Sunset Limited #1(21)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And GPS is not 100% accurate. Mine always shows my house being about 50 feet from its actual location. If the Engineer was in speed trouble a Penalty Braking would/should apply.

I do like the display in the above pic-what program or GPS are you using?

The unit is a Garmin GPSmap 62s handheld with an external antenna hanging on a suction cup hook in the window. It's currently showing an accuracy of 13 feet.

This should not be used to judge engineer adherence to speed limits. Too much room for error. Iirc the engines have event recorders that accurately record speeds and braking. IMHO the railfans should step back and let the railroaders do their jobs. Posting info like this could draw unnecessary attention to an engineer.

This should not be used to judge engineer adherence to speed limits. Too much room for error. Iirc the engines have event recorders that accurately record speeds and braking. IMHO the railfans should step back and let the railroaders do their jobs. Posting info like this could draw unnecessary attention to an engineer.
agreed!

While event recorders are present on all locomotives now, Like I mentioned above 81 isn't where an overspeed penalty is applied, that speed is 83MPH. If the train got into a Derailment or Grade Crossing Accident, etc AFAIC their wouldn't be that much of a problem for going 81. I could be wrong. IINM P42's and P40's do not have Cruise Control, like the AEM-7's, HHP's, and AE's do. So the engineer could be going up and down on the throttle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back