CZ luggage and seating

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Six of us will be traveling from Mt Pleasant to Reno this summer. From reading here we will not be able to check luggage in Iowa. My questions are will that be a problem for a family of 6 and will we have a hard time finding 6 seats together.

Hello,

I think you should not have a problem with the luggage. There is quite a bit of space above the seats and several bags can be stored there as well as some space in the lower floor storage area. Of course, if you are traveling in the summer, the CZ is many times very full and there might not be much space on lower floor left. Be sure to pack efficiently and keep the weight of your bags below 50lbs.

As far as seating arrangements, you probably will have a difficult time finding six seats together, but again it depends on how crowded your coach car is. Since you should be boarding around 6pm, it might be a little easier for the conductor/car attendant to move some people around so that your group can sit in pairs, but I doubt he would be able to put all of you together in six seats. :unsure:

But all you can do is ask when you board and maybe it will happen. <_<

As the train moves across the country there may be people getting off that would free up some space to move you all closer together. :)

Don't forget to enjoy the Sightseer Lounge Car where several of you can all sit together or close by and enjoy the beautiful scenery between Denver and Salt Lake City. Get those seats up there as soon as you arrive in Denver. It fills up fast also.

Have a great trip :D

Please tell us when you are travelling. Please get a Sleeper room if you can afford it. A Coach car has four seats per row, with a aisle down the middle, so all seats are in pairs. You can probably fnd three empty pairs somewhere along the train, but it is very hard to find three pairs all besides each other. I strongly suggest a Sleeper.

Hi Henry,

I travel coach exclusively so maybe I can help you a little.

The train you'll be taking is a double decker Superliner, it's very roomy.

There are shelves on the lower level for baggage, it's a little tight sometimes but the Conductors or Coach Attendants will guide you when you get on.

Don't pack too much and you'll be fine.

There is also a lot of room above the seats - nothing at all like the airlines - for more carry on luggage.

You'll also have room under your seat and on the floor in front of your seat for smaller bags.

It couldn't hurt to call Amtrak's Customer Service - 1-800-USA-RAIL- and tell them that you need 6 seats together - they should be able to convey that to the Conductor and Staff.

I've seen seats reserved for groups on almost every train I've been on and I'd say that you guys are a small group.

Every one of the trains I was on last month were sold out and seats were also assigned on every train, so there weren't people scattered all over.

They did a good job of keeping groups of seats open for people traveling together.

Don't let others scare you into the need for a bedroom, if you can go with the flow, you'll be able to sleep in a coach seat with no problem - then you can freshen up when you get to Reno.

You'll be able to move around the train all you want and you guys will probably spend most of your time in the Sightseer Lounge anyway watching all the fantastic scenery.

I don't know if you've taken the train before but here are some photos to give you an idea of what you can expect.

Luggage racks above the seats on the California Zephyr

CZcoach.jpg

Coach seats upright

coachseat.jpg

Coach seats reclined with all of the gee-gaws extended

reclinedcoach.jpg

And my favorite place on the train.... the Sightseer Lounge (SSL on the forum)

ssl.jpg

Your trip is going to be fantastic!

Don't hesitate to ask more questions, most everyone here is very helpful.
smile.gif

You'll definately get 3 sets of seats together by Denver, there the train empties out and there is a lot of turnover. I've done that train (never all the way through) but in my experience it is quite crowded between Colorado and Chicago but rather empty after leaving Grand Junction heading to Reno. On the first night you'll definately be packed in. The second should be a nice empty train since ridership really drops off between the Colorado Rockies and Reno.

Suggestion: If you're planning to go on a Friday, check to see if the Cubs are playing the Rockies in a Saturday day game. Cub fans often take the Zephyr overnight just for the game and return that night.

Hey, Henry P., I'm not trying to force you or scare you into getting a Roomette, but I just think that it's worth the money, so get it if you got the money. Use Amsnag to find cheaper fares. No hard feelings.

I thougtht that the minimum for a group reservation was 8 or 9. Don't know if you can get one of those.
What JoanieB Is suggesting, is for the OP to have the res. office put a special service request on the manifest to notify Cdr./Coach attendant that they are a family of 6 boarding together. It will increase chances of seats being located together...

I thougtht that the minimum for a group reservation was 8 or 9. Don't know if you can get one of those.
What JoanieB Is suggesting, is for the OP to have the res. office put a special service request on the manifest to notify Cdr./Coach attendant that they are a family of 6 boarding together. It will increase chances of seats being located together...
Thank you all for the information. As first time train travelers we are trying to gather as much information as possible.

Some might disagree with me but, no matter what the Customer Service rep tells you, DO NOT get lower level seats.

I've never sat in them but based on what I've seen, they're great if you're mobility impaired but they look so depressing.

They're by the bathrooms, luggage racks, stairway and closed off from all of the action.

You'd still have to go upstairs for anything but the luggage racks and the bathrooms.... don't get them!
ohmy.gif

Just a personal opinion but I will never sit down there unless it's the only way I can get home after the Apocalypse has begun.
tongue.gif

Suggestion: If you're planning to go on a Friday, check to see if the Cubs are playing the Rockies in a Saturday day game. Cub fans often take the Zephyr overnight just for the game and return that night.
Really? I didn't know that. Sounds like something I'd enjoy doing for sure.

Some might disagree with me but, no matter what the Customer Service rep tells you, DO NOT get lower level seats.

I've never sat in them but based on what I've seen, they're great if you're mobility impaired but they look so depressing.

They're by the bathrooms, luggage racks, stairway and closed off from all of the action.

You'd still have to go upstairs for anything but the luggage racks and the bathrooms.... don't get them!
ohmy.gif

Just a personal opinion but I will never sit down there unless it's the only way I can get home after the Apocalypse has begun.
tongue.gif
I'm totally with you about the Lower Level seats. Avoid as much as possible!

Ok just getting off the CZ twice last week I seen seats reserved for each direction Chicago to Reno and return. There were four seats across from each other, front row of the car going out tagged in Chicago for a family bording in Iowa with a baby. Only problem was no tray tables in that row but more room for baby carryer in floor was reason we were given. Back row on the way back was for crew members. I would contact them and ask for 6 seats together wouldn't hurt anything if I was worried.

On the way back to Chicago

Reno we were gave a boarding pass in the station, all in coach sent out one door. Again stay together and if like us you will be told to pick out any empty seats as you board. Train was near empty at the time so no problem.

Coach is not as bad as some would like you to believe. Yea you can't lay flat to sleep and have to put up with other people but it can be done. We found two differant type coaches one newer than the other, old ones seats laid back a bit more but were a bit worn out newer ones were a bit more comfy but didn't recline quite as much. If you get one with the little green led lights running in the floor you got lucky.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back