Buying/Sharing AGR Points - Limit

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm working on a one zone bedroom round trip for next year which is 25,000 points each way. I currently have more than the reqired points for one way as does my wife. I could transfer sufficient points from her AGR to mine to get the round trip.

I think this is the "catch". I recently purchased 10,000 (+3,000) points from the current promotion. I know 10,000 is the annual limit for purchasing points. The fine print states: "Members may buy or receive up to a total of 10,000 points in a calendar year." Looking at the "or receive" part, I assume that means I would not be allowed to transfer points from her account to mine since I've reached the 10,000 number.

It appears I would have to get a ticket for one way in my name (using my points) and add her name and then do the opposite for the return. The return ticket would be in her name with her points with my name added.

Sound correct?

Thanks

I'm working on a one zone bedroom round trip for next year which is 25,000 points each way. I currently have more than the reqired points for one way as does my wife. I could transfer sufficient points from her AGR to mine to get the round trip.
I think this is the "catch". I recently purchased 10,000 (+3,000) points from the current promotion. I know 10,000 is the annual limit for purchasing points. The fine print states: "Members may buy or receive up to a total of 10,000 points in a calendar year." Looking at the "or receive" part, I assume that means I would not be allowed to transfer points from her account to mine since I've reached the 10,000 number.

It appears I would have to get a ticket for one way in my name (using my points) and add her name and then do the opposite for the return. The return ticket would be in her name with her points with my name added.

Sound correct?

Thanks
Thats how it's done! Dont Pay to Transfer Points, it Lowers the Redemption Value!

Last edited by a moderator:
Correct! You are the lead pax on one of the segments, charging your account 25,000 Points. She is the lead pax on the return segment, charging her account 25,000 Points. No need to transfer :)

Correct! You are the lead pax on one of the segments, charging your account 25,000 Points. She is the lead pax on the return segment, charging her account 25,000 Points. No need to transfer :)
What I thought...thanks. Wasn't too thrilled about paying to transfer points! I do believe I'm up against the 10,000 point "buy or receive" limit anyway. I'll be buying her the same points plus bonus so, she will have the limit too. And yes, I am aware there is a charge to transfer points.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anybody know the charge to transfer points, and is that indeed the policy that once you've purchased 10K points, ZERO can be transferred into your account?

Thx

Correct, the limit per account is 10,000 points per calendar year, no matter if you buy them or if it's a gift or transfer! (If you bought points, any bonuses {like the 30%} don't matter.)
Sorry, but NO! That is incorrect!

You can only buy or be gifted 10,000 points per year.

But that limit does not apply to points transferred from another AGR account. The limit on transferred points is 100,000 per year, unless you are Select Executive in which case there is no limit.

I quote from the T&C:

Amtrak Guest Rewards Share Points can be purchased in increments of 1,000 points with a total of 100,000 points per account in a calendar year. Select Executive Members are not subject to limits on the number of points they may Buy/Gift/Share.

This is exactly (well, almost, I had a 3-zone roomette) what Hubby and I did with our points last fall. I bought the trip one way, he bought the trip the other direction. But then, he did not even come on the trip, so I had it all to myself! And I've been told, in addition, that the person purchasing the trip with their points can list ANYONE'S name as the lead passenger, even as the only passenger. Is this correct?

Back