Longview to Galveston questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cindylou

Train Attendant
We're planning a trip down to Galveston next winter on the Texas Eagle, and wondering how luggage is accommodated on the bus between Longview and Galveston. Are large bags a problem? Do they put them in the storage area under the bus?

And can anyone familiar with this route describe the bus trip? Does it go straight through without any stops, or do they stop to pick up new passengers on the way?

Thanks!

cindy

Go to the Amtrak site and check out the Texas Eagle timetable. In the last page it gives you info about the bus. I copied this over.

Longview • Houston • Galveston (Lone Star Coach)

6021 Mile Thruway Number Symbol 6022

l8 40A 0 Dp Longview, TX–Amtrak Station (CT) Σ Ar l5 40P

10 05A 70 Ar Nacogdoches, TX > Dp 4 25P

lD1 15P 214 Ar Houston, TX–Amtrak Station Σv Dp lR1 05P

2 45P 266 Ar Galveston, TX–123 Rosenberg (CT) > Dp 11 30A

They'll store baggage overhead on in the bays.

I haven't taken the bus from Longview to Galveston but I've been on the TE a few times, it's a nice trip.

If the train is on time, you'll arrive in Longview at 8:28am, the bus will wait for the train since it's the direct connection to the other stops on the TE schedule.

The bus will make a few stops but I believe it will be very short stops to drop off passengers.

I've read nice things about the Lone Star Coach service on this forum.

Here's the schedule to Longview:

Depart Longview at 8:40am

Nacogdoches at 10:05am

Houston at 1:15pm

Galveston at 2:45pm

You can look at a current timetable for the TE and all other trains here: Amtrak Timetables

The timetables change (usually not a whole lot) in May and November.

Learn more about the Texas Eagle, including accommodations, seating, timetable, menus, amenities, and virtual tours on the train's Amtrak page: Texas Eagle Information

I found this post in another thread.

You can do a search on the forums by using the search box on the right side of this page.

We frequently travel from Chicago IL to Houston TX. Since there is no direct train traveling this route, we leave the train at Longview TX and climb aboard a bus from there to Houston (about a 5 hour trip). The bus is not our favorite part of the trip, but it's really not bad. A Lone Star Coach is contracted for that portion of the trip. The bus is relatively new and always very clean. Most times there are few passengers so it is possible to have a double seat for each person (unless it is a busy time of year when two-people-per-double-seat is necessary). There is an on-board restroom, but few people use it. The bus is equipped with video monitors and the driver plays a family-type movie or two. A "rest stop" is scheduled mid-way on the trip, so most folks use that opportunity to use a "real" restroom and to pick up a snack or meal.

Thanks, JoanieB! I did do a search, but didn't find that good information.

I just picked up the new timetable while on a trip to Boston.

Does anyone have an answer to my luggage question? We will probably have 2 large suitcases and probably a smaller (carry-on size) with us on this trip, as we are cruising out of Galveston for 2 weeks. Just wanted to make sure there were no luggage restrictions on the bus portion. (I'm already familiar with the luggage storage/checking bags, etc. on the train portion of the trip.)

Cindy

You're welcome, Cindy!
smile.gif

Maybe someone that has been on one of the buses will chime in, in the meantime....

There's info about the buses with pics on their website: Lone Star Coaches

This is a pic of their smallest bus - 36 seats and it looks like there's a lot of room for luggage underneath.

I'm sure if you can take it on the train, you can take it on the bus.

Looks like a nice bus, if ya' gotta take a bus....

lonestar36.jpg

Hi Cindylou! I am the person who wrote the paragraph that was quoted in the earlier post. As I mentioned, we frequently travel to Houston, so we are very familiar with the bus from Longview. Large bags are no problem - they are stored in the area under the bus. You will not have access to them once you are "on the road", so take anything you'll need with you to your seat. There are also overhead storage bins above the seats for any smaller bags that you might want to keep near you. I have found that they keep the bus fairly cool, so you might want to have a sweater or jacket handy. On our most recent trip (April 21), the movie system was not functioning, so, if it has not been repaired, you may not have that type of entertainment on board. As far as stopping to pick up other passengers, the answer is "No". The only possible place that additonal passengers might board would be in Nacogdoches which would be your normal rest stop anyway. Only once, in all of our many trips, did we see any additonal passengers board there. Your longest stop would be in Houston where virtually all of the passengers end their trip. This could take a while since all of the luggage also has to be unloaded there. Usually there are no passengers continuing to Galveston. If you are planning to leave from Galveston on your return trip, you should call a day in advance - if there are no scheduled passengers, the bus will not make the trip. (The drivers spend the night in Houston, and start the next day's trip from there.) Hope this info helps! Have a great trip!

