wheelchair passengers

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends on the train and the station. At low platform stations (pretty much every station outside the Northeast, and some in the Northeast), ramps are used for Superliners and hand-cranked wheelchair lifts are used for Amfleet/Horizon-type equipment.

I have a friend that is wheel chair bound How does Amtrak accomodate them for boarding?
Call for reservation instead of booking online, get discount (for both of you if friend needs your help), and tell agent about the wheelchair. You'll be asked questions so they can give you the best service (Manual or power chair? Folding? Friend going to ride in it or transfer?). They'll ask if your friend needs help and the correct answer is "yes," regardless, as that covers getting out the ramp or lift and chasing able-bodied people out of accessible seats.

Some stations pre-board you if you want.

Also RF, you might want to ask your friend his/her preferred wording! I personally am not wheelchair bound (no ropes involved). Generally I use a wheelchair, but sometimes when someone asks how to recognize me, I'll say I'll be wearing a wheelchair. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back