Day trip to Boston from WIL

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AmtrakBlue

Engineer
Gathering Team Member
Yes, I know it will be a long day. I'm hoping I can talk someone into going with me (not my daughter though as I'd have to pay for her too :eek: ).

I've never been to Boston but have been told I have a Bostonian/English accent, so I've always thought I should go up and hear what I sound like. :D

I have already looked at train times and have started a list of pros/cons for each one.

NER150 (4:50 AM - 11:09 AM) / NER 167 (4:35 PM - 10:55 PM)

NER 66 (11:46 PM - 8:00 AM) / NER 167

NER 66 / NER 67 (9:30 PM - 5:06 AM)

Some questions that I have, for now:

1) I'm interested in seeing old/historic Boston - at which station should I get off?

2) What are some things I should see (free/low-cost)?

a) My shortest time frame is about 4-5 hours

b) My longest time frame is about 12 hours

3) Don't have a date or month picked out yet to do this, but do want to be able to see as much as I can between NYP and Boston so want to travel in daylight for that section at least one way.

Thanks in advance for sage advice (which I will take with a grain of salt knowing how varied everyone's opinions can be :p )

If you in May or June or July, the light will be longest. To see the older historic parts of Boston, you should get off at either Back Bay or South Station and take the "T". (Both are major stops for both Amtrak and the "T".)

I would either take 66 up and 167 back, or 150 up and 67 back. I'm not saying this because you'll see KIN in daylight (yes I am :giggle: ), but the region between Old Saybrook and Providence is one of the most (and unexpected) scenic trips by rail in the US. Most of the way you'll be within sight of water (either Long Island Sound or Narragansett Bay - at times within feet) or going thru deep woods. You would not think you were in the middle of the most populated region of the country!

One free thing to do is to walk all or part of the Freedom Trail, which is marked on the sidewalks.

I'll leave more for others to describe more.

I've never been to Boston but have been told I have a Bostonian/English accent, so I've always thought I should go up and hear what I sound like. :D
Would anybody confuse a Boston accent with an English one, whether public school, Cockney, or anything in between?

Last edited by a moderator:
Would anybody confuse a Boston accent with an English one, whether public school, Cockney, or anything in between?
I don't know. I spent the 1st 11-1/2 years of my life in GA before my family moved back to DE. I think my accent is probably a mix of the southern & mid-Atlantic accents that I was exposed to in GA. If I ever get back to GA, I suspect I would get my drawl back quickly. Haven't been down there since '86.

Yeah, a Boston accent is not at all like an English accent. Watch Good Will Hunting or the Departed to listen to Matt Damon with his Boston accent.

You could get off at either Back Bay or South Station and then take hte subway (the "T") to any of the historic areas. You will want to walk part of the freedom trail (marked on the sidewalk with a red stripe), walk through the Boston Common adn Public Garden, walk down Newbury Street for classic shopping, etc.

If you want to see historical sites in town, I love the Otis House, which is run by Historic New England. Its a historic house museum and Historic New England is one of the oldest and best historic preservation organizations in the country. That is the Beacon Hill section of town. Boston is pretty small and extremably walkable. Along the freedom trail you can see the Old North Church (one if by land, two if by sea), the old burying grounds, old city hall, some sites where the revoluationaries used to gather, etc.

I hope you have a wonderful time in Boston. I would recommend going in May, that way you will have long days but it won't be too hot yet to walk around.

What OS/Browser did you use for that post, Betty? I've been seeing those goofy <blockquote tags from time to time...
It's happening on my iPod Touch. :(

I suspected that was the case - I came across a mention that it had something to do with the mobile skin. It's listed as something that's fixed in the most recent maintenance release, so hopefully it'll go away.

(sorry for the derail, sounds like you're getting some good advice - I've only been up there once, so I'm filing away the good ideas people are posting as well)

I did the Freedom Trail when I was in Boston back in March, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It is definitely not a short walk, but it does take you through a lot of the historical highlights. Just don't hand your camera to another tourist on the steps of the Boston Common like I did...

I find "walking the freedom trail" to be over rated. Maybe it is because when I was in Boston, I had limited time because I was actually there for a conference so I picked and choosed which sites I wanted to see. I knew I wouldn't have time to do the entire trail. I created a list of what I would like to see, prioritized them, and fit them in as time was available. Things I did while I was there:

-Quincy Market: I wasn't too impressed. It was a good place to get dinner and buy souveneers. Also bought a sweatshirt there because I didn't think I would need anything in June.

