Route Nicknames

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some time ago, I was chatting with an Acela attendant and he started telling me the nicknames they had for the routes. The ones I remember are:

Lake Shore = Late for Sure

Capitol Limited = Capitol Punishment

Any others that Amtrak employees use? He might have said something about the Silver Meteor being the Meatball Express.

Some of the Norfolk Southern route (formerly Southern) between Cincinnati and Chattanooga was called the "old rat hole" due to the many tunnels and curves. It had this nickname in the days of passenger trains and I suppose it still does. I guess it is primarily the Kentucky mileage where this applies. It was never directed to a specific train, just the route itself.

Some of the Norfolk Southern route (formerly Southern) between Cincinnati and Chattanooga was called the "old rat hole" due to the many tunnels and curves. It had this nickname in the days of passenger trains and I suppose it still does. I guess it is primarily the Kentucky mileage where this applies. It was never directed to a specific train, just the route itself.
Actually, Bill, while there are some tunnels in Kentucky, most are in Tennessee. I have driven the highways that parallel this route and it can get really curvy (is that a word?) Lot of grade through the Tennessee hills, too.

really curvy (is that a word?)
I know some girls who are really curvy!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Actually, Bill, while there are some tunnels in Kentucky, most are in Tennessee. I have driven the highways that parallel this route and it can get really curvy (is that a word?) Lot of grade through the Tennessee hills, too.
Brings back memories of the Royal Palm streamliner from Detroit and other Great Lakes cities,Cincinnati, Lexington,Chattanooga,Atlanta,Macon,Jacksonville and Miami. A couple of other trains, too, but the RP took this majestic scenery in daytime.

Not sure about the Empire Builder's nickname, but when I would show my tickets in chicago to Saint Cloud, the train crew would frequently exclaim, "he's going to Saint Cold!" Also, when disembarking in Columbus, WI, the train crew would state (correctly), "You're going to Madison." :)

There is no train with this name anymore, but there used to be "the Congressional" on the NEC which was often referred to as the "Congo".

Some more mundane and less colorful ones, but in common usage.... For many trains with two words in their name only one of the two words is often used to refer to it. e.g. Builder for the EB, Sunset for the SL, Starlight for the CS, Chief for the SWC. Star and Meteor respectively for the Silver service trains.

In the northeast among railroad folks the main WAS - NYP - BOS line is sometimes referred to as the "Spine".

The Metroliner was affectionately called "The Metro" by its close friends. It was common to say you were going to catch the 4 o'clock Metro for New York.

Back in the 1990's there was a 7:35am origination from PHL to NYP (and on to BOS) called the Benjamin Franklin that the regulars called "The Bennie." It stopped at North Philly then ran non-stop to Newark. You could make a 9am start time New York. About 90% of the passengers were PHL-NYP commuters using monthly passes. Everyone knew everyone on there, including the crew. The Bennie out of PHL was like an office party.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no train with this name anymore, but there used to be "the Congressional" on the NEC which was often referred to as the "Congo".

Some more mundane and less colorful ones, but in common usage.... For many trains with two words in their name only one of the two words is often used to refer to it. e.g. Builder for the EB, Sunset for the SL, Starlight for the CS, Chief for the SWC. Star and Meteor respectively for the Silver service trains.

In the northeast among railroad folks the main WAS - NYP - BOS line is sometimes referred to as the "Spine".
That's interesting. When typing off this Board I've used the terms "Zepher","Builder", "Starlight", "Star", "Meteor", in addition to using "LakeShore" for the Lake Shore Limited.

When typing on this Board, the use of those contractions makes me feel like I'm trying to make myself appear more savvy than I really am.

That's interesting. When typing off this Board I've used the terms "Zepher","Builder", "Starlight", "Star", "Meteor", in addition to using "LakeShore" for the Lake Shore Limited.

When typing on this Board, the use of those contractions makes me feel like I'm trying to make myself appear more savvy than I really am.
Actually the main reason I use those acronyms is because I really am lazy. :wacko:

BTW along those lines, the Capitol Limited is often referred to as the Cap, The Pennsylvanian as the Pennsy, or if it is ALC speaking then the Penny :) , and the Cardinal as the Card. I have heard people in upstate New York refer to the Adrondack as the Dack, and the Maple Leaf as the Leaf (I guess the Canadians may get upset with the dropping of the Maple :giggle: ). Also, the New York - Florida trains collectively are sometimes referred to as the Silvers.

