"Havre Chicken" on Empire Builder

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lthanlon

OBS Chief
During my Empire Builder trip last month, I completely forgot to try the locally cooked "Havre Chicken" offered in the Sightseer Lounge. I think it cost $9 or thereabouts. One of the dining car folks said she thought it's from a restaurant near the Havre station called "The Boxcar," but the only place near the station with a name like that I could find is The Lunch Box. Has anybody sampled this chicken?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen the box lunch also. I saw it on the EB on Dec. 22. On my return trip on the 30th I'm convinced I ate it in the dining car as baked chicken. For my dinner I selected the baked chicken. I've seen others order it on previous EB trips and it looked good, but I did not get baked chicken. I got fried chicken that was heated up somehow. It's not that good. The chicken pieces was a small leg, a small thigh, and small back. Not very good. It was dry and overcooked.

I have had it once, was mildly displeased. Of course I didn't buy it until after everybody who had pre-paid got theirs so I got whatever was left over... I never heard anything great about it, on any of my trips on the EB. What is it, $10, still a decent deal if you can't get Dominos trackside.

When I was on the 28 last summer, the LSA made a very detailed announcement about the $9 Big Sky Chicken Picnic Dinners being available in the Lounge and before he was finished, you could hear several doors in the PDX Sleeper flying open as a herd of folks prepared to trek east. Stephanie, our car attendant actually came on the intercom and reminded those folks the Dinners are intended for Coach pax and that our meals in the Diner are included.

I guess that proves that like on an airliner, feeding time becomes a source of entertainment :giggle:

I've eaten the chicken dinner. It was broasted, if I recall correctly, similar to KFC (only better of course). A popular style in the upper Midwest. It wasn't the best chicken dinner I've had, but not bad. And as a coach passenger, a nice alternative to the usual lounge food. I would eat it again on future trips if it is offered again. Not sure what restaurant it was from, but they did say that it was picked up at one of the stops.

Here's probably more than you ever wanted to know about this....

It was offered on my westbound Empire Builder on December 27. The train was sold out and us coach pax were warned that we may not get a dinner reservation (indeed this was the case...the waiting list was started long before the diner clerk reached us). Mrs. fairviewroad and I had not been planning to eat in the diner anyhow, having brought some food with us. But, we decided the purchase one chicken dinner to split between us.

It cost $9.75 though oddly the cafe attendant said the price "used to be $11." $11 would certainly have been steep....$9.75 was on the upper edge of reasonable. The plate included two largish piece of chicken as described by the previous poster. It also included a small dinner roll, a small fruit salad, and a small cobbler-esque dessert. All were acceptable. The cafe attendant said he'd thrown in a bottle of water (again, it was a "small" bottle) as well as a coffee. So, for $9.75 we got a nice splittable meal that was certainly better than the cafe car food and probably on par with the diner chicken in terms of taste if not quantity.

The announcement was made mid-afternoon. The cafe attendant asked people to pre-pay, and put my name on a list. He ordered a few extra for crew and people who later changed their mind. Since the train was running about 75 minutes late (not bad, actually...and we arrived only 15 late into PDX) the Havre stop came right around 5 p.m. (right after the friendly border patrol goons made sure the train was free of terrorists, but I digress). The cafe attendant announced about 15 minutes after Havre that those who ordered could come down and pick up our meal. The chicken was cold, and some people preferred it that way. But the attendant "nuked" the entree portion on a separate plate for those, like me, who wanted it warmed up. Additionally, the attendant--prior to serving the chicken dinners--went upstairs in the lounge car and chased people away from about 4 tables so that those of us who ordered the chicken dinner would have a place to eat. So it became a diner-like "shared meal" experience. The people he chased away were a little put out but these were people who had been camped out there all day playing video games, etc. So I felt no pity.

It is my understanding that the business in Havre that supplies the chicken dinners also supplies the cold breakfast plates for the PDX-leg sleepers. The cafe attendant also said he ordered 40 ham/cheese sandwiches from the same company because he knew he'd run out of food otherwise. The chicken dinners sold out but the ham/cheese sandwiches were being offered for breakfast the next morning. No thanks.

All in all this was a good experience. Not a fine dining experience but a very nice, very thoughtful planning on the part of Amtrak. I don't know if they make money on this or whether they act as a pass-through for the Havre business, but either way it's a nice mini-economic boost for either Amtrak or the Havre company.

"Havre chicken, please!"

"Hey, why did you tell him to take my chicken? I was still eating it!"

"Sorry, ma'am."

It's good to know the Havre chicken deal seems to be working out. Are there other Amtrak routes with similar arrangements?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back