Just check your bags. They can be claimed in Longview. Then claim them in Longview and they'll through them under the bus to Galveston. If you were getting off in Houston, you could check them all the way there, but you'd have to make sure to make sure you claimed them during the stop in Houston and make sure they stayed under the bus to Galveston. Ask the station agent when you board the train about where to check them, but you should have no problem.

I have been on many long distance busses both here and in Mexico. I can be 98% confidently sure that you're bags will likely be checked through onto the bus in their storage compartments along the bottom of the bus. These are VERY large spaces and as mentioned, with the likelyhood of a low number of passengers, space for your luggage will not be a problem. If you can check your bags through to Galveston, then trust that they will guarantee your bags get there.

On a side note, it's in one of those compartments under the bus where I discovered that relief drivers in Mexico spend their 'crew rest' time!

If you are planning to leave from Galveston on your return trip, you should call a day in advance - if there are no scheduled passengers, the bus will not make the trip. (The drivers spend the night in Houston, and start the next day's trip from there.) Hope this info helps! Have a great trip!
Thanks, everyone for the information! I've made our reservation now, and we are ticketed from Galveston back to Longview on the return trip...so do I still need to call a day in advance about the bus...or is this like a "guaranteed connection" thru Amtrak, and they'll know we need to be picked up? It might be hard to call 24 hours ahead...I'll be "out to sea" :)

If you are planning to leave from Galveston on your return trip, you should call a day in advance - if there are no scheduled passengers, the bus will not make the trip. (The drivers spend the night in Houston, and start the next day's trip from there.) Hope this info helps! Have a great trip!
Thanks, everyone for the information! I've made our reservation now, and we are ticketed from Galveston back to Longview on the return trip...so do I still need to call a day in advance about the bus...or is this like a "guaranteed connection" thru Amtrak, and they'll know we need to be picked up? It might be hard to call 24 hours ahead...I'll be "out to sea" :)
You definitely need to call. I have read other posts on here where Galveston passengers were left abandoned because they did not call in advance. Also check the Greyhound schedules just in case your bus doesn't arrive. As was stated above, the bus does not run to Galveston if there are no passengers. Having a ticket is no guarantee.

Wow, thanks for letting me know that. That doesn't seem fair to the passenger...since my reservation states it's from Galveston back to Longview by bus to catch the TE; nowhere on my reservation info does it tell me we have to call a day in advance to make sure the bus will be there. Glad I found this out!

Thanks!

Cindy

Cincylou, you might want to have the phone number for Lone Star Coaches also as they are a charter bus company, not a regularly scheduled route. http://lonestarcoaches.com/ Lone Star picks up at 123 Rosenberg St(25st) which is right in front of the Railroad museum(the old Santa Fe Depot). Since you are taking the bus down there you can talk to the driver about your return and pickup. It's also close to where the cruise ship docks. Greyhound Bus on the other hand is located at 3825 Broadway, which is a gas station. Don't get the two confused. Although the bus picks you up in front of the museum, there are no facilities of any kind there, something to think about if the weather is bad. You just get on in front of the museum. Enjoy your trip.

You definitely need to call. I have read other posts on here where Galveston passengers were left abandoned because they did not call in advance. Also check the Greyhound schedules just in case your bus doesn't arrive. As was stated above, the bus does not run to Galveston if there are no passengers. Having a ticket is no guarantee.
Really? Even with an Amtrak ticket in hand, a person has to call to tell the bus company? If this is the case, it just is not right.

Really? Even with an Amtrak ticket in hand, a person has to call to tell the bus company? If this is the case, it just is not right.
Yes I agree! Not doubting henryj's advice...but it does seem weird. So I will have necessary phone numbers handy in case we're left stranded in Galveston at the bus stop. :unsure:

Someone needs to restore 4 ATSF Warbonnet F-7s (A-B-B-A) and 1, just 1, streamlined Coach for the Houston to Galveston run. That is how the Texas Chief started and finished its day back in the 60s, even showing 5 flagstops along the short way!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back