Amtrak 40th Special to Strasburg, PA??!!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NE933

Conductor
Amtrak's calendar of events for the special 40th Anniversary trains reveals they will run to Strasburg, PA, on the weekends of June 18 and 19, and again June 25 and 26.

Applying some algebraic proof/logic, the only way any train can move to Strasburg is to go Leahman / Paradise Junction on the Keystone line and switch off onto the interchange track which directly connects with the one and only Strasburg Railroad Line. I would surmise Amtrak would slowly ramble the four and a half miles to Strasburg Station, and predictably cause heart attacks for every kid and adult. If they worked something out with the owners of Strasburg RR to sell tickets for carrying them on the special Amtrak train, we'll have even more heart attacks!! I will probably pass out.

Humorous metaphors aside, does my interpretation laid out above correspond with true and actual planning going on?

rje

Last edited by a moderator:
That's pretty much the only way to do it. It will probably lay over on the extra siding that they have now.

Strasburgs line is the best kept if any tourist line I fan think of.
Agreed.

Strasburg simply is THE best in operating a historic railway. There are more scenic lines, true. But Amtrak offers great scenery. If you want the real deal, Strasburg cannot be beat. They maintain 5 operating steam locomotives in their shops (including the Thomas), plus an entire fleet of WOODEN coaches. What's more is the coaches look brand new, every time i visit. The facilities they have like the depot, switch tower, and platforms are also lovely. I really can't say enough good about the operation there.

From my point of view, part of the reason that Strasburg is so well operated is that it's a for-profit operation. I'll be first to admit that there are many tourist lines that would be harmed by being a for-profit operation (as a matter of fact, I am a member of one such line); but the fact is that when your livelihood is based on happy (and returning) tourists, you will go all out to do the best job possible.

That's not to say that all for-profit tourist lines are good. There are some (that shall remain nameless) that don't seem to understand that by keeping the customers happy and the prices low, you will attract even more people than raising the price of a ticket and offering "upgrades" that really mean nothing.

It would be nice to visit it without Thomas for once, as much as I love the little blue guy. ( I have a formerly Thomas-mad son). (Okay, he still watches Thomas sometimes when we're not home).

Oh well. It looks like I will now have to be in Strasburg one of those two weekends!
Me as well.
And myself! I live about a hour and a half away! Maybe I'll make a stop at the ever so popular Shady Maple Smorgasboard too! My FAVORITE place to eat! What a great place! Check it out for those of you who haven't heard of it!

I always like Miller's Smorgasboard when I'm in the area, but maybe next time I will try Shady Maple Smorgasboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back