the Sunset Limited typically ends up on Track 2 and the Texas Eagle on Track 3.

SAS STATION TRACK LAYOUT:

Reviewing a Google map/satellite view might be helpful to follow this description. At SAS, the tracks run geographically north-south. The station building is on the west side of the tracks. Going west to east the station tracks are numbered 1, 2 and 3 with main tracks 1 and 2 of the Del Rio Subdivision east of the station tracks. The station itself is located between E. Commerce Street, to the north and Montana Street to the south.

Station track #1 is a stub with the switch on the north end connecting to track #2 at about Center Street. It is this track where the SP 794 steam loco is on display at the north end of the depot just south of E. Commerce Street. Track 1 joins track 2 at a switch just north of Center Street.

Station track #2 is a siding off track #3 with a switch at each end. The south end is between Montana and Dakota Streets and the north end between Center and E. Crockett Streets.

Track #3 is a siding off Main 1 with a switch at each end. The south end is at Dakota Street and continues north with a crossover to Main 1 just north of E. Crockett Street.

EASTBOUND SUNSET LIMITED #2 and NORTHBOUND TEXAS EAGLE #22 (8/16/13):

On our eastbound trip, #2 arrived SAS on station track 2 at 4:15AM (head end to the north). The Texas Eagle was already parked on track #3 also with the head end to the north.

After passenger unloading in SAS, #2 backed up (south) past the switch onto track 3 where the 2230 (sleeper) and 2215 (coach) cars were uncoupled. #2 pulled forward (north) back into the station platform area leaving the 2230 and 2215 cars on track 3 south of Montana Street by the Alamodome.

The SAS switching crew now backed the Texas Eagle south on Track 3 and coupled the 2230 and 2215 cars onto the rear of its consist. After “stretching” the coupling, air tests, etc. #22 pulled forward back into the station platform area on Track 3 outboard of Sunset Limited #2 which was on track 2. Both trains remained in these spots until their respective departure times.

The Sunset Limited #2 departs, continuing its movement through the station on the UP Del Rio Sub at 6:26AM. Once #2 departs, the platform area is clear so #22 may begin passenger loading. Texas Eagle #22 departs SAS at 7:00AM with a reverse move south out of the station. Once past the San Antonio River (CP SA211 aka: Tower 112) and then forward (north) on the UP Austin Sub #2 out of town.

SOUTHBOUND TEXAS EAGLE #21 and WESTBOUND SUNSET LIIMTED #1 (8/22/13):

This movement is somewhat more complicated than that described above. Train 21 arrives in SAS via the Austin Sub Track #1 and heads north into the station on track 3 with the head end on the north. The 2130 Sleeper was on the rear of the train with the 2115 Coach just forward in the consist.

Our train #21 was 2 hours late and #1 was already in the station on Track 2 with the head end south. We pulled in on Track 3 next to the Sunset Limited #1. Note: the two trains are facing opposite directions.

Because train #1 was blocking #21 from station access, it pulled forward (south) sufficiently to allow train #21 access to the station platforms. Once the Texas Eagle had unloaded (except for the 2130 and 2115 cars), the Sunset Limited pulled back into the platform area.

The yard crew then pulled the Texas Eagle forward on Track 3 where the 2130 sleeper was uncoupled and left between Center and E. Commerce streets. The Texas Eagle then pulled forward (north) sufficiently to clear the switch north of Center Street. They then backed down Track 2 and uncoupled the 2115 coach leaving it parked on Track 2 between Center and E. Commerce Streets (next to the sleeper).

The Texas Eagle again pulled forward (north) past the switch and then back down (south) to Track 3 where they coupled onto our 2130 Sleeper. They pulled our car forward (north) sufficiently to clear the switch and back down (south) and coupled the sleeper onto the north end of the coach. This reversed the positions of the two cars relative to each other.

When the 2130 and 2115 cars were coupled together, both were pushed south on the #2 station track and coupled onto the end of the Sunset Limited, now in their normal configuration with the sleeper on the rear of the train. After checking the coupling, etc., the Sunset Limited was ready to go.

