Which train to take back from AZ?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which train?

• Southwest Chief

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Sunset Limited/Texas Eagle

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Sunset Limited/Crescent

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Sunset Limited/Crescent (LAX Variation)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • California Zephyr (Overland Reroute)

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anderson

Engineer
So, I'm taking a trip out to AZ yet again. Going there, I'll probably be doing the Meteor-Lake Shore-Chief (my standard option when using points, since the LSL is so expensive). However, coming back, I am considering a couple of options:

1) Southwest Chief Flagstaff-Chicago, Capitol Limited, Silver Meteor. Pros: OTP tends to be pretty solid, I'm familiar with the route, etc. Cons: The Chief's Flagstaff time eastbound is awful.

2) Sunset Limited /Texas Eagle Tuscon-Chicago, then same as #1. Pros: Tuscon time is better, and I want to "check off" the Sunset Limited if possible. Another consideration is that I've got friends in Phoenix I'd like to visit. Cons: San Antonio Layover.

3) Sunset Limited Tuscon-New Orleans, Crescent New Orleans-Washington, Silver Meteor. Pros: The Sunset and Crescent are both new territory for me. Cons: NOL layover, perhaps.

4) Sunset Limited LAX-NOL, then same as #3. Only big pro is "acing" the Sunset. Con is getting to LAX.

5) California Zephyr SLC-CHI, then same as #1. Big pro here is the Overland Route, which may be reason enough since nailing rare mileage west of CHI is a chore for me. Another pro is that In-N-Out is now in Salt Lake City, so I could grab a good burger and a shake later in the evening. Con: I've done the drive from Marble Canyon to Salt Lake City before. On the one hand, it is without a doubt magnificent...but my love of driving has long subsumed into my love of trains.

Thoughts? Comments? Other ideas (and no, driving to Vegas and taking the bus does not appeal to me...though if I had a few more days to kill, an option involving either LAX or EMY would appeal...maybe later in the summer)?

The choice to me is between the Tuscon boarding of the SSL & the Crescent OR the Zepher with the Overland detour.

NOL is great if your spending more than one night, you like jazz (go to Frenchman St) and Creole/Cajun food. Though with the new, later arrival of the SSL and the Crescent's early departure, spending only one night in NOL just got a whole lot less attractive, IMHO. I've driven from LA to Tuscon in one day before, but it is a long drive and I think arriving into LA 'road weary' would not be fun, so if it were me, I'd wait on that.

The Zepher, with the Overland detour, is pretty darn attractive. I rode the San Francisco Zepher in 1974, when it still went 'Overland', and it is a nice ride. Certainly not as dramatic as through Colorado, but there are lots of 'distant' mountain views and, at least back then, lots of open country with deer and antelope running in terror from the iron horse. The thing that weighs towards this option is; How many chances does one have to ride it?

If my schedule allowed it, I'd try riding the Overland detour myself. Hmmm, wonder how I could swing that... :unsure:

2) Sunset Limited /Texas Eagle Tuscon-Chicago, then same as #1. Pros: Tuscon time is better, and I want to "check off" the Sunset Limited if possible. Another consideration is that I've got friends in Phoenix I'd like to visit. Cons: San Antonio Layover.
If you book #422 TUC-CHI, you can sleep thru the layover. However if you book #2 connecting to either #422 or #22, you must get off and wait in the station until about 7 AM!
ohmy.gif

I was booked on #422, and did not wake up until the train had already departed SAS! (And then it stopped on AUS, and Jim boarded
ohmy.gif
- but that's another story!
laugh.gif
)

If you book #422 TUC-CHI, you can sleep thru the layover. However if you book #2 connecting to either #422 or #22, you must get off and wait in the station until about 7 AM!
ohmy.gif

I was booked on #422, and did not wake up until the train had already departed SAS! (And then it stopped on AUS, and Jim boarded
ohmy.gif
- but that's another story!
laugh.gif
)
I would have a single through ticket either way (either staying on #2 or grabbing #422) ELP-CHI/NOL (I'd be doing a cash ticket TUS-ELP)...however, I've heard less than pleasant things about the San Antonio layover due to a loss of AC (this being Texas) and power. On the bright side, the layover is much reduced these days.

Now having said that, the point on the Overland Route being rare enough mileage is the strongest point in its favor. The scenery isn't quite that of the old DRG&W main, true, but I have already hit that route EB in summer.

One thing that seems worth asking: How likely is it that the Zephyr will be catastrophically late when it hits Denver? I ask because a "Plan B" came to mind (namely, hitting the Zephyr outbound, driving down to Arizona, and then hitting the Sunset on the way back).

Edit: I think we might have a winner here, since the Zephyr looks locked to low bucket that weekend. I'd still spring for a roomette DEN-SLC (more to make sure that I get some sleep in the event of a delay on the order of what happened with the Chief last year, but also to ensure meal access), and the reroute looks to be in effect on May 17th (when I'd be outbound). The only hiccup might be if I have to give a friend a ride from Flagstaff...but in that case, I can just reverse things.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not take the Crescent and Sunset coming out, to get to say you've ridden two more Amtrak trains, and then Overland back home? If I were you and using points, I would only get the roomette (which is a safe guess to say you'll be using) to El Paso, and then just pay out of pocket for coach to Tucson so that you only get charged two zones.

I did a similar trip last October. I took the SWC to FLG and rented a car. Drove to Scottsdale, then

back to FLG. I was able to rent the car (Hertz) and return it at the station. The departure time on

the eastbound SWC was crazy but there were several passengers boarding at that time.

I also took the SSL/TE from LAX to CHI last year on the 422. It was a long ride, but I was pleased

to have our Jim Hudson join me for breakfast on the train from SAS to AUS. The downside of the 422

is to walk from the sleeper to the diner you must pass through five coach cars which is a hike on

a bumpy train.

Whatever routes you take, I hope you have a pleasant journey!!

Do the Sunset/Crescent trip with the layover in New Orleans. You have seen enough of the northeast. lol. The CZ will always be there and anyway it's always late. Ride the St Charles and Canal streetcars. Great food and night life in NOL. The Crescent south of Atlanta may be an endangered species.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back