Earning Double Points 7/1 - 9/30

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dovecote

OBS Chief
Here is a heads-up to check your snail mail concerning an invitation by Chase for a double points promotion on the AGR Mastercard. From 7/1 to 9/30, you can earn double points at the following stores: department, discount, electronic/computer, office supply, book and clothing.

Both my wife and I received the invitation on separate correspondence. We have different enrollment codes and the fine prints states "the promotional offer is non-transferable and applies only to the account ending in the last 4 digits referenced in this offer."

I received my invitation in the mail today. This is the first time I have received a targeted promotion. Since I regularly use my AGR card, I cannot imagine that I was targeted for lack of use. Maybe everyone will receive the invitation. I am as happy as a clam. :D :D :D

This morning (before I received the invitation and enrolled), I spent $50 at Target, which I assume is included as a discount store. Hopefully I will get double points for that purchase even though the purchase occured 3 hours before I enrolled.

I received my invitation in the mail today. This is the first time I have received a targeted promotion. Since I regularly use my AGR card, I cannot imagine that I was targeted for lack of use. Maybe everyone will receive the invitation. I am as happy as a clam. :D :D :D

This morning (before I received the invitation and enrolled), I spent $50 at Target, which I assume is included as a discount store. Hopefully I will get double points for that purchase even though the purchase occured 3 hours before I enrolled.
I wonder if you got targeted while at Target. :rolleyes: :lol:

I received a somewhat different offer in the mail 2 days ago. Valid dates are the same: July 1 through September 30. But all spending counts, not just specified categories. And the bonus points are based on reaching certain milestones. If your spending during the qualifying period equals $1500-2499, get 1500 bonus points. Spend $2500-4999, get 3500 bonus points. Spend at least $5000, get 10,000 bonus points. You only get one bonus. They are not cumulative. Still, a 10,000 point bonus on $5000 of spending is the equivalent of 3X points on that spending. Not a bad deal.

This is perfect timing, since we're leaving on a 3-week trip Sunday.

I received a somewhat different offer in the mail 2 days ago. Valid dates are the same: July 1 through September 30. But all spending counts, not just specified categories. And the bonus points are based on reaching certain milestones. If your spending during the qualifying period equals $1500-2499, get 1500 bonus points. Spend $2500-4999, get 3500 bonus points. Spend at least $5000, get 10,000 bonus points. You only get one bonus. They are not cumulative. Still, a 10,000 point bonus on $5000 of spending is the equivalent of 3X points on that spending. Not a bad deal.

I like your promotion better than mine, but I am happy to get any promotion. Have a great trip.

I like your promotion better than mine, but I am happy to get any promotion. Have a great trip.
Does your promotion have a cap on the number of bonus points you can earn? With the promotion I received, the maximum bonus points possible is 10,000, which are earned with $5000 of spending during the promotional period.

Does your promotion have a cap on the number of bonus points you can earn? With the promotion I received, the maximum bonus points possible is 10,000, which are earned with $5000 of spending during the promotional period.
I do not remember seeing a cap. The promotion is at my desk at work and I am at home now so I cannot double check. I know for sure that I will not be spending $5,000 at discount, dept., clothing, electronics, office supply stores this summer. I try to put everything I can on my AGR card, including insurance and other business expenses. I might spend $5,000 this summer on everything, but probably just a couple of hundred at the "targeted" stores; unless I buy a tablet (which might get my total up to a $1,000, depending where I purchase it.)

You might also want to consider "pre-paying" for your shopping by buying gift cards at qualifying stores that you normally shop at. Suppose you plan to do a significant amount of holiday shopping at Best Buy later this fall. Buy a Best Buy gift card before Sept. 30 with your AGR card. Put the gift card away until you're ready to do your holiday shopping (Black Friday?). When you finally do go shopping, pay for your purchases with your gift card. By buying the gift card now, you get the double points. This should work for buying gift cards at any store in the qualifying categories. Unless the T&C of the promotion disallow purchases of gift cards.

I do not remember seeing a cap. The promotion is at my desk at work and I am at home now so I cannot double check. I know for sure that I will not be spending $5,000 at discount, dept., clothing, electronics, office supply stores this summer. I try to put everything I can on my AGR card, including insurance and other business expenses. I might spend $5,000 this summer on everything, but probably just a couple of hundred at the "targeted" stores; unless I buy a tablet (which might get my total up to a $1,000, depending where I purchase it.)
The fine print in my promotion states "There is no maximum bonus points accumulation for this promotional offer". The wife and I took a trip to Tallahassee today and spent around $250 (hopefully 500 AGR points) at Target, Wal Mart, and a few other stores. We will try to get the most out of this promotion. :)

This morning (before I received the invitation and enrolled), I spent $50 at Target
I wonder if you got targeted while at Target. :rolleyes: :lol:
Penny was actually going to WalMart - bur made a wrong turn!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Mine showed Amtrak31. I signed up for the promotion but rarely shop at the

except for Staples.
My promotion showed 31 also. I shop at Staples for my office supplies, but also shop at Target, where I was "targeted."

So, we don't know where we are going to get the double points? I was looking to find out what vendors we get that at. I really like the Frugalist's idea of buying gift cards because we bought $400 last year for Christmas. It would be nice to snag some points by doing that venture.

I received a flyer with frugalist's promotion, which I naturally signed up for.

They really should have proofread the flyer before sending it out, since the promotion is clearly bonus points on all purchases, but in a box labeled "Here's how it works:" there is a line left from the other promotion: "Spend in the categories listed above between July 1 and September 30, 2011 and earn double points."

:eek: I received the #32 promotion in Saturdays mail and it is good for any spending with a limit of $5,000 over the period July 1- September 30. :)

I believe these promotions may be tied to other credit cards you may have since Discover Card has varied promotions during the summer that promote gasoline, hotels, etc during those months. :eek:

The last AGR reward bonus we received was also targeted to those items that we sometimes use our Discover Card for. Restaurants, grocery stores, etc.

So depending upon what type of rewards cards you have and use, AGR may be going after those areas and in the case of promotion #32, they want all the business. :) Not sure, but made some sense to us. Waiting to see if my wife gets a card in the mail.

Back