The Texas Eagle then continued north on track 2 past the switch to Track 1 where two Superliner cars were parked on Track 1 between Center and E. Commerce Streets. They were coupled onto the rear of the Texas Eagle (in our place) and the train continued north to clear the switch north of Center Street and then back south on Track 3 to the depot to be parked until the morning’s 7 am departure.

Our train, the Sunset Limited #1 departed the station on time and headed to Los Angeles.

FROM THE “YMMV” DEPARTMENT:

When we were on 421 in December, the 2130 sleeper was entrained between the transition sleeper and the Cross Country Café (diner). The 2115 Coach was somewhere else in Texas Eagle consist. Obviously, this would necessitate a different switching sequence in San Antonio than what I described above with both cars on the rear of the train.

Power was off several times for differing amounts of time…from a few minutes to 30 minutes at a time.

I stepped off the train several times but stayed in the platform area. I wanted to ride the train through the switching moves. Times in the station will vary depending on which direction you are traveling and the train’s arrival/departure times. Check the schedules for these two trains.

If ADMIN feels this is better suited to be in the "Travelogue" forum, please feel free to move it.

Thanks so much fo rthe detailed description. I will be on the SL westbound in late December. I hope to sleep through the whole thing, but will enjoy knowing a little about what's happening if I notice the power going on/off. Good idea to have a flashlight just in case... and I wonder what happens if you need to use the toilet while the power is off. I woud assume the flush mechanism doesn't work under those conditions??

Thanks so much fo rthe detailed description. I will be on the SL westbound in late December. I hope to sleep through the whole thing, but will enjoy knowing a little about what's happening if I notice the power going on/off. Good idea to have a flashlight just in case... and I wonder what happens if you need to use the toilet while the power is off. I woud assume the flush mechanism doesn't work under those conditions??
Never "tested" that Pioneer! The emergency light do stay on however.

The Amtrak crews are pretty "gentle" so you may indeed be able to sleep through the operation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have done the TE eastbound from LAX to CHI several times, I am doing it Westbound from CHI to LAX in November January for the first time, not sure why I haven't dont it that way before, oh well. Glad to know what goes on while I am sleeping. Of course we get in around 10, I may still be awake.

I was on the TE recently and an announcement was made to the effect of 'If you'll find it difficult to go without the toilet and a/c for an hour you should go into the station now and reboard after the switch is made'. People that went and sat in the station mentioned that it was pretty hot in there. That was my first experience riding the TE. On the SL I've slept through the maneuvers and I don't know if they make announcements or not.
To frensicpic-great description of what happens there!! Excellent report!!

Thank you very much, I'm riding this train next week and I was wondering how they did all of this, now, just one question. Since #21 arrives from the south, the passengers are facing north correct? Even with the little switcheroo, wouldn't the passengers in the 2115 car be riding backwards heading westbound? (or do they ride backwards from Chicago? then reverse at SAS )

Thank you very much, I'm riding this train next week and I was wondering how they did all of this, now, just one question. Since #21 arrives from the south, the passengers are facing north correct? Even with the little switcheroo, wouldn't the passengers in the 2115 car be riding backwards heading westbound? (or do they ride backwards from Chicago? then reverse at SAS )
That is correct. I've heard here on AU that the seats in the 2115 car have to be reversed. I've only done this from the sleeper so can't comment from first-hand experience. Enjoy your trip.

thanks for th e quick reply, I'm in a sleeper, 2 actually one to SA and another to LA so it really doesnt effect me, I was curious about that though. I did this rip in reverse in 2001 and it was just miserable all the way around, I'm giving it another shot, westbound this time.

I wanted to see the car switching, so when I was on the eastbound TE, I went to sleep early to get some rest. I woke up when the cars started moving - as we were departing SAS at 7 am! The switching was either so gentle, or I was really tired. I did not feel a thing during the night.

