Heartland Flyer overnight-What to do in FTW?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shortline

Conductor
Taking my son on a train ride to Ft Worth during his spring break next

week-We're going down from OKC, and we're looking for things to do on an

overnight layover-Probably going down Thurs, coming back Friday. Considered Six

Flags, but we'd need to rent a car, so that's probably out due to the timing of

the return trip-(would be a 2 day rental...) so, what can we get to from the Ft

Worth Station/Downtown area using TRE? Does commuter rail go to the stockyards?

We're planning on staying downtown near the station, but we're open to

suggestions. Thanks for the help!

I'd bail from FTW as quickly as I could and take either the Texas Eagle or TRE on over to Dallas. There is so much more to do over there. And with DART, you can get just about anywhere (if you take TRE, get the all region Day Pass as that will cover DART for the rest of that day).

:hi: Totally agree about taking TRE/DART to Dallas, lots more to do in Dallas but if you are determined to stay in Ft. Worth the City busses stop right out front of the Inter-Model Station and will take you direct to the Stockyards! Also be sure and visit the old T&P Station just up the tracks which is the last stop on TRE after the Ft. Worth Amtrak stop! Google up deals on Hotels, think you'll find Dallas is cheaper all things considered! Six flags and Cowboy Stadium (JerryWorld) are in Arlington, not worth the drive/parking/admission fees IMO! As was said DART will take you all over Dallas on a day Pass!

Last edited by a moderator:
Taking my son on a train ride to Ft Worth during his spring break next

week-We're going down from OKC, and we're looking for things to do on an

overnight layover-Probably going down Thurs, coming back Friday. Considered Six

Flags, but we'd need to rent a car, so that's probably out due to the timing of

the return trip-(would be a 2 day rental...) so, what can we get to from the Ft

Worth Station/Downtown area using TRE? Does commuter rail go to the stockyards?

We're planning on staying downtown near the station, but we're open to

suggestions. Thanks for the help!
Check out the Stockyards in FTW. We enjoyed a visit there. On the other hand, I didn't think much of Dallas.

http://www.stockyardsstation.com/

Hey Fort Worth has Billy Bob's.

http://www.billybobstexas.com/

and the Tarantula:

https://www.grapevinetexasusa.com/ThingsToDo/GrapevineVintageRailroad/tabid/267/Default.aspx?gclid=CJ60zZHzzKcCFaFk7AodzAKNFg

and the 'T' takes you anywhere.

http://www.the-t.com/

Looks like if you get creative you can take the TRE commuter train to DFW and catch the Grapevine shuttle to the Tarantula.

Other than that, check out the official Ft Worth web site and see what else interests you.

http://www.fortworth.com/?gclid=CJvEkpD4zKcCFYrs7QodXhc9Cw

Shortline, as OlympianHiawatha appears to be an Okie, and JimHudson is from Austin, one may want to filter their opinions on Fort Worth,,,

As far as downtown areas, Fort Worth is five times better than Dallas, particularly Sundance Square, connected via The T bus from the (Amtrak) Fort Worth Intermodal Transportation Center (ITC).

And as Henry (and me-little-me)noted, Billy Bob's Texas is good, and it's in the Stockyards.

Shortly west of downtown, also via bus, is the world-famous Kimbell Museum, the Amon Carter Museum (of Western Art), and Fort Worth Omnitheatre-Museum of Science and History, all within walking distance of each other. Dallas museums and galleries pale by comparison.

Two miles south of the museum district is the Fort Worth Zoo, also accessible by bus.

As a point of reference I worked in downtown Dallas for five years. One can access a lot more in shorter distances and timeframes here. As Adrian Monk says, you'll thank me later.

I am planning a similar weekend trip in the near future. Wondering how long they hold the Heartland Flyer Northbound if the Texas Eagles are running really late?