-Bunker Hill: They had a free musum that was neat. The monument was closed for repairs but I walked around and looked at it.

-USS Constutuion museum: Didn't have time to go through the ship and only had a short time at the museum. Was interesting but only did it because it was on my way from Bunker Hill back over the water on a boat.

-JFK Library Museum: A little worn but it much more then just about the Kennedy's. Alot about Americana in the 1960s.

-Fire Museum: Small museum dedicated to the Boston fire department. Interesting if you are in to that kind of thing.

Things I want to do on a future trip:

-JFK childhood home

-JFK musuem with my wife (see is a huge JFK buff)

-Paul Revere House

I loved the burying grounds and looking at the old tombstones. They are very interesting. I also enjoyed Fanieul (sp?) hall.

There is a step on/ step off(all day fee) narrated bus tour that covers most of the historical sites. I suggest doing the complete loop once for the narration and then get off at sites that interested you.

I did following the Freedom Trail and it was very interesting. It takes about a day and a half to do that. I would recommend to start at Common Parks, where one of the "T" stations is.
Do you mean the Park Street T stop? That is on the Eastern side of the Boston Common. There is no T stop named "Common Parks." I just don't want to confuse the OP. The Park Street T stop is serviced by the red and the green lines. The old burying grounds are right near there, just north up Tremont St. it is a great area to start the Freedom Trail. You don't have to do the whole thing, it is kind of long and goes into Charlestown, but I might suggest doing the part that goes into the North End, etc.

I also like the Duck Tour in Boston. They hvae these in a bunch of cities, but it is those WWII amphibious vehicles. They go around town and then they go into the Charles River and then back on land. You can board the Duck Tour at either the Prudential Center or the Museum of Science. Probably the Prudential Center could be more convenient as that is right near the BBY train station.

Lots of good info. Thanks guys.

Now to find someone to go with me, decide if I should spend the money to do this (hey, there's NTD & possibly the gathering to consider), pick a weekend, etc.

I went to Boston with my sister (and I paid for her) in May 2011. We stayed on Tremont Street (Park St. T station) near the Freedom Trail. My sister insisted on taking the Duck Tour. Since I was paying, and it was a bit pricey, I said I was not interested. However, when she offered to pay for both of us, I agreed. We both had a great time. It was entertaining as well as educational. We boarded at the Prudential Center (to which we walked from our hotel). (We went to Portland in July 2012 and took the Duck Tour there also and enjoyed it).

Not that it would keep me from taking a Duck Tour, but people in the Philly area may shy away from it since one was run over by a barge in the Delaware River a few years ago (two people drowned). I believe the tug boat operator was found guilty of not operating the tug/barge appropriately.

Edit: The Duck boat was disabled and just floating in the river when this occurred so it could not get out of the way of the barge.

Not that it would keep me from taking a Duck Tour, but people in the Philly area may shy away from it since one was run over by a barge in the Delaware River a few years ago (two people drowned). I believe the tug boat operator was found guilty of not operating the tug/barge appropriately.
Edit: The Duck boat was disabled and just floating in the river when this occurred so it could not get out of the way of the barge.
Yes, that tragedy was a shame. But the barge operator or tug boat operator was totally impaired and was completely at fault in that accident. It was unfortunate that the duck boat was disabled, but I don't think they were at fault.

Regardless, if you do the duck boat in Boston, you aren't out htere floating in Boston Harbor. I think the biggest boat you might encounter in the Charles is a little one or two person sailboat that they use at the sailing school on the Esplanade. These are mini-sized. You certainly wouldn't see a tug boat with a giant ocean going barge.

Accidents happen with any transportation. Yes, the Philly Duck Tours had an issue. Amtrak has had accidents. Water taxi in Baltimore a few years ago had a tradgedy. Amusment ride accidents. Planes, boats, autos, trains, etc. could all have issues but that is no reason to avoid them. For the most part all are safe.

Accidents happen with any transportation. Yes, the Philly Duck Tours had an issue. Amtrak has had accidents. Water taxi in Baltimore a few years ago had a tradgedy. Amusment ride accidents. Planes, boats, autos, trains, etc. could all have issues but that is no reason to avoid them. For the most part all are safe.
I agree wholeheartedly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back