Also on the westbound TE, my traveling buddy woke me up and said he spoke with the conductor and we could move to our new room (in the SL section) early. I got up to move, and found that we were still at the SAS station but were already combined to one train! Again I didn't feel a thing.

That is correct. I've heard here on AU that the seats in the 2115 car have to be reversed. I've only done this from the sleeper so can't comment from first-hand experience. Enjoy your trip.
In my experience, this happens sometime in the morning, since everyone has to get up for the flip.

In my experience, this happens sometime in the morning, since everyone has to get up for the flip.
This is Correct, it starts getting Light around Del Rio and since there arent any Announcments between 10PM and 7AM,(Quiet Hours) the OBS turn the Seats usually in Del Rio while the Train is stopped @ the Station! I have seen it done before Del Rio and also after but the usual Practice is to do it during the Station Stop!

I see the question of what happen in San Antonio come up rather frequently here. I have contributed responses but, on my recently completed round trip from Los Angeles to Temple, TX via San Antonio on train #422, I paid particular attention to the operations that took place in San Antonio. I hope this is useful.
I will use geographical (compass) directions, not railroad directions. I am providing this description based on my observations from the 2130/2230 sleeper during two round trips (422/421) through the area. Listening to the radio chatter on the scanner provided information as well. I do not have specific, detailed railroad or other knowledge of the area. With that, I am using geographical or compass directions versus railroad directions. If you have (constructive) input to this, please do so – without being snippy about it! I know that things may be different from time to time. Thanks.

When trains enter the depot area, they are switched from the main to station Track 3 and to AAR Channel 22 - 160.440 MHz to communicate with the Amtrak “yard” crew. The Amtrak yard crew (engineer, conductor, and mechanical) handles the switching of the cars may refer to the movements as the “Amtrak Yard Job”. From what I could see, the Sunset Limited typically ends up on Track 2 and the Texas Eagle on Track 3.

Reviewing a Google map/satellite view might be helpful to follow this description. At SAS, the tracks run geographically north-south. The station building is on the west side of the tracks. Going west to east the station tracks are numbered 1, 2 and 3 with main tracks 1 and 2 of the Del Rio Subdivision east of the station tracks. The station itself is located between E. Commerce Street, to the north and Montana Street to the south.

Station track #1 is a stub with the switch on the north end connecting to track #2 at about Center Street. It is this track where the SP 794 steam loco is on display at the north end of the depot just south of E. Commerce Street. Track 1 joins track 2 at a switch just north of Center Street.

Station track #2 is a siding off track #3 with a switch at each end. The south end is between Montana and Dakota Streets and the north end between Center and E. Crockett Streets.

Track #3 is a siding off Main 1 with a switch at each end. The south end is at Dakota Street and continues north with a crossover to Main 1 just north of E. Crockett Street.

On our eastbound trip, #2 arrived SAS on station track 2 at 4:15AM (head end to the north). The Texas Eagle was already parked on track #3 also with the head end to the north.

After passenger unloading in SAS, #2 backed up (south) past the switch onto track 3 where the 2230 (sleeper) and 2215 (coach) cars were uncoupled. #2 pulled forward (north) back into the station platform area leaving the 2230 and 2215 cars on track 3 south of Montana Street by the Alamodome.

The SAS switching crew now backed the Texas Eagle south on Track 3 and coupled the 2230 and 2215 cars onto the rear of its consist. After “stretching” the coupling, air tests, etc. #22 pulled forward back into the station platform area on Track 3 outboard of Sunset Limited #2 which was on track 2. Both trains remained in these spots until their respective departure times.

The Sunset Limited #2 departs, continuing its movement through the station on the UP Del Rio Sub at 6:26AM. Once #2 departs, the platform area is clear so #22 may begin passenger loading. Texas Eagle #22 departs SAS at 7:00AM with a reverse move south out of the station. Once past the San Antonio River (CP SA211 aka: Tower 112) and then forward (north) on the UP Austin Sub #2 out of town.

This movement is somewhat more complicated than that described above. Train 21 arrives in SAS via the Austin Sub Track #1 and heads north into the station on track 3 with the head end on the north. The 2130 Sleeper was on the rear of the train with the 2115 Coach just forward in the consist.