I highly recommend the museum district in Fort Worth. If anything catch a show at the Omni Theatre at the Museum of Science and History. Finish the evening off with dinner at the Fort Worth Stockyards. I disagree with anyone that says there's little to do there! Fort Worth has way more culture than Dallas does.

Perhaps the next morning, head to Dallas on the TRE and hit up the West End Historic District. You can also visit Fair Park and visit one of the museums there. All are accesible by DART trains.

Upon farther review I stand corrected, Fort Worth does have lots to do but still want to encourage you to ride the TRE and Dart to Dallas if you have time. The JFK Book Depository Museum on Dealy Plaza is great and as Chris said the Fairgrounds are worth a look (Green line IINM!). Also McKinney Avenue has Free Trolleys that run up and down this Shopping/Resturant/Club Area, its worth a see! :wub: Being from Austin might be considered disqualifying by some but the 200,000 tourists :eek: here this week for the South by Southwest Music/Film Fest must think it has something going for it as well as the 2,000 a month that move here!! :p

I've always wondered about doing an weekend getaway in FTW or Dallas. Unfortunately nothing at either location has really grabbed my attention as of yet. :mellow:

Being from Austin might be considered disqualifying by some but the 200,000 tourists :eek: here this week for the South by Southwest Music/Film Fest must think it has something going for it as well as the 2,000 a month that move here!
SXSW may be fun for the young folks but that's generally when I avoid Austin as the already bad traffic gets much, much worse. Don't worry, I feel the same way about SA's Fiesta week as well. Best to get out of town and find somewhere else to be during those events. Unless you just love to be in the middle of a sea of drunken humanity. :lol:

The McKinney Ave trolleys are a blast. They are free but I made a donation. I kept taking the same loop in several different cars. I met the woman whose daughter won a contest to name Rosie, the oldest car. One of the conductors promised me a shop tour at the end of his shift, but I didn't have time that day. All of the conductors let me hang out an open door for photos when I wanted. This is another Dallas activity.

http://www.mata.org/

Also free, there is a small, cute rail museum one stop from the end of one of the Dallas light rail lines, in Plano. It has a PCC parked outside. It is one of a very few remaining depots that were also power substations. Interurban Railway Museum

Coming to Ft. Worth from OKC on the Heartland Flyer Friday night 5/8/15 and staying through Saturday for our anniversary. We are not planning on getting a car rental. Want to stay in the area at close reasonable hotel. Assuming DT best area to stay? Any suggestions? Also, what is best way to get around from the station and back? Bus, Uber, Taxi?

Any other suggestions greatly appreciated. Know Del Friscos good steak house but other suggestions??

Thanks!

I'm not really up on the downtown area, but I took a short visit to Fort Worth about eight years ago and stayed two nights in the Stockyards area. There is plenty to do there for a two day trip...take the guided tour of the stockyards, kick back and dance or just watch the entertainment at Billy Bob's next door, explore the various shops in the old sheep pavilion, have dinner in one of several restaurants. I stayed in the Stockyards Hotel which is a restored older property; I like quirky old hotels but if you prefer the big chains then stay at the Hyatt Place. There's also a couple of bed & breakfasts which show up on the Stockyards' lodging page if you want something off the beaten path. Anyhow, that would be my choice for a weekend getaway.

City buses will take you to the Stockyards area from the Intermodel Station as well as the Museum and Arts Districts. Eating and staying in the Stockyards area is more fun as was said.

There is a beautiful below ground Free Water Garden between the Intermodel Station and the old T&P Station which is the last/first stop West on the TRE. definitely worth a look!( At one time Ft. Worth had Six Railroads and Five Rail Stations, it still has three Stations, the Santa Fe Station ( now a food/entertainment venue with the freight house being a Community College) is next to the Intermodel and the T & P ( now Condos) is around the curver from those two as was said.)

Look for the Hot Dog/ Sausage guy outside the Station under a shed by the City Bus stops, he also has Cokes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back