Acela Connection?!?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anderson

Engineer
Did Amtrak overhaul its no-connection policy w.r.t. the Acela? If I put in RVR-BOS, I'm offered a connection from 98 to 2160; BOS-RVR offers 2153 to 91 and 2159 to 97. I...did not think this was allowable, given the no-hold policy on the Acela.

Edit: For information's sake, the change is at NYP.

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW! Excellent question. I just put in BOS - MIA and was given the choice to take 2153 connecting to 91 (SS) or 2159 connecting to 97 (SM). It is interesting, though, that taking the acela over the NER increased the fare by a pretty decent amount. For two people, it would be $562 to do the acela or $352 for the NE regional. I'm not sure its worth $100/per person to take the acela the 4 hours to NYP instead of the regional when connecting to a LD train.

Edit: I should add that the connecting point was NYP for these as well.

I wonder if this means this will be allowed for AGR purposes? Can you imagine being able to redeem the above trip for 15,000 points in a roomette and getting to take the acela? That would be a GREAT reward redemption for TWO people, considering that a BC seat is 8,000 points each, right?

I wonder if a sleeping car redemption would allow you a First Class ticket on Acela, the way that you get a BC ticket on a Regional if it's a part of a sleeper redemption.

THAT would be a good deal.

The odd thing is you get to pay the higher fare to start 10 mins earlier from Boston to make the same connection in New York. The Regional that leaves Boston 10 mins after the Acela makes the same connection in New York.

OTOH, now they are consistently offering change in Philadelphia from Regional to the Silvers for travel from Metropark, instead of having you suffer a Regional all the way to Washington DC.

I wonder if a sleeping car redemption would allow you a First Class ticket on Acela, the way that you get a BC ticket on a Regional if it's a part of a sleeper redemption.

THAT would be a good deal.
I am DROOLING at that thought. I might have to make a trip to Florida - or at least call AGR and attempt to book one - to find out!

Yes, Amtrak is now allowing connections with Acela to/from long distance trains. However, Amtrak will not hold an Acela for a late running train, unlike a Regional which they will hold.

It should also be noted, and people are seeing this in the fares that they've quoted, that you lose the substantial discount that Amtrak offers when connecting with a Regional and a long distance train. Normally when booking a Regional, you pay on average probably half or less the fare that it would have cost you to simply ride the Regional train. Acela offers no such discount to my knowledge.

Alan, do you know if the acela connection will be allowed for AGR redemptions? This is really quite an exciting development, if so!

I've not heard anything regarding AGR awards connecting to/from Acela.

My guess is that they will not be allowed, unless maybe if one were to use the normal amount of points needed for Acela. But I would not expect BC to be included in a normal award, there is a chance, but I sure wouldn't bet on it. I most certainly don't see them giving away a FC seat on a single sleeper award.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back