Our train #21 was 2 hours late and #1 was already in the station on Track 2 with the head end south. We pulled in on Track 3 next to the Sunset Limited #1. Note: the two trains are facing opposite directions.

Because train #1 was blocking #21 from station access, it pulled forward (south) sufficiently to allow train #21 access to the station platforms. Once the Texas Eagle had unloaded (except for the 2130 and 2115 cars), the Sunset Limited pulled back into the platform area.

The yard crew then pulled the Texas Eagle forward on Track 3 where the 2130 sleeper was uncoupled and left between Center and E. Commerce streets. The Texas Eagle then pulled forward (north) sufficiently to clear the switch north of Center Street. They then backed down Track 2 and uncoupled the 2115 coach leaving it parked on Track 2 between Center and E. Commerce Streets (next to the sleeper).

The Texas Eagle again pulled forward (north) past the switch and then back down (south) to Track 3 where they coupled onto our 2130 Sleeper. They pulled our car forward (north) sufficiently to clear the switch and back down (south) and coupled the sleeper onto the north end of the coach. This reversed the positions of the two cars relative to each other.

When the 2130 and 2115 cars were coupled together, both were pushed south on the #2 station track and coupled onto the end of the Sunset Limited, now in their normal configuration with the sleeper on the rear of the train. After checking the coupling, etc., the Sunset Limited was ready to go.

The Texas Eagle then continued north on track 2 past the switch to Track 1 where two Superliner cars were parked on Track 1 between Center and E. Commerce Streets. They were coupled onto the rear of the Texas Eagle (in our place) and the train continued north to clear the switch north of Center Street and then back south on Track 3 to the depot to be parked until the morning’s 7 am departure.

Our train, the Sunset Limited #1 departed the station on time and headed to Los Angeles.

When we were on 421 in December, the 2130 sleeper was entrained between the transition sleeper and the Cross Country Café (diner). The 2115 Coach was somewhere else in Texas Eagle consist. Obviously, this would necessitate a different switching sequence in San Antonio than what I described above with both cars on the rear of the train.

Power was off several times for differing amounts of time…from a few minutes to 30 minutes at a time.

I stepped off the train several times but stayed in the platform area. I wanted to ride the train through the switching moves. Times in the station will vary depending on which direction you are traveling and the train’s arrival/departure times. Check the schedules for these two trains.

If ADMIN feels this is better suited to be in the "Travelogue" forum, please feel free to move it.
I will be taking the 421 tomorrow......then entire distance, Chicago to LA. I have been wondering about the switching in SAS myself, and your extensive explanation was very helpful......I will be staying awake and paying attention while it is happening.

I will be taking the 421 tomorrow......then entire distance, Chicago to LA. I have been wondering about the switching in SAS myself, and your extensive explanation was very helpful......I will be staying awake and paying attention while it is happening.
In looking at a few 421 videos on youtube it looks like it would be unusual for the 2130 to be at the rear southbound.....much more frequently was the configuration you experienced your December trip.

In looking at a few 421 videos on youtube it looks like it would be unusual for the 2130 to be at the rear southbound.....much more frequently was the configuration you experienced your December trip.
It will be interesting to hear where the 2130 and 2115 cars in the TE consist (before San Antonio) on your trip.

It will be interesting to hear where the 2130 and 2115 cars in the TE consist (before San Antonio) on your trip.

Will be returning to Chicago on the Eagle the 20th.....looking forward to the 3 day journey again...love every minute of it. (as with most of us the trip is more important than the destination!!)

i was able to get on at Midnight, #1 arrived about 11:30pm, my SCA was standing out in front of the car so I just asked he said sure, but let me have your ticket and I'll have the conductor scan it, so thats what I did and went to bed. He already had my bed turned down and waiting. I woke up in the morning and there was my ticket, right in the floor where he'd slipped it under the door. I was awake long enough to know the power cut out for about 2 minutes but thats all I felt or heard at the front of the train.