I was reading a thread when I spied this:

Two, Amtrak's nationwide network runs mostly on tracks owned by freight rail companies like Union Pacific, BNSF, and CSX. While BNSF does a pretty good job of expediting Amtrak passenger trains, Union Pacific, in particular, seems to do it's utmost to delay and interfere with Amtrak trains, hence some of the nicknames like Unlimited Parking and Utterly Pathetic.
This is pretty funny and goes along with a discussion that occurred in the ACS thread.

Capitol Punishment has been around for quite some time but it is also known as the Crapitol Limited.

Years ago, the Palmetto was unfortunately known as the "Chicken Bone Express." I never liked that nickname but it did live up to its reputation when a group, obviously fed up with the cafe car food and prices, brought a dorm room refrigerator loaded with uncooked but seasoned chicken, macaroni salad, cole slaw, potato salad as well as a deep fat fryer loaded with canola oil to fry the aforementioned uncooked but seasoned chicken and proceeded to have a cook off in the handicap area of an Amfleet II. There are also a firsthand few tales of passengers attempting to fry chicken in the rest room. In one case, the passenger had trouble with the outlet so he summoned the conductor.

He did offer the conductor and I quote "a leg" for his troubles. Such episodes are far and few between these days. I hope.

The Silver Slug is now the Silver Starvation, which is sticking. I love it! I can't remember the Meteor's nickname so perhaps the Meteor can take the Slug.

No one mentioned "The Auto Pain," since it is a pain to get it out of its late arrival/late turn cycle.

The Cardinal was known as the Pigeon for years.

When the Broadway Limited operated, it was known as the Broad-Delay. (Someone should probably slip a mickey into PhillyAmtrakFan's drink so he doesn't see this :giggle: .)

The Crescent was known as the Southern Gentleman. It was one of the hottest trains on the property in the 90s. It was even know to delay Metroliners. That was President Claytor's baby. Once the mail contract ended in the 2000s, it became just another train.

Then there was of course, the defunct Montrea-"hauler," because someone would eventually get "hauled" from the train at some point in the trip....usually in handcuffs. This usually resulted in a delay because these incidents rarely occurred at a major station.

My memories of the Texas Eagle dealt with the 90s era when it was routinely destroyed by the UP. It was nicknamed the Texas "Beagle," (or The Beagle for short) because it was such a "dog" of a train.

However, nothing lived up to its nickname like the Late for Sure Limited. It's nowhere near as bad these days but it will never get out from that nickname.

There was a nickname for the Sunset but I can't remember it.

Then there is ACELA: Amtrak Customers Expect Late Arrivals.
I FORGOT ABOUT THAT ONE!!!!

now_thats_funny-1967.gif

Another classic that needs to be reintroduced to the newbies....particularly these days. I'll start immediately!

I know a couple of people still refer to them as the "late-cela."

Auto Train has had a lot of nicknames, most of them tasteless. I won't repeat them because they are mostly offensive for reasons of ethnicity or prejudice against the elderly and infirm. Tired OBS employees have called it "Auto Pain" or "Auto Strain".

I understand The Capitol Limited's "Capitol Punishment" name came from the relatively short turnaround at the Chicago end.

Our friends on the freight side don't escape criticism: I've heard CSX called "Chicken S**t Express" or "Can't Schedule EXtras".

In the days before Amtrak, railroad nicknames go way back. The Lancaster Oxford & Southern (LO&S) of Southeastern Pennsylvania was sometimes called the Little, Old, & Slow. My personal favorite historical pre-Amtrak railroad name was the East Tennessee & Western North Carolina (ET&WNC) which was sometimes called "Eat 'Taters and Wear No Clothes" or "Exquisite Trains, and What Nice Conductors!". Most local folks called the ET&WNC "Tweetsie", as a tribute to the locomotives' melodic whistles.

Tom

Always Late 48 is one of the first nicknames I ever heard.

Burlington Northern (BN) in the days before the Santa Fe was known in some circles as the Big Nothing. And after a spate of derailments in the 1990's, I heard Amtrak referred to as Amwreck and Amcrash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back