points for bedrooms and other travel going up 4/1/12

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manderson

Service Attendant
I just noticed this -- it's going to take more points to redeem a bedroom award. Check out the "redeem for Amtrak travel" page, there's a link to the specifics.

I seriously JUST saw this and was coming over here to post about it!!!

But it looks like roomettes will stay the same, just bedrooms are going up. Plus acela travel.

Looks like the increase is a heck of a lot more than that 3.6% Social Security increase for 2012.
Sure, but don't forget that they haven't raised redemption levels since 2006.

Plus how many working stiffs got a 3.6% or more raise last year?

Saw this on FlyerTalk, by AGR Insider, and then looked at my AGR account, and "sure enuff".

https://amtrakguestr...edemptionchange

or

AGR_Points_Increase.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This, more than anything else Amtrak has done (or not done) in recent memory, will negatively impact my willingness (and ability) to ride. I hope they know what they're doing.

Saw this on FlyerTalk, by AGR Insider, and then looked at my AGR account, and "sure enuff".

https://amtrakguestr...edemptionchange

or

AGR_Points_Increase.jpg
Interesting how the rate of increase varies:

One zone bedroom: +25%

Two zone bedroom: +33%

Three zone bedroom: +20%

Any ideas on why these variances exist?

As a sidebar, it would be interesting to see how much rail fares and accomodations have increased over the same period. Don't those increases offset the higher cost of redeemed rewards?

Thanks for posting. This will probably not impact me at all. As long as roomette fares stay the same I'm happy - and for shorter coach trips (Northeast zone) I'd rather pay cash and save my points for LD roomettes.

Thanks for breaking this out into its own thread, and thanks to Amamba for bringing it up in her thread.

Surprised that this hasn't been mentioned yet!
Ryan, as soon as I saw it, I checked FlyerTalk, and AGR-Insider had just posted it moments earlier, so that's what gave me idea to post here.....

Has there been any mention of roomette/LD coach changes?

As to this happening...eh, something like this has probably been "due" for a bit. Look how much fares and PPR have gone up in the last 5-6 years.

As to the percentage increases, those are because Amtrak likes to do those big things in 5,000 point lumps, I think.

It was inevitable, I suppose. I have a trip in the works with my uncle, per usual, and we usually get the details nailed down before the 1st of April anyway. I will probably be unable to accumulate enough points/year for a bedroom from now on, but can still do roomette. As long as it's sleeper accomodations, I'll take it!

I'm quick to mock AGR for its generally shambolic relationship to business, but this is as classy a devaluation as I have seen. We have nearly three months to book travel, there are still no capacity controls, and we can book travel for eleven months ahead. Compare that to what British Airways and Hilton have done in the past couple of years. Really, while I'm not happy about the increase, I'm pleasantly impressed by how it was done.

That having been said, the first time I booked DEN-SAC-PDX-MSP in bedrooms it was a one-zone award for 20,000 points. Soon it will be a two-zone award for 40,000 points. It's still a great deal, but not what it was, and with the end of transfers through Continental I fear AGR points will be harder for me to acquire.

I'll admit that I initially thought that this was a joke, given that the changes take effect April Fools Day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually manderson posted about it earlier today:

http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?/topic/45219-points-for-bedrooms-and-other-travel/

Maybe a mod can merge the two threads?

But yeah, I think it is actually really interesting that they aren't increasing the roomette redemptions. I do have to say that I thought that it was amazing that the bedrooms weren't really that much more "expensive" in terms of AGR awards compared to roomettes. And while 60K is a lot of points for three zones, keep in mind that it can be used for multiple people and again, with no capacity controls.

I also am very appreciative that they gave us three months notice to book our travel. They would have been well within their rights to make the announcement today and make the rules effective today.

Supply and Demand seems to be at work here, as Bedrooms are much "scarcer" than Roomettes or Coach seats. Hence, the tighter supply coupled with the high demand means it costs more to feed the kitty :)

I'm quick to mock AGR for its generally shambolic relationship to business, but this is as classy a devaluation as I have seen. We have nearly three months to book travel, there are still no capacity controls, and we can book travel for eleven months ahead. Compare that to what British Airways and Hilton have done in the past couple of years. Really, while I'm not happy about the increase, I'm pleasantly impressed by how it was done.

That having been said, the first time I booked DEN-SAC-PDX-MSP in bedrooms it was a one-zone award for 20,000 points. Soon it will be a two-zone award for 40,000 points. It's still a great deal, but not what it was, and with the end of transfers through Continental I fear AGR points will be harder for me to acquire.

I'll admit that I initially thought that this was a joke, given that the changes take effect April Fools Day.
I'll second this sentiment. The other point I'll make is that you're still getting a solid deal almost across the board. Taking the value of a point as being $.01 (what you'd get on an efficient gift card redemption, were you to do so), you get the following:

Code:
Acela First:	$105.00 to $120.00
Business, NE:	$65.00  to $75.00
Coach, NE:	$30.00  to $40.00
Business, Spec:	$15.00  to $20.00
Coach, Spec:	$10.00  to $15.00
BR/One Zone:	$200.00 to $250.00
BR/Two Zone:	$300.00 to $400.00
BR/Three Zone:	$500.00 to $600.00
Rule Buster 1:	$185.00 to $190.00
Rule Buster 2:	$115.00 to $130.00
Rule Buster 3:	$55.00  to $70.00
In most of these cases, you're still looking at an impressive deal: A bedroom from WAS to LAX on the Cap and the Chief in the middle of the month (I picked Jan. 18) runs $1616; going from NYP-LAX on the LSL/SWC is $1787; NYP-SEA on the LSL/Builder is $1475. Even the cheapest coast-to-coast trip on that date (WAS-EMY on the Cap and the Zephry) runs $1158. By contrast, you can also book a MIA-NYP-CHI-LAX Meteor-LSL-SWC that "ought" to cost you $3134 for those rooms for that same price.

Do note that most of those special corridors are seeing major fare spikes this year, too (the Surfliner jumps to mind in particular, but it's pretty steady across the board), while that Acela First ticket still gets you a $306 fare WAS-BOS this weekend.

Is this deal "less good" than it was before? Yes. Is it still a very good deal? Absolutely, particularly if you use it right. And there is still (at least for the interim, and presumably for another year or two; I doubt we'd see a second set of increases this year) the roomette deal.

The other factor that feeds into this sort of thing is also how many unencashed AGR points are sloshing around in the system. As they become more liberal with special double and triple point and other deals, the flip side is that cost of tickets in AGR points also goes up eventually. It is just the dynamics of the market in AGR points.

So if you reserve your trip before April 1st - you still get the old rates - right?

BTW - I wish these were just seasonal, in other words, would be really nice if you could still use the old redemption rates for off peak/winter travel in future years, like November thru March - on non holiday blackouts days. And you have to use more points for April through October (new rates).

So if you reserve your trip before April 1st - you still get the old rates - right?

BTW - I wish these were just seasonal, in other words, would be really nice if you could still use the old redemption rates for off peak/winter travel in future years, like November thru March - on non holiday blackouts days. And you have to use more points for April through October (new rates).
Yes, regardless of the trip date (can be up to 11 months in advance), AGR trips booked prior to April 1 will get the old rates. However, if a trip booked prior to April 1 is modified on or after April 1, the change will require imposition of the new rate. If you book a bedroom Chicago to Seattle on March 29 for 30,000 points and on April 2 decide to change the date of travel, you will have to ante-up the additional 10,000 points to make the change.

Back