I did notice a little bit of a disconnect between on board staff and the switching crew. Before we got to the San Antonio it was announced that "doors would be open and you can get off and on as you like" But come just before the Sunset arrived, they locked #21 up tight, with no warning. One mother was outside having a smoke break and was locked out and away from her 4 year old. She was livid (I'm making no comments, just saying what happened) but I was out there and nobody warned them, they just locked it up tight. That could have been done a little better all the way around. Other then that, it was a great ride from Chicago to LA. That route is much better then I remembered it.

What about the reverse moves when No. 22 heads to Chicago?

Any idea on where the train reverses?

Thanks.

I am not familiar with the location names or the layout around San Antonio, but when I traveled from Tucson to Chicago in Oct. 2011, we backed up a couple of miles to the west, stopped, and then were switched to the right to head north.

Greatcats has it right, the NB #22/#422 backs out of the Station past the Alamodome for about a mile on the old SP tracks, then proceeds North towards Austin on the old M-K-T ( Katy) tracks which join the old Mopac tracks outside San Marcos! ( first stop heading North) I don't know the sub and junction names either!

Edited to correct RR Names due to Senior moment!

Greatcats has it right, the NB #22/#422 backs out of the Station past the Alamodome for about a mile on the old SP route, then proceeds North towards Austin on the old MoPac tracks which join the old M-K-T tracks outside San Marcos! ( first stop heading North) I don't know the sub and junction names either!
In my experience, the train has always reversed to Tower 112 (just past the San Antonio River crossing) and proceeded east/north on the Katy route. Taking the MoPac route would require reversing all the way to Tower 105 (on the other side of I-10).

The two sets of tracks meet at Schertz, and UP runs them directionally through New Braunfels to San Marcos, where they diverge.

This thread was very helpful to me on our recent Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited trip. I stayed up for both switchings and thought I would make some updates as to what happened with us. Everything was mostly the same, but there is some change I observed and also the addition of switching the baggage car...

Our eastbound #2 actually stopped south of the station (before ever going into the station) where the two rear cars (422 coach and sleeper) were cut off. The #2 then pulled into the station on track 2. Train #22 was parked on track 3 and very quickly backed up and picked up the two 422 cars and pulled back into the station. The 422 cars were the only accessible cars from the platform as #2 blocked the rest of the train.

Then then cut off the locomotive from #22 and pulled it somewhere way North of the station. The then cut off the two locomotives and the baggage car from #2 and pulled it North, then backed the baggage car on the track three and cut it off, then pulled forward again and finally backed them back down track 2 and reattached to the Sunset Limited train.

Then the #22 locomotive backed down track 3, hooked up the baggage and backed up and hooked up the rest of the Texas Eagle.

Again, mostly the exact same movements. However, the spare sleeper and coach that the Texas Eagle had to pick up were in backwards order so they had to pick up the sleeper, drop it on track 2, then picked up the coach, went back and hooked up the sleeper, then pulled the entire train back into the station on track 3.

They then cut of the baggage car with the locomotive off of #21, pulled north, then south on track 2 and cut off the baggage car.

#21 then goes back down track 3 and couples to the #21 train cars.

#21 then pulled the full train north, then backed south on to track 2 and attached the baggage on to its rear.

#21 pulled north, then backed down track 3 and cut off the baggage car at the very end of track 3 before the switch.

#21 then pulled North to its final position to await departure.

The locomotives from #1 were then cut of and pulled South, they then backed North onto track three and picked up the baggage.

#1 then pulled South and backed up on track 2 and reattached to the #1 trainset and awaited departure time.

I think they could have saved a LOT of time and movement if they had cut off the baggage when #22 was backed on to track 2 attaching the 421 cars to the Sunset. They could have run it down to the end of track 3 and left it saving the whole train moves they did at the end.

I was told by a Conductor from the Eagles that the switching crews in SAS want more hours, so the Union has pushed for making the switching moves more complicated and Amtrak wants them simplified, ie quicker and hence cheaper!

Back