New checked baggage

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Train2104

OBS Chief
http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=AM_Alert_C&pagename=am/AM_Alert_C/Alerts_Popup&cid=1251624456261

August 26, 2013 - Stations

• Newton, KS - Station closed on weekends; deliver / pick-up luggage train side
  • Topeka, KS - Station closed on weekends; deliver / pick-up luggage train side
  • Route-128 / Westwood - Checked baggage only on Northeast Regional Trains 66 and 67
  • Fort Madison, IA - Station closed on weekends; deliver / pick-up luggage train side
  • "Mount Pleasant, IA - Station closed on weekends; deliver / pick-up luggage train side
September 2, 2013 - Stations
  • Joliet, IL - Checked baggage only on Texas Eagle Trains 21, 22, 321, 322, 421 and 422
  • Galesburg, IL - Checked baggage only on California Zephyr and Southwest Chief, Trains 3, 4, 5 and 6. Due to limited storage, baggage must be claimed immediately and will be checked just prior to train arrival.

Last edited by a moderator:
At least for me, Amtrak just got a lot more user friendly. The excuse, a poor one IMHO, for no baggage service at FMD and MTP, and I guess Topeka and Newton, was that there is an agent on duty only five days a week. Now, apparently the world won't come to an end if passengers hand luggage and a ticket to the conductor or AC at the baggage car.

With 8 trains a day, 4 long distance, calling at GBB and at least 3 agents, there never was an excuse, even a lousy one.

What's going on with Amtrak? BC in the Metropolitan Lounge in Chicago and Portland, and now this.

So on the days that those stations are staffed, such as Newton, will the agent tag the bag and bring it to the baggage car or do the passengers need to still wait near the baggage car. I suppose the conductor will be ready and just write in the destination on a generic luggage tag.

Also, I wonder how they'll handle claiming luggage at said stations. What if the passenger doesn't show or get off?

Newton has not had baggage service for about five years. For the hours the trains at NEW it is wrong for passengers to not be able to wait inside. I travel about three hours to get to the station and get to the station about two hours early. Thanks for the headsup allowing me to change my plans for a Sunday departure. Also the Chief has been a lot lately into NEW eastbound.

So on the days that those stations are staffed, such as Newton, will the agent tag the bag and bring it to the baggage car or do the passengers need to still wait near the baggage car. I suppose the conductor will be ready and just write in the destination on a generic luggage tag.
Also, I wonder how they'll handle claiming luggage at said stations. What if the passenger doesn't show or get off?
If no one is there to claim the luggage, the luggage is transported to next manned station for handling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back