Osceola or Creston, Iowa Stations

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alang

Train Attendant
Planning a trip on the Zephyr from Osceola or Creston, Iowa to the Bay Area this summer. Which station, Osceola or Creston, Iowa has the best "long-term" parking? We are moving to the area and are not familiar with either of the stations. Any suggestions or information would be appreciated. Thank you.

It's been a while, but I believe both stations are unmanned. I seem to recall the Oceola station has an pretty basic lot around the station. I'd recommend calling the local police department and ask them about parking there - it might be a situation like Newton KS where the police watch the lot and keep track of cars that are supposed to be there for an extended period.

Osceola, definitely. It has great bus connections (Jefferson Lines stops right at the depot) and a fantastic atmosphere in the depot. As for long term parking, they're used to college kids coming down and dropping off their cars there, as it's the closest station to Ames. It's safe. Ive departed from that station many times before. There's a basic dirt lot around the station for parking. Well lit and safe.

I will second the Osceola recommendation. They have a nice station with a safe parking lot right next to it, literally 10 steps from car to station to platform. I have never had any safety problems leaving a car there many times, nor have I heard of anyone else having problems. I haven't left from there for a year or so, but for years a nice older couple, Pat and J.R., were the station hosts, whom I believe were paid by the city. They opened/closed the station, answered questions, and had a radio so they could help everyone get out to the right side of the tracks for boarding on time. One time I had a dead car battery upon return from a trip, and in the middle of a July Iowa thunderstorm J.R. helped me check the battery, called a tow truck to jump it, and stayed until I was safely on my way. Depending on where you are moving to, Ottumwa is a nice station too, with an actual Amtrak ticket agent, some covered parking and covered boarding platforms, plus it is a "fresh air stop" where the train stops for 10-15 minutes so it is not quite as much of a hurry to quick board right away befor the train pulls out. There isn't anything wrong with the Creston station, it is just a bit smaller, and not nearly as many people board the train there as do in Osceola or Ottumwa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back