The Best Beer

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, you've gotten to the station. Your train is not scheduled to leave for a bit and you have some time on your hands. You are not driving any time soon and you think it would be nice to relax with a good beer. What is the best beer and/or best beer bar you've been to that is either in or adjacent to an Amtrak station?

Remember that Cap City is no longer adjacent to WAS... :eek:hboy:

If you are in FTW, head on up to the Flying Saucer which is only a few blocks away and put down a Pint or 2 from a menu of well over 100 beers! And on Monday, draw Pints are half price! The food's pretty good too.

My brother and I were just in the tiny TRAXX bar in LAUS and consumed several excellent pints of craft beer. I think they had Fat Tire and another really good IPA. $6-7 but hey it's LA. Terrible name, too. Comfortable chairs, and it's in beautiful Union Station!

When I do a points run on the Hiawatha to Glenview, Grandpa's is the place to go! It has a good selection and it's right across from the station.
Ha! I just made the turn at Grandpa's on a points run! :giggle:
Was that a Points run or a "Pints" run Joe? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I usually am forced to have a beer with my Bar-B-Q when I make Point runs to Taylor. even though its not a brew pub the Beer is ICE Cold! Reasonable in Price! and Guiness :wub: is available! :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm. Reno has Duffy's just east of the station and CommRow just west, both of which have specialty drinks and/or microbrews.

A great place in, of all places, Salt Lake City is Squatters. It's about four blocks east of the station, and good for those late-night departures the CZ makes.

Truckee, CA also has several bars across the street from the Amtrak station, but I've yet to go to any of them, and I don't think any of them would have micros.

Here in San Antonio we have 13 departures a week, but only one single train per week that would allow you to have a beer near the station while you waited for boarding. And you'd have to finish that beer at least an hour before your train departed. But since the vast majority of our trains leave between 5:40AM and 7:00AM I don't think most folks would mind much.

When I do a points run on the Hiawatha to Glenview, Grandpa's is the place to go! It has a good selection and it's right across from the station.
Thanks for the tip. I am hoping to do a points run there on Saturday. :D

So, you've gotten to the station. Your train is not scheduled to leave for a bit and you have some time on your hands. You are not driving any time soon and you think it would be nice to relax with a good beer. What is the best beer and/or best beer bar you've been to that is either in or adjacent to an Amtrak station?

Remember that Cap City is no longer adjacent to WAS... :eek:hboy:
FX McCrorys down the street from King Street Station in Seattle has a full bar and great food. Prime rib sandwich is awesome. http://www.fxmcrorys.com/beerselection.php

At CHI, they have some nice brews on tap at The Snuggery (in the food court area) but I prefer to bide my time at their sister joint, The Metro Deli, which is between The Great Hall and The Metra.

It's a nice place with a big, full service bar, good brews on tap, and decent food.

It's also far enough away from the freaks, pervs, and panhandlers in the food court area.

I had a couple of really good local pale ales at a place a block from the station in Portland, OR, called "Pints" - after getting off the CS and waiting for the EB

JoanieB said:
1320799020[/url]' post='328620']At CHI, they have some nice brews on tap at The Snuggery (in the food court area) but I prefer to bide my time at their sister joint, The Metro Deli, which is between The Great Hall and The Metra.

It's a nice place with a big, full service bar, good brews on tap, and decent food.

It's also far enough away from the freaks, pervs, and panhandlers in the food court area.
I have to say I though that bar was rather dismal, though the clientele and beer selection wasn't bad. If youre not looking to leave the station it's a good option though!

Boston Beer Works is about one block from Boston North Station down Canal Street. They have a fairly large selection of in-house brews (and a very large variety of styles), and it's pretty big place with a nice bar area and a large billiard hall. There are also many other bars near BON since the station is in the basement of the Bruins/Celtics arena. Some seem to be pretty nice, but sadly many of them tend to be decked out in sports memorabilia and only serve Sam Adams.

Also, in MKE there's a very nice selection of beer and a classy atmosphere available at Cafe Benelux on Broadway and St. Paul streets in the Third Ward. I walked over to this place when I had a 6 hour layover in MKE (it's about 6 blocks) and was not disappointed.

Bell’s Brewery Eccentric Café is 2 blocks away from the Kalamazoo, MI station. The locally brewed beer is amazing, they have good food and live music most nights. Pretty nice when your train is running 3 hours late because of NS slow orders.

Boston Beer Works is about one block from Boston North Station down Canal Street. They have a fairly large selection of in-house brews (and a very large variety of styles), and it's pretty big place with a nice bar area and a large billiard hall. There are also many other bars near BON since the station is in the basement of the Bruins/Celtics arena. Some seem to be pretty nice, but sadly many of them tend to be decked out in sports memorabilia and only serve Sam Adams.
We actually ate there during the third Gathering, sadly for about half the group, the experience was less than thrilling. One half had a great waiter :) , while the other half had a terrible waiter. :(

We actually ate there during the third Gathering, sadly for about half the group, the experience was less than thrilling. One half had a great waiter :) , while the other half had a terrible waiter. :(
Actually...uh...upon further review, I too have had bad servers at that location. I totally agree about that. Whoops.

If you're only going to sit at the bar and wait out a connection, however, the beer selection is fairly good and Beer Works brews some rather interesting flavors.

A few more blocks gets you to Union Oyster House, which has a nice bar and has been serving since 1828.

Bell’s Brewery Eccentric Café is 2 blocks away from the Kalamazoo, MI station. The locally brewed beer is amazing, they have good food and live music most nights. Pretty nice when your train is running 3 hours late because of NS slow orders.
Beat me to it. There's also the Arcadia Brewery just a few blocks from Battle Creek, Michigan. Good local beer, good food and I think they also do live music. I make an occasional points run KAL-BTL just for that.

I don't drink and I can't ask my late husband (or maybe I can, but not sure how quickly he'll get back to me :p ). In Wilmington, DE there's the Iron Hill Brewery which is about a 15 minute walk along the riverfront from the train station. There are a few restaurants closer to the station, but I don't know what they offer in the way of beers.

Tiki Bob's Cantina - right outside Seattle's King St Station. Spent about an hour there waiting to depart on the EB.

Great selection of beers.and fun staff/patrons.

John

Definitely the best suggested so far, in my opinion. My problem is that I only get there every 14 years or so.

I just had a very good beer (micro brew from Wisconsin) and turkey sandwich at Grandpa's across from the Glenview, IL station.